“OK for accessibility to Stafford - avoid Room 18 when it's hot!”
Review of Vine Hotel

Vine Hotel
Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Stafford
Lewes, England, United Kingdom
“OK for accessibility to Stafford - avoid Room 18 when it's hot!”
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Stopped by with my wife for a night's B&B whilst on business in Stafford. Saw The Vine after leaving the Tourist Information Office with a list of out of town residences and decided to 'give it a go'

First impression was of an old & quaint, Coaching Inn right in the centre of Stafford (tick). It has it's own car park (tick) and we were greeted by very friendly staff (tick). We hadn't booked and only wanted a room for one night, so didn't expect to get the best room in the house, however, we also didn't expect to get the worst either!

Position. At the rear of the property over the kitchens.
Size. Good size both room and bathroom.
View. Back yard & smoking area.
Facilities. Tea, Coffee & Biscuits (tick) Bottled Water (tick) en-suite (tick) Bath (tick) with Tap Shower over. Hot water (tick) Lighting (just) Bed (awfully springy) TV (wall mounted with Freeview)

It was a warm night and therefore it meant we had to have the window wide open - the bathroom window was painted into position. Outside was a fire escape (very handy, as the alarm went off inadvertently soon after we arrived!) which was a security risk whilst not in the room or perhaps asleep.

Mentioning sleep; in between bouncing around all night on the far too springy mattress, we were treated to a constant whirrr from the kitchen extraction fan immediately below. 7-8 minutes off then 3 minutes on, all night.

Breakfast couldn't come too soon and was served by a very efficient Waiter who seemed to be doing it all on his own, however, no complaints at all there.

Overall, I liked the Hotel and it's Staff but would ask for a different room next time.

Room Tip: If allocated room 18, ask for another!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Bedfordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We had to go to the area for a nearby event and was told about this place by friends. Really glad we listened to them as we had a wonderful stay. The receptionist took our details and showed us our room with a smile which set the tone for our stop. The room, although not the biggest had everything we needed and the bed was extremely comfortable.The food was very good, especially breakfast. What really made this special for us was the attentiveness of all the staff, nothing was too much trouble. I know we will go back.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2014

The Vine Hotel is in a good location and central to Stafford. We have stayed here on several occasions and never been disappointed. The staff are very friendly and nothing is too much trouble. Good food and value for money, (worth getting out of bed for the breakfast!) Rooms have all the necessary amenities including tea, coffee and biscuits. On our last visit we met up with friends and all agreed that we would make it a regular meeting place. Perfect location for exploring Stafford.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Having looked at the reviews on trip advisor I was a bit put off due to the negative feedback people had wrote about the hotel but I choose to give it a chance seeing as my work was taking me to Stafford town centre and the hotel is situated in the town centre which was ideal.
I am glad I did give it a chance as I had a great stay at the hotel. The food I had on an evening was delicious, the room was clean comfortable and great value for the price and my breakfast was very nice. The staff are welcoming, attentive, friendly and always smiling which some hotels I have stayed at could learn from.
Having spoke to other guests during my 3 day stay I found that they use the hotel on a regular basis and shared my opinion on how great the place is especially as it is an old building, (I think the receptionist said 14th century) which in my opinion adds character. I definitely will be returning to the Vine Hotel and would urge travellers to Stafford to not be put off by the negative comments and give it a try yourself as some people just can't be pleased.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We stopped in room 4 on Saturday 14th June. The room was shabby and dirty. The carpet had stains all over it. The built in hair dryer didn't work. The bathroom window was covered in mould which could have been cleaned off if they wanted to. The bathroom floor was dirt and the shower head was full of that much lime scale it dripped out of the top of the head. We had to clean the kettle out six times before we could have a cup of tea out of the dirty cups provided. One of the bedside lights did not work. The breakfast was inedible and the breakfast staff didn't have a clue what they were doing. There was a comments card in the room but no pen was provided to fill it in. Luckily I had one in my bag! Both my husband and I felt robbed at paying £79.99 for the night. Now don't get me wrong, we happily pay over £150 per night for a nice hotel in this country anytime, but we regret ever stopping here.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Helen D
Vadodara, India
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Good Location - right in the center of stafford market.
-----------------------------
Single bed-rooms are small and do not give a hotel type feel.
-----------------------------
However, double-bed-rooms are larger and have bigger bathroom. Actually, A double bedroom with single occupancy feels good here, given that u are not 6 feet tall.
----------------------------
Breakfast is good, bar is even better (old style).
----------------------------
But overall, cost is very high compared to other hotels with similar facilities.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Hertfordshire
Reviewed 3 June 2014

The Vine is a lovely, historic building, very atmospheric and a wonderfully warm welcome when you arrive. The room was nice and clean, the bed extremely comfortable, and the staff are exceptionally friendly and helpful. In terms of value for money, the Vine really takes some beating. It is situated right in the heart of Stafford, yet is quiet. If you book online, there is 20% off your meal should you choose to eat, which is fantastic value as the full price is very reasonable anyway. Breakfast is whatever you want cooked however you want it to be cooked. This is somewhere we would have no hesitation in returning to.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple