“Nice Pub”

Price range: US$8 - US$30
Cuisines: Pizza, Seafood, British
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: The historic Holly Bush Inn is generally recognised as being the second licensed pub in the country. Dating back to the 16th century the thatched in sits in the quaint village of Salt. We serve all home cooked food using local produce, wherever possible, all served in a relaxed traditional environment by our friendly team. We have a large beer garden for enjoying a glass of wine or a pint of real ale during the summer months. Although we are only a few miles from Stafford town we pride ourselves on being a traditional country pub that serves home cooked food at honest prices.
Reviewed 9 May 2014

We decided to have a drive out one tea time as we were reccomended here. It was myself, husband and two children.

It's in a lovely location. The service was really good. The food was really nice too. Me and my two children had the Beef Sunday Lunch and my husband had the homemade Balti, served with rice and naan bread.

My meal was lovely but I have to say my husband choose the better meal, the balti was really nice I wished I'd of ordered that but at least I know for next time.

There are newer reviews for The Holly Bush Inn

Reviewed 2 May 2014

I visited the Holly Bush at lunch time and was very happy with every aspect of the service, food and ambience. Having read some of the reviews on trip advisor I was nearly put off but I am glad that I wasn't. My husband chose the mixed grill with hand made sausage, variet of meats including kidney and liver, which was all cooked to perfection, along with the home cooked chips. The sides of home made coleslaw and onion rings were an added compliment to such a lovely dish. I overhead the diners on the other tables who equally seamed impressed with their dishes. We have small children so are not able to go as often as we would like as this is not a pub for push chairs and small children due to the restricted space, but lovely for slightly older children or adults only. My recommendation, GO, you will not be disappointed with the village pub charm and quality.

Geoff H, Owner at The Holly Bush Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2014

Hello,

We are so glad you decided to come and try us and even happier that you enjoyed your visit. A big thank you from the team for the great comments and recommendation. We all hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

Saturday evening Diner at the Holly Bush Inn has been one of the highlights of our annual visit to the Stafford International Classic Motorcycle Show for at least 20 years now but last Saturday was a disappointment. Tomato and basil soup so thick it was like porridge and mixed grill with seriously undercooked liver and sausages. Same large helpings and good service though so hope this lapse in quality was just a one off.

1  Thank AB123100
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We tried The Holly Bush Inn whilst staying nearby for the Staffordshire Classic Motorbike Show, and for my birthday, after reading about it in the Good Pub Guide 2012. We called in for a drink on Friday tea-time on our way to our hotel to see what it was like. We were impressed but a little disappointed that they don't take table bookings. The pub is fairly small and it was pretty busy when we first visited. As we wanted to make sure we could have a nice table the following evening for my birthday we wanted to book one. However, we had a change of plan and decided to eat at around 3o'clock, they serve food all day. The menu was quite varied but the Greek Style Lamb with Greek salad caught my eye straight away, being a huge fan of Greek food. The meal arrived in good time and was lovely, albeit maybe a little greasy tasting due to the amount of olive oil used on the salad. The lamb fell off the bone and the salad was very good, along with the rather large jacket potato which came with it. It was a lovely meal and I enjoyed which is the main thing. My husband also thought the meal was somewhat greasy but he enjoyed it too. If we were in the area again, we might go back, but I doubt it.

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to review our establishment and glad to hear you enjoyed your Greek lamb, it's been one of our top selling dishes for over 20 years now and we love to hear people are still enjoying it. In regards to the 'greasy' salad, i'm a little confused. We have never dressed our Greek salad with olive oil or any other dressings, we allow the customer to make this choice by providing such, if they wish.

I can only suggest that the cooking juices from the lamb are perhaps being mistaken for olive oil. The lamb is slow cooked for over 8 hours so the juices form quite a thick reduction and lamb cooking juices naturally will form an olive oil like consistency due to the higher levels of fat within the meat cut. As the lamb with cooking juices and the salad are served on the same plate, it is inevitable that they come into contact with one another.

All being said, should you feel to be unhappy with any aspect of your meal, please inform us and we will correct the problem immediately.

We do hope you choose to visit us again and we look forward to seeing you.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Having enjoyed a meal here before with my mother, I was looking forward to taking my husband to share an equally enjoyable experience. However, this was not to be today. My husband chose the gammon, which was quite average but edible, although the chips were clearly frozen. However, a similar dish could have been consumed at an average brewery-run pub for less than this, which was over £11. Worse than this, however, was my choice, the wild mushroom stroganoff (supposedly a "special"), which was absolutely awful. Not only did I have no idea what I was eating because it was that tasteless (and therefore I stopped eating it after a while as it had clearly just come out of the microwave), but I also came across a piece of metal in a piece of rice (my husband deduced that it had come off one of the scourers whilst they were cleaning the pan). We did get our money back for that dish but we will not be back.

1  Thank sasha1672

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear that you were disappointed by your last visit. We take all our custom very seriously and thank you for taking the time to provide feedback.

I'd like to address the comment in regards to frozen chips first. We, in absolute no manner, use frozen chips. We purchase 25kg sacks of raw potatoes direct from a horticultural market. We wash, skin and cut our chips by hand, in house and have been doing so for well over a decade. We in fact have a full time employee, who's sole job is to produce our chips. I'm sorry to hear you didn't enjoy them, but they are not frozen chips.

I am very sorry you thought the mushroom stroganoff tasteless, there has clearly been a mistake made here and the piece of metal you found, which indeed was from a metal scourer used to clean the pan it was cooked in, most definitely should not have been there. This is a genuine mistake of ours and we do not shy away from responsibility for our mistakes. I'm glad to hear your money was refunded for this dish as this is our policy in these situations.

I would like to stress at this point that the fact the piece of metal was from a scourer used to clean the pot the mushroom stroganoff was cooked in, clearly proves that the food is not frozen and 'out of a packet'.

As stated previously, there was an error made whilst producing your dish and we apologise for this. We are more than happy to admit that, unfortunately, mistakes get made but we always do our utmost to rectify the situation. Should you feel unhappy with your meal in any manner, please don't hesitate to inform us and we will fix the problem immediately.

I hope you do choose to visit us again and thank you for your feedback once more.