“Great all-round overnight place for M6 travels”

Premier Inn Stafford North (Spitfire) Hotel
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Stafford
Reviewed 7 March 2014

My partner and I stopped off at the Spitfire Premier Inn a few days ago. It was all you'd want or need on a north to south (or visa versa) overnighter.

The reception staff are helpful and friendly. The entire building from reception area to hallways to rooms feels solid, restful and as though a lot of effort has been put into making you feel welcome and able to relax.

The room itself was a decent size. Not too big, but by no means small either. It was all fresh and clean, with nice soft carpets and comfy but solid furniture. The bed was reasonably comfortable and the shower was both easy to use and powerful.

The place was quite quiet. I could hear some traffic sounds but not often, and it wasn't loud. The biggest sound problem was in the morning when other guests were shutting their doors; the doors shut with quite a loud click/bang, which woke me several times, but then I am quite a light sleeper.

Breakfast initially felt slightly expensive, particularly for the cooked option, but this is somewhat mitigated by the fact that it's all you can eat/drink. Also they allow children under 16 to eat free, which although no use to me, I thought was good for families.

The food itself was okay: nothing special but set me up for a day of driving.

If you do go for the hot breakfast option, be aware that if you arrive towards the latter end of the breakfast period the cooked food may have been taken off the buffet hot plates and so won't be self service. This does not mean you can't get hot food: it means it will be cooked from scratch (and to order) for you when you arrive, and likewise if you want seconds etc. This has the benefit of it being fresh when you eat it rather than the food having sat out for hours, but it does mean there will be a bit of a wait while it's cooked.

Overall, I'm quite happy with our stay. The only problem I had was that I didn't drink the cup of tea I made before bed, as I found it had an incredible amount of limescale in it. I don't know if that was a problem with the kettle in the room or the local water (I live in Edinburgh where the water is generally softer and less prone to limescale-y kettles).

It was my first stay at Spitfire. I have stayed at its twin just over the road, Hurricane, twice before. I think I slightly prefer Hurricane as I remember the bed being a bit more comfortable, but there's really not much in it. I would perfectly happily stay at Spitfire again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 2 March 2014

This was a break to a journey to London from Scotland.
Very friendly reception, clean room, good parking, good all round. Nice and quiet place at night.
I did notice some beer bottles in the carpark in the morning, that I hadn't seen the night before, but didnt hear any noise or see any damage.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 February 2014

As you would expect with Premier Inn you get a good standard room, it was clean and comfortable and a good standard throughout with friendly, helpful staff. The only issue that I had was the noise from the busy road directly outside up until about 11pm and again from about 4am. The pub next door is a typical chain pub with cheap food (price and quality) on the dinner menu but offers a great choice at breakfast. Staff here are friendly and efficient and make you feel welcome.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 January 2014

Good access to the motorway, room clean and tidy, friendly staff. nice "all you can eat" Chinese restaurant over the road. Breakfast good. Service very prompt. Flat screen tv. The bar is only open until 11pm.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 January 2014 via mobile

I had a lovely big comfy bed, and the room was clean and spacious.
The premiere breakfast which you go next door for offers a good selection for even the pickiest of eaters.
Easy and informative check-in staff.
My only gripe with premiere inn is the wi-fi is only free for 30mins.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 January 2014

I was travelling with my 80year old mother and the facilities are great for any age, only thing that could have been an improvement is a walk in shower, but the bath is quite low so we managed. Will definitely use again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Stayed at the hotel just after Christmas, the staff was really helpful, we are both disabled and the room they had given us was on the 3rd floor, they then changed it to a disabled room on the ground floor.
The only let down was the food in the Red Hill pub, we had the carvery and you could have souled your shoes with the beef. Spoilt a good nights stay. The breakfast was all right, in fact very good.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family