“Another Great Meal!”

Soup Kitchen
Ranked #2 of 248 Restaurants in Stafford
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Soup Kitchen, at the top of Church Lane overlooking St Mary’s Church, has been run by the Sandy family for over thirty years. We pride ourselves on our freshly cooked food and are so flattered that folk keep coming back time and time again to visit us. When the weather is fine our roof top garden is always popular and it’s a great place to relax and let life pass you by. From Monday to Saturday we are open for breakfasts, morning coffees, lunches and afternoon teas. Everything is homemade and our team in the bake house work throughout the day turning out delicious pastries, cakes and other delicacies. We offer table and self-service.
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I've been popping in to the Soup Kitchen on and off for many years, sometimes for a nice cup of tea, other time for a three course meal.

My last visit on 31/5/2014 was for a full on meal. We had a lovely coarse pate to start then I had the home made chili on a jacket potato which was sublime.
The only slight disappointment this time around was the side order of chips we had, which were a tiny bit under-cooked for my liking and didn't appear to be homemade, which given the quality of the rest of the menu I would have expected.

Our waitress, a young readhead with pigtails (I'm so sorry I didn't catch your name) was attentive, polite, and wore a beautiful smile every time she came to the table.
We were made to feel welcome and were checked on regularly, but not too often, to see if we needed anything.

As always the Soup Kitchen was clean and welcoming, I've never seen the restrooms anything but spotless and ALL staff are immaculately turned out.

I can't possibly recommend the Soup Kitchen enough, my personal recommendation would be the home made pies which are delicious.

1  Thank Mick H
ralph911, Owner at Soup Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Thanks Mick for taking the time to leave a review about your last meal with us and I am so pleased that you are a regular at The Soup Kitchen. I will also certainly pass on your kind comments to the red haired waitress who served you on that day - sadly I think TripAdvisor rules preclude me from naming her on here but perhaps you can thank her yourself when you are next in!
Best wishes, Duncan Sandy - owner.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

Excellent food and service, a little pricey and not an every day place to eat but nice to treat yourself and others occasionally

2  Thank George M
ralph911, Owner at Soup Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

George we really appreciate you coming to treat yourself here at The Soup Kitchen and thanks for taking the time and effort to post this review. I hope it will not be too long before you return again.
Kind regards, Duncan Sandy - owner.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

We visited on a busy lunch time. Waitresses rushing about here and there didn't feel like they had enough time to take our orders felt very rushed. Had a long wait for the food. Also my partner wanted to change our baby's nappy he went to find the toilets, which he had to ask a waitress where the changing rolls were. He was told they were only in the women's toilets so my partner had to come back to me for me to take my baby into the toilets to change the nappy. This was disappointing as what would happen if just my partner had come on his own he wouldn't of been able to change my babies nappy. Wasn't impressed with this. We also had to wait for our table to be cleared for a while.

ralph911, Owner at Soup Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

I am truly sorry Lucie that you did not enjoy your visit to us and I can only say sorry. Apologies also over the confusion regarding changing your baby - your partner should have been told he was more than welcome to go into the ladies toilet upstairs which is seldom used. If you do want to venture in again - perhaps at a less busy time - do ask for me so we perhaps can try and make amends.
Best wishes, Duncan Sandy - owner.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Have passed this place a couple of times when in Stafford but never before ventured in. So glad we finally did yesterday afternoon. It is very “olde worlde” inside, with waiting on staff dressed in old fashioned black and white style. Service was excellent and welcoming from the moment we walked through the door.
Colouring pencils and complementary crisps arrived for my five year old with minutes of being seated and the food and drinks followed fast behind, even though the place was very busy. Food was of the soup, sandwich, salad type, nothing to scare the horses but all fresh and very well done. There are a fabulous array of cakes and desserts, which we will have to try next time as we will definitely be back.
A lovely place. Recommended.

ralph911, Owner at Soup Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Hello to you in Liverpool and I am so pleased that you finally came in to try us out. I am also pleased that you found the experience good and that we were also able to help entertain your five-year-old. Thanks so much for this 'fab' recommendation!
Duncan Sandy - owner.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

i go here a lot as i know i can get lovely sandwiches or lunch as i have been coming her for many years ,i allways bring my friends here ,the staff are very helpfull allways take your tray to the table you can have waittress servis if you wish verry helpfull if you have a weellchair as i go with my partner and thy get a ramp ready ,

ralph911, Owner at Soup Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Glenys, thanks so much for taking the time to post this review. I am so pleased that you enjoy coming here and we are so grateful to folk like yourself who return again and again to eat.
Best wishes from Duncan Sandy and the rest of the staff at The Soup Kitchen.