“Happy to find Leonards Croft Hotel”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Leonards Croft Hotel
Ranked #6 of 13 Stafford B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 January 2014

I contacted a few B&Bs and hotels for accommodations for the two weeks over the New Year. I stayed at Holiday Inn Express the first week, really nice place but it was far away from the town center. Of all the B&Bs I contacted, only Maggie at Leonards Croft Hotel replied and offered me a room. Leonards Croft Hotel is a very nice well kept old home. I did not expect first class at a cost of 40 pound a night with breakfast included. My room number 3 was at the top of the stairs and above the dining room. Some reviews mention banging doors and people making noise but that's life, still I did not hear anything unusual or annoying. My phone worked well and their Internet was fast enough. They even waited until I came downstairs to turn on the radio in the dining room. The breakfast was fine and the coffee was good. There's plenty of free parking in their lot and the grand house is the best looking on the street. The rear garden are very well kept up and I bet in the summer a really nice area to sit in and relax. At the end of the day, Leonards Croft Hotel is close to town center, offers a good value for the price and is a place I would consider staying again. I told Maggie about the disturbing price variations in the cab services and she recommended Kaminskis Taxis Ltd and for the rest of my trip I used them. They arrived on time and changed a fair price.

Room Tip: If you want total silence, rent a room on a farm outside of town, there are several choices.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank MSmith_MA

Reviewed 27 December 2013

We stayed here two nights while visiting relatives in Stafford. Everyone was warm and friendly and the breakfast was great. Even our greyhound Sally got a warm welcome with a sausage for breakfast both mornings! Thanks Maggie for that it's not always easy to find such pet friendly accommodation.

Room Tip: The downstairs twin room was very convenient for taking the dog out for a last minute walk without d...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Carol B
Reviewed 24 September 2013 via mobile

I stay in this Family Hotel for 19 nights along with my little poodle Neo,I've got an wonderful room with en-suite bathroom and toilet,coffee and tea facilities and a flat screen TV and wi-fi through out the whole house.

an great full English breakfast in the morning in a cosy dining room,the Victorian build house has a homely and very pleasant atmosphere.

in walking distance of the town centre of Stafford and a good starting point for outings and nearby attractions like Shugborough,Monkey Forest,Alton Towers,Cannock Chase,Great Haywood with it's narrow boats in the canals etc.

I can only say if you are coming to Stafford or Staffordshire this is the place to stay and make your weekend and or holiday worthwhile.

I have the time of my life here and can only recommend it whole heartily !

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Dirk1947
Reviewed 2 May 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night following a breakdown on the nearby M6.

The staff are friendly and helpful and my room was clean and comfortable and despite being at the front of the building quite peaceful. A good night's sleep was followed by a hearty breakfast.

Excellent value for money.

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank Steve D
Reviewed 26 March 2013

I have had our young employees staying with Maggie & Phil for a while now and they are always assured of a warm and friendly welcome to the Leonardscroft.

Maggie & Phil always make them feel at home and are very accomodating in terms of preferences of food, rooms and facilities where possible. It has been good value for money and our employees are pleased that we, as a company have used the Leonardscroft.

The hotel has a 'feel at home' atmosphere and good facilities within the rooms to accomodate families or singles for a short or long stay. It is ideally located for a short walk into town or indeed attending local attractions.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Lee M
Reviewed 22 August 2012

We stayed at the Leonards Croft during the V Festival last weekend for two nights. Mrs Denton took us to our room, which especially considering the price (which was the cheapest available in Stafford, Telford or Wolverhampton) was excellent. It had everything we needed, en suite and with a TV, fridge and kettle. It was also separate from the main house, which was a good thing, it meant we didn't have to worry about making noise when we got back late from the festival. Breakfast was great, both Mr and Mrs Denton and the other staff at the hotel were friendly and helpful. No complaints at all, a great experience and highly recommended!

Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Sahar Z
Reviewed 1 August 2012

I booked this accommodation for 2 nights as I was attending a show in Shugborough Hall. I booked a single room for myself and my dog.

Upon arriving I was greeted by who I believed to be Maggie Denton and booked into a room on the first floor, not ideal having a dog but having being told the ground floor rooms were booked to a lady who could not use the stairs I could understand, however I wasn't shown to the room and just pointed up the stairs to it.

First impressions of the room were ok. Had double bed, ensuite, TV, tea & coffee making facilities, after finally dragging all of my things and the dogs things upstairs after a few trips and taking the dog up, it was then I started to notice what made it less than appealing.

The cord on roller blind in the ensuite was broken, so therefor had to roll and unroll it by hand by twisting the roll when wanting to shut or open the blind, the bracket on the curtain rail in the room was hanging out of the wall and consequently fell out of the wall, upon getting into bed which I did find comfy and duvet was nice and thick, I turned the bedside light off to have the room lit up by the standby light on the TV, bright blue!

I had a good night’s sleep but was disturbed a few times whilst trying to sleep by banging doors in the hotel. In the morning I first went to take the dog out for a walk, and then went down for breakfast, nobody was around, so helped myself to orange juice and cereals, which although were individually packaged, they were soft.

A man, who I believe was Mr Denton, then came out and he asked me if I wanted Tea or Coffee and just said you are on your own aren’t you, he then passed me a menu to order any cooked breakfast. The breakfast was ok, I opted for sausage bacon and egg, and I felt there was plenty (1 sausage 2 bacon and 2 fried eggs) although I wasn’t asked how I wanted my eggs cooking. Upon finishing I just got up and left no-one was around still.

Upon returning to my room to have a shower I noticed the bracket holding the shower head up was broken, therefore making the shower head flop down and not stay upright.

When it came to me checking out on the Sunday, I loaded my car up went back to the room to collect my remaining items and the dog, I came down the stairs and was greeted by a pleasant lady who was cleaning the rooms, she immediately went to get someone so I could pay my bill. I sat in the lounge and waited for a few minutes, Mr Denton then came out and handed me a receipt for the cost of my stay, he didn’t ask me how my stay was, if everything was ok, nor even look at the dog, and calling themselves a pet friendly place I would of thought he would have taken at least a slight interest in the dog. He then went to get the card machine and came back, payment was made and that was it, no thank you for staying just goodbye.

Overall I was rather disappointed with my stay, it cost £80 for me for 2 nights which I did feel was quite expensive for one person and a dog. and for the room I was put in, it felt like I was put in there because I had the dog with me, but that should not make any difference.

I don't think I would go back there again if I am attending the show at Shugborough Hall again next year, a friend who was also attending the show stayed elsewhere and their accommodation was much nicer and cheaper.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo