“Wow what a view”
Review of Stafford Castle

Stafford Castle
Ranked #6 of 35 things to do in Stafford
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I went with my family, at first I thought there is no way that I will make that hill. But once I had I was so pleased, the view is wonderful.

1  Thank katie w

Reviewed 14 November 2013 via mobile

Visited here with my children. They loved the visitors centre because they could dress up in all sorts of clothes including chain mail, helmets and shields, they could also do a brass rubbing. We then walked up through a wood to the castle itself which is a ruin. Lovely staff and filled in an afternoon.

Reviewed 11 November 2013

The last time I visited Stafford Castle, there was a few inches of snow and the sky was overcast, which, for a keen photographer like me, was sad, but I still managed to take a fair few shots in the atmospheric conditions!

The Visitor Centre at the foot of the castle is very interesting for adults and children alike - my sons have accompanied me a few times as they've been growing up.

Walking around the grounds and up to the castle shell [the building isn't the original one, it's been sanitised] is always a nice stroll. Views of the edge of the town and start of the countryside which borders Shropshire are terrific. In May, the woodland boasts lovely bluebells.

Taking a look around the recreation of the medieval herb garden, just by the car park, always fascinates me and the scents of the various herbs are very soothing.

Refreshments of a limited nature can be obtained from the visitor centre and, in the past, an exterior kiosk. The shop has a good range of books and other items, many being 'catch pennies' for school parties! Visitors can dress up in replicas of medieval clothing and examine the replica sections of the famous Norman Bayeux Tapestry there as well as learn about Stafford in Norman times and the 2 Battles of Stafford back then.

The castle site hosts a large number of events during the year, from historic reinactments to classic car shows and at least one kite-flying weekend, some of which I've been to over the years. They're well-organised and very enjoyable.

Reviewed 24 September 2013

We found this castle by accident and spent a very interesting couple of hours enjoying the visitor centre (dressing up, brass rubbing, handling the swords, etc) before heading up the mound to the castle. The information on the route was good. Very good access with a wheelchair and the toilets must be the cleanest public ones I've used for years and best of all I
it's FREE (50p for the brass rubbing) and so is the car park!

Reviewed 14 September 2013

What more could you ask for on your sons 6th birthday . Fantastic venue in the well and wonderfully designed visitor centre in the grounds of the castle, I'm not sure you could get more child friendly with costumes and swords galore . The guide for the party was brilliant ,organising and dressing up of the would be knights and princesses. It was then outside for some charging and marching to the top of the hill for a treasure hunt in the castle and finally back to the visitor centre for sausage rolls and sandwiches . Great to see our heritage being used to great advantage in this way.

1  Thank Simon B