“A great family suite”

Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Stoke-on-Trent
stoke on trent
“A great family suite”
Reviewed 18 October 2012

What a lovely surprise. We stayed in a family suite and were very impressed to find a corner bath and a very spacious sitting/sleeping area which included bunk beds. The room had been recently refurbished and it compared nicely with recent stays in a Hilton suite. The breakfast wasexcellent and the hotel had a lovely family feel. I do not live far away, but I will stay here again!

Room Tip: Family suite is excellent
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 16 October 2012

We booked three rooms at short notice and the staff were particularly professional, helpful and friendly. Room and meal offer were great value, room décor a little tired maybe, but minor compared to an enjoyable stay. Congratulations to all staff.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Annakintoo
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 October 2012

Paid £80 for double room...

Overall if I'm honest I did not have high hopes for this hotel, however after checking in I really didn't have any problems.

The room was well sized although did have a bunk bed in which was a little odd, clean and comfy bed.

There was plenty of room to park, I did not have dinner as we went over to Frankie and Bennies round the corner which was excellent but breakfast wasn't bad.

Really not much to say, it was a bed to sleep in, nothing amazing.... However wasn't really impressed with the friendliness of the staff they should pop round the corner to the Premier Inn and see how well they treat their guests.

This is a hotel for business, if you are a family maybe visiting Alton Towers I guarantee you will be happier at the holiday inn at Trentham Gardens.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 October 2012

Our room was spacious and neat, but the bathroom wasn't sparkling clean or modern - there were some hairs on the floor and the grouting was discoloured and flakey. The room smelled of cigarettes when we first arrived, - so we had a bad first impression. The service was good at the desk and in the restaurant, where the food was good. We didn't use the pool or other facilities. Breakfast was ok too. The car park was big. All in all, an average stay with an average price.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
GMstoke, Manager at Best Western Plus Stoke-On-Trent Moat House, responded to this review, 8 October 2012
Hi Crease112

thansk for the review. I'm sorry you only found us to be average thats not what we aim for. Could you message me with the number of the room you stayed in please so I can follow this up with housekeeping. We are a non smoking hotel unfortunately some of our guests think its acceptable to smoke in our rooms, Sometimes no matter how much we try to get rid of it the smoke odour lingers - if we'd known we could have you to a different room.

I'm glad that we had some redeeming features with the service in reception and the restaurant and you found the food to be of a good standard.

I hope your experience with the room won't put you off staying with us in the future.

Thanks again

Clare
UK
Reviewed 30 September 2012

I stayed here around exactly the same time last year and was very pleased with the hotel in general. The food this time has gone considerably downhill in quality.

Myself and 2 other colleagues stayed here over a 3 week period, during which time we would eat in the bar at lunchtime and the restaurant in the evenings. I normally had sandwiches for lunch and most times the bread was dry and stale. Breakfast was very average, where staff gave very little attention to refilling the buffet area when items had been used by other guests. It was pure luck if there were any croissants at breakfast time for example and normally we would need to ask for them to be refilled.

For the price they charge for meals, the quality is extremely poor. Meat quality is particularly poor. I had the Thai Green Chicken Curry twice and both times the chicken was full of gristle. The steak is also particularly poor quality (lots of fat and gristle running through 3 of the steaks I ate) which is surprising when an 8oz steak costs around £20.

The quality of food in general is very poor. They charge a lot for their food, with our meals on average coming to around £30 per person each night. The ingredients are badly prepared, no effort is put into presentation and I don't think the menu has been updated since I stayed there last year. We got a side portion of vegetables one night and it looked like the "chef" had just poured the carrots straight out of the bag and onto the plate - they didn't even look like they'd been washed.

Into our second week at the Moat House in Stoke on Trent, I discovered something in my food that prompted my colleagues and I to never EVER eat the food in there again !. I purchased a sandwich for my lunch one day, which came with an accompanying salad. While eating the salad, I noticed something that I assumed to be a caper. I'm not a huge fan of capers, so I left the item to one side. On closer inspection, this turned out to be a rabbit dropping.

I have attached a photograph of it, so you can make your own mind up. I have no doubt in what I found however. If you look closely, you will notice it's full of digested grass. This resulted in my colleagues and I boycotting the restaurant for all meals other than breakfast.

On discovering the rabbit dropping in my salad, I spoke to the waitress at the time who was very apologetic and looked very shocked by my discovery. She refunded my lunch. I did not however hear any more about it and certainly did not get any form of apology or compensation from hotel management.

There is a very interesting mixture of staff at the hotel, which I have also found different to my previous stay. The reception staff are excellent. Very attentive and always happy to please. The majority of staff in the bar and restaurant however, all look like they just don't want to be there. We were at the bar one evening and had to wait for around 20 minutes to get any service. If there was a local pub, we would have gone there instead.

There are plenty of restaurants in the nearby retail park that offer much better value for money and much better service than the Best Western Moat House. There is a Frankie and Bennie's just round the corner with really friendly staff and a great welcoming atmosphere. Their food is also excellent with a great selection. Incidentally, you can get a 16oz steak there for £20....double the size of the hotel and much, much nicer.The waitress even smiles when she serves customers.

There is also a Pizza Hut in the same retail park and town is a very short taxi ride away, where there a great selection of restaurants.

To summarise, the hotel in general is very very average and has gone downhill in the past year. The rooms are well looked after and the facilities are excellent (gym, spa etc). There is really not a huge selection of hotels in Stoke, so it really is the best of a bad bunch. I would definitely stay there again, due to there being no other option. I certainly would not be eating in the restaurant and don't expect any of my colleagues (who visit the area regularly) will either.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank soundscape
Oh dear Soundscape we haven't impressed you at all have we?!

I'm sorry you found the food during your stay poor - this isn't how we like our guests to feel at all. Did you raise any concerns with anybody while you were satying with us?

I'll discuss your comments with all concerned and carry out some more training.

With regard to your experience with the Cesear Salad I'm having great difficulty in working out how a 'rabbit dropping' could have made its way into it. Although I have to admit I'm not a leading authority on rabbit waste. All the leaves are washed by our supplier and then again by us on site. I've taken on board your comments regarding the quality of Thai Green Curry and the steaks and have raised these with our butcher/supplier.

Its a shame that you boycotted the restaurant for all other meals except breakfast you wouldn't have had the chance to sample our great offer of two dine for £29.99 including a glass of wine.

Next time you stay with us it would be great if we could meet and go through your issues and then hopefully you'll feel able to give the restaurant a second chance?

Thanks again for your review

Clare
S Wales
Reviewed 28 September 2012

Stayed on business, so this was not my choice of Hotel.

Check-in was OK with just a short wait at reception. Breakfast is supposed to start at 7am, on day 1 at this time there was one member of staff trying to prepare the food area on her own. She wouldn't let anyone in until 7.05am by which time there was still no hot food out. As I was in a hurry I chose from the cold buffet & then went to sit at my designated table to my disgust the chair was filthy with cigarette burns on it.

What really lets this Hotel down is the bar staff. They don't seem the slightest interested in "customer service" and aften go about their work (making coffee etc) without acknowledging customers waiting at the bar. One female bartender took an order for food from one guest then left the bar area telling witing customers "you'll have to wait until a few minutes" and dissapeared only to return to wipe the clear a few glasses from tables & stil not serve the growing line of customers. The tables in the bar area were also filthy & looked like they had not been wiped for days! At one time a Manager told a scruffy lad behind the bar to tuck his shirt in which he duly did mumbling about the Manager & then switched the TV to the Magic music channel & watched the video.

I had dinner in the restaurant one night which was average at best (had the tail end of a buffet which seemed like it had been out all day). I finished with the ice-cream which was the cheapest tasting rubbish I had ever experienced.

The electric shaver socket did not work in the room which I reported the next morning. On return to the room I was pleasantly surprised to see a new fixture in its place. Alas the next morning when I tried to shave the new socket did not work! The room temperature was 25.5C when I entered on day 1 & despite setting the A/C to -3C the temperature never fell below 24C over 3 days!

The bathroom - some mould around tiles & bath area, a toilet seat that would not stay in the upright position (my pet hate), and a half empty bottle of shampoo when I checked in on day 1.

I would not stay here again & would not recommend it to others unless service levels improve & the public areas are cleaned properly.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 September 2012

We stayed at the Best Western Plus Stoke-on-Trent Moat House for a weekend break when we visited Alton Towers. In the last few years, we have gone to Alton Towers over three days and stayed at the Moat House each time. It is only about 20 minutes drive away through picturesque landscape.

The standard of the hotel is very high. It is a modern building and has excellent facilities (Spa and Swimming Pool) although we didn't use them. There is plenty of parking available in the hotel grounds.

The reception area is quite open and the staff at reception when we checked in/out were friendly, very helpful and efficient.

Access to the rooms is very good either by stairs or lifts. There are a number of options for the rooms. This time we had a family room with a double and single. In the past we have stayed in a family room with a double and bunk-beds. The rooms are well furnished, clean and the beds were very comfortable. After a long adrenaline filled day at Alton Towers, believe me you need a good bed for the night. The rooms have an ensuite bathroom/shower which is well furnished. Shaver point and hair dryer fitted in the bathroom and the usual bottles of shampoo/shower gel/soap supplied and topped up as required and lovely thick towels as well.

Buffet breakfast is in the restaurant on the lower groung floor. There is a wide choice of food available. A full selection of cerials, fruit, tea/coffee/juice and full range of cooked breakfast. The quality and quantity I found to be excellent. The restaurant staff are efficient, helpfull and friendly. We didn't have dinner there as there are a number of restaurants within walking distance and there is a big 24 hour Morrisons (with petrol station) just a short drive away.

We have gone back there for a few years now and will do so again.
I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Family rooms are on the lower floors.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Rahat_H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stoke-on-Trent
Quality Hotel & Leisure Stoke on Trent
Travelodge Stoke on Trent Trentham
George Hotel
George Hotel
#1 of 1 in Burslem

Been to Best Western Plus Stoke-On-Trent Moat House? Share your experiences!