“Appalling”

Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Powys, United Kingdom
“Appalling”
Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

Visited this place tonight for the first time ever. I had read the reviews and it seemed fairly good, what a mistake !

On arrival there were very few tables available unless they were covered in dirty plates and glasses, as there were 4 of us we needed a fairly big table so we opted for one and the waitress duly cleared the table, well nearly, she left glasses on the table and it was not cleaned.

So undeterred I went to the bar to order only to find queuing at the bar!! A great long line of people standing in a queue in Wetherspoons , never seen that before ! I asked the waitress what the problem was she said someone phoned in sick! I only saw the one young girl serving and clearing up and one young girl serving at the bar! I asked if there was a manager on she said there was and when I asked where they were, she said "he's upstairs".

These two young girls were doing what they could but with so many customers, didn't stand a chance.

Appalling service, appalling staffing , appalling management!!!!!!

2 Thank MAS653
Tony C, Manager at Gatehouse, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Hi,

Im really sorry to hear about your poor experience in our venue last week. On this day, we got it wrong. This is not our expected level of customer service, and by feeding this back to us, we will use your experience to make sure we get it right next time.

Tony

Lichfield, United Kingdom
“Frequent visitor”
Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

Me and my other half come here often, whether it's for a hot drink and a catch up, a pint with the lads, or a fry up the next morning!

Food is brilliant for the money and service is fast. Nice range of meals and snacks available, alongside some healthier choices for those of us who are calorie counting.

Nice chilled atmosphere and it's always a pleasure. I recommend the hot chocolate!

Nether Whitacre, United Kingdom
“Fast Food!”
Reviewed 1 February 2014

I met up with some friends here for their leaving drink, and before everyone arrived a few of us decided to order some food to eat.

I opted for the full rack of ribs which came with chips and a beer.

What really surprised me was how fast my food came out! I must have only got back to my table 2 minutes and someone bought my food out to me.

Now i'm no chef but 2 minutes to have my food ready must be a record. So i'm a bit suspicious about it actually being cooked to order! or maybe someone ordered it and didn't want it and it ended up being given to me.

Anyway, the ribs were not to bad, tasty, semi hot! and the smallest amount of chips ever to go next to a full rack of ribs, which after the meal still left my hungry.

But for about £7 for the food and drink in a Weatherspoons i guess you can't moan to much, but it would be nice if the food was cooked to order and Hotter.

Alcohol drinks are not to bad a price and for spirits it was just an extra £1 for doubles.

• Visited January 2014
Tony C, Manager at Gatehouse, responded to this review, 6 February 2014
Hi, Sorry to see you were not wholy satisfied with your recent visit to our Pub. We aim to get our food to your table in under ten minutes, and all food is cooked to order. It seems your order was paid for, then your drinks were made which by the time you sat down, your food was arriving, and did seem ridiculously fast!
Having looked at your picture, there was most definitely a very sparse amount of chips on your plate, and for that i do aplologise. If you would like to pop in and see me at some point, i would be happy to discuss ths further with you, and arrange for a replacement meal.

Kind regards,

Tony Carty
p2198@jdwetherspoon.co.uk
Swadlincote, United Kingdom
“One of the better Wetherspoons”
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Having frequented numerous wetherspoons I find them either very good or very bad, no middle ground. The Gatehouse is in the former catergory being reasonably well decorated and in parts quite cosy with log effect fire. The Food was served quickly and was well cooked and presented, Staff were very pleasant and appeared to be happy working even though it was a Sunday night. Food served until 11pm

• Visited November 2013
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
“Food very nice....”
Reviewed 18 August 2013

Called in for Sunday lunch 19th August...the food was very nice, when we eventually received it. they weren't that busy but we waited almost and hour and were almost eating the beer mats lol but it was worth the wait I must admit..

• Visited August 2013