“Enjoyable Christmas Meal”

Cuisines: British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 9 December 2013

We recently had our work Christmas meal here - everybody really enjoyed it. The atmosphere was good and the food was presented well and was very tasty. The lady who was in charge was very friendly and helpful

1  Thank corrianna

Reviewed 28 November 2013

We arrived early for our booking but the manager managed to fit us in with little delay and soon we were at our table.
It wasn't the busiest time of day (about 3.45pm) but we found the staff to be quick to serve us, helpful and polite.
Starters soon arrived (we all had soup of the day) which was a generous helping, piping hot and very tasty.
The main course was from the carvery where there were three meats which were all nicely cooked, the roast beef was especially tender and again the portions were more than generous. There was a good selection of vegetables and although kept warm under heat lamps had not dried out which is often the case with carvery food.
Portions were so good that none of us could manage a sweet so I can't comment on these however if they were as nice as the other food we had eaten I'm sure they would be good too.
I cannot fault the service or the quality of the food at The Mill and I would have given it an excellent rating however as our visit was later on a November day the light was fading outside and the lights inside were just too dim to compensate. I accept that subdued lighting creates a pleasant warm atmosphere but it was just too dim on the day of our visit and this is why I'm not giving a top score. I realise this is being picky and perhaps something that other folk do not mind but for me I would have liked the place to be a bit brighter. On the other hand however this would not stop us visiting again and is no reflection on the food itself or the service and on those subjects I would have no hesitation of recommending The Mill to anyone. Enjoy!

1  Thank TrickyDicky51
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Standard carvery fayre - waitress took order at table, we go to the counter and queue for the food. However, this is where it got a bit different - choice of 3, you could have them all, supersize yorkies and a nice stuffing ball. Veg choice was varied and all cooked crisply, not boiled to death. Great value and excellent ambiance in a lovely rural setting, although it was cold so we stayed indoors!! The only reason I'm not giving an excellent rating is that (and I'm being picky) the table service was a little slow, we had to wait for drinks order and delivery and when glasses were empty the waitress wasn't very prompt in taking a fresh order. But at the end of the day it's a pub not a Michelin restaurant.

1  Thank mark m
Reviewed 22 November 2013

We went here last Sunday on a Groupon offer of two courses for two for £13. (Normally 8.95 for one or 11.95 I think for two) It took a good 10 minutes after arrival to get any of staffs attention to say we had a booked a table and then had to wait in the bar area for quite some time before being seated. We were told our offer was for the starter of soup and the carvery but could have a different starter for £2 extra. As we were told the soup was red pepper and tomato we agreed to stay with the offer. When served the waitress informed us the tomato soup had run out and we were presented with an unknown green soup. Luckily the soup was nice but I really think we should have been given the option to change our choice when it was found to be not available. Carvery was okay. Generous portion of meat, Beef,Turkey or Ham and the vegetable choice what you would expect. Lovely surroundings, food great value on the offer but wouldn't rush back for the service.

Reviewed 12 November 2013

We have visited The Mill on a couple of occasion over the past few years with friends.....I can say that the most recent visit was the best to date! (not that we've ever had a bad experience or meal there)

The atmosphere hits you as soon as you walk in, lovely old oak beams, rustic brickwork and the old mill machinery encased at the end of the bar sets the scene wonderfully.

Upon getting to the bar you are welcomed with a warm (and sincere!) welcome and everything explained how to order lunch....which can be off the menu, specials board (which has fantastic seasonal food offerings...dexter beef, pigeon, venison to name but a few) or the carvery.

We had the carvery which was spot on - stacks of huge Yorkshire pud's, freshly carved meats (always a choice of 3.....and you can have all 3 if you want) and heaps of freshly-topped-up veg (4 veg and 2 potato) with homemade gravy...heaven!

The chef's, waitresses and Management are all smartly dressed and very helpful, they asked on a few occasions if everything was OK with the meal, and are more than willing to get extra's for you, or keep the drinks coming from the bar to your table.

I can recommend this place to anyone....but be warned, the place is very busy on a weekend and booking is a must to ensure a table....it is a hidden gem!

4  Thank RichardF38