“A great stay again, disappointing restaurant menu”

Best Western Plus Stoke-On-Trent Moat House
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Stoke-on-Trent
Reviewed 23 March 2014

My husband Dave and I have been here a couple of times before and really enjoy it. Most of the staff are so friendly and when you get a welcome like we did from receptionist Dawn, its great that they actually remember you considering the amount of people come through their door. On handing over my best western reward card, was immediately upgraded, it happened to be the room we have had the last two years we have been there. Excellent.
Two years ago when we were there first, we didn't bother with the restaurant in the evening as the menu was boring and overpriced. Last year a complete turn around, fantastic menu, great choice in that you could go back every evening and still find something exciting. The food that was presented was amazing. What a disappoint then to find that basically it has gone back to square one. My husband chose the Portobello mushrooms as a starter, one came one tiddly mushroom and at the cost of around £7 most expensive mushroom he's ever had. He went for the fish and chips which was lovely. I opted for the seabass which was £16.95. The flavours sounded nice. On arrival, I was disappointed, hardly any flavours came through and most of all one fillet, really? Nor was it pan fried. Obviously one of the frozen ones and had been in the oven. I was still hungry when I had finished this. The staff weren't exactly friendly, such a difference to last year where everyone was made a fuss of and you had a bit of banter with the staff. We decided to have a look at the sweet menu, still waiting for the waitress to come back. Now on the up of the restaurant, the lady that runs the breakfast is lovely, she runs a tight ship and it shows. She remembered us as well! Pity she doesn't have a look at the shoddiness in the evening. We ate in the restaurant again two nights later, we had the choice of the menu or a carvery. I asked how much it was £20, for a carvery. Seriously what do they think they are running. There is a carvery five minutes from the hotel at the price of £5.99 which couldn't be faulted and pleasant staff who bothered to ask if everything was ok. Considering the amount of local competition for food around the area, please please bring back the way it was. I still have a picture of my seabass last year. Two fillets on a bed of crushed potatoes with peppers, tomatoes, etc. Beautiful. Was defo compliments to the chef. Obviously not the same one. This is now a lazy menu, which is expensive and boring. Salad add chicken or salmon, pasta add chicken or salmon. Get inventive. Even the bar menu was expensive. £11 for an omelette. I don't think so.
The only other complaint was the pillows. Oh me for a four star hotel especially a deluxe room, the pillows were awful to the point of I had to use a cushion to try and get comfie.
All in all we had a good time, just maybe really disappointed that it wasn't as good as before. We will be back and hope to see improvements in the restaurant and the pillows!
The reason for being in Hanley was for my hubbie to go to a game at his beloved Port Vale. We had a fantastic day. They have their own catering on site. It was superb. Beautiful three course meal from start to finish, with fresh buns to go with the soup. Excellent service and pleasant staff. Maybe someone from the hotel kitchen should try it out and get an idea what good food actually is. Louise and Dave

Room Tip: Get a Best Western card and get a free upgrade. We like having a room on the fourth floor at the fr...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
James M, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Plus Stoke-On-Trent Moat House, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Dear Louise & Dave,

Many thanks for your review as a returning guest to the hotel.

I am pleased to hear that overal you had a enjoyable stay with us and recived that warm stokie welcome from Dawn.
I was dissoppointed that you didn't enjoy your meal in the Restaurant our menu's are set via Head Office and do change seasonally but we do daily specials to try and henance our offerings. I will pass on your feedback to our food & beverage commitee for the next menu launch.

I do hope that none of the above will affect your choice in hotel when next visiting the area for the beloved Port Vale.

Guest Relations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,524)

Reviewed 20 March 2014

I went here for a works do and was expecting average food given to the masses. However, I was pleasantly suprised by the Goats Cheese Tart and Sea Bass!

Good accommodation too, with good facilities!

Really enjoyed the breakfast also!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 March 2014 via mobile

Hotel is pleasant when you walk in and front desk staff are friendly. Rooms are nice and have all the essentials. The shower pressure is really poor though . We ate in the restaurant downstairs, the service left much to be desired. I had the homemade soup which was delicious but the risotto for the main was a bit bland. Service was slow throughout. Breakfast isn't the best either was all a bit greasy and stale. Overall it was an ok stay, not the worst but not the best either.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank LJAllan
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Went for a weekend break as a belated birthday treat.Chose this resort as we used our Tesco Boost tokens so it only cost £7 for the three night break. Very pleasantly surprised at the hotel, compared to a regular Best Western we had stayed in previously (although that too had helpful and friendly staff). The room was large and quite comfy, although I did get a bad back from the beds. The shower was VERY hot and powerful so full marks there too. Breakfast was fresh and lots of choice, we also ate in the restaurant for £29.99 for a two course dinner for both and the food was very good and we couldn't have fitted in a dessert. Never got round to using the pool but had a massage and eyebrow wax and tint and the girls were lovely. Would we stay again? most definitely!. Looking to plan another weekend break later in the year, despite the journey of 3.5 hours it was a lovely weekend.

Room Tip: We were right above reception at the front but never heard any noise from the traffic
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
James M, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Plus Stoke-On-Trent Moat House, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Dear Kim W,

Many thanks for taking the time to review our hotel after your rescent stay with us.

It's great to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us, and the team were all friendly and helpful.
I will share all your great feedback with the team.

We hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 17 March 2014

Stayed here in March for a 1 night Business trip. Upon arrival i was impressed with the size and layout of the Hotel which had some very nice features, however things quickly got worse. We were informed at the reception that we hadn't paid for the room yet of which we had sent the details across to the hotel the previous day however this had gone into the Hotels spam folder therefore they didn't receive which caused some disruption but i understand that these things happen. I was then issued with a key card which didn't work so i had to go back down to reception and get another key card.

I was very impressed with the size of the room and things were looking up untill we went for dinner. The consierge sat us down and then left. The waitress went around all the tables taking orders from people who arrived after ourselves. After about 20 minutes i had to walk to her and ask for her to take our order. Credit where its due the meal was very nice. I then sat in the bar area for a drink, a bar which seemed completely unmanned and meant a long wait for service, another customer of the hotel made a complaint to the manager during this time who said they only have one pair of hands and have to serve food aswell which during busy periods is not a very effective way to run a hotel in my opinion. Having read negative reviews about Best Western in the past i took it with a pinch of salt however sadly alot of the criticism proved a true relflection and i will avoid this chain in the future.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Dear SeanFairbridge,

Thank you for sharing your review after your stay with us.

I was disappointed to read that your stay was marred by a few errors which impacted on your stay. As you will see from our other reviews it's our staff that stand out so it was suprising to read that you felt that let us down.

As BEST WESTERN is a independent and individual hotel chain I hope this will not deture you from staying with any future BEST WESTREN hotels.

James Mahcin

Reviewed 10 March 2014

For £25 expected little than more.... But on arrival staff very helpful friendly and welcome... Robes towels and coffe provided why we sat comfy in the bar... Use of pool and sauna steam room and jacuzzi. Had two treatments inc in deal ... Full manicure best ever had and massage which was relaxing comfy and Vicky was excellent ... Recommend even if no voucher will use again and can say was excellent afternoon

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank claire r
James M, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Plus Stoke-On-Trent Moat House, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2014

Dear Claire r,

Many thanks for your Tripadvisor review.

It's great to hear that you had a relaxing time whilst using the hotel facilities and that Jasmine Olivia provided great treatments for you and I will share this with her team.

We hope that we can welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 10 March 2014

What a wonderful spa this hotel has with the friendliest staff ever. From the moment we arrived nothing was too much trouble, even catering for my coeliac mum with some gluton free cake. Treatments were wonderful, staff really pleasant, group on deal so amazing value for money, excellent :)

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Dear Annamarie B,

Many thanks for taking the time to share your review.

It's great to hear that had an enjoyable afternoon and the team were on hard to take care of you and your special dietary requirements.

I have shared all your feedback with the Jasmine Olivia Team.