My husband Dave and I have been here a couple of times before and really enjoy it. Most of the staff are so friendly and when you get a welcome like we did from receptionist Dawn, its great that they actually remember you considering the amount of people come through their door. On handing over my best western reward card, was immediately upgraded, it happened to be the room we have had the last two years we have been there. Excellent.
Two years ago when we were there first, we didn't bother with the restaurant in the evening as the menu was boring and overpriced. Last year a complete turn around, fantastic menu, great choice in that you could go back every evening and still find something exciting. The food that was presented was amazing. What a disappoint then to find that basically it has gone back to square one. My husband chose the Portobello mushrooms as a starter, one came one tiddly mushroom and at the cost of around £7 most expensive mushroom he's ever had. He went for the fish and chips which was lovely. I opted for the seabass which was £16.95. The flavours sounded nice. On arrival, I was disappointed, hardly any flavours came through and most of all one fillet, really? Nor was it pan fried. Obviously one of the frozen ones and had been in the oven. I was still hungry when I had finished this. The staff weren't exactly friendly, such a difference to last year where everyone was made a fuss of and you had a bit of banter with the staff. We decided to have a look at the sweet menu, still waiting for the waitress to come back. Now on the up of the restaurant, the lady that runs the breakfast is lovely, she runs a tight ship and it shows. She remembered us as well! Pity she doesn't have a look at the shoddiness in the evening. We ate in the restaurant again two nights later, we had the choice of the menu or a carvery. I asked how much it was £20, for a carvery. Seriously what do they think they are running. There is a carvery five minutes from the hotel at the price of £5.99 which couldn't be faulted and pleasant staff who bothered to ask if everything was ok. Considering the amount of local competition for food around the area, please please bring back the way it was. I still have a picture of my seabass last year. Two fillets on a bed of crushed potatoes with peppers, tomatoes, etc. Beautiful. Was defo compliments to the chef. Obviously not the same one. This is now a lazy menu, which is expensive and boring. Salad add chicken or salmon, pasta add chicken or salmon. Get inventive. Even the bar menu was expensive. £11 for an omelette. I don't think so.
The only other complaint was the pillows. Oh me for a four star hotel especially a deluxe room, the pillows were awful to the point of I had to use a cushion to try and get comfie.
All in all we had a good time, just maybe really disappointed that it wasn't as good as before. We will be back and hope to see improvements in the restaurant and the pillows!
The reason for being in Hanley was for my hubbie to go to a game at his beloved Port Vale. We had a fantastic day. They have their own catering on site. It was superb. Beautiful three course meal from start to finish, with fresh buns to go with the soup. Excellent service and pleasant staff. Maybe someone from the hotel kitchen should try it out and get an idea what good food actually is. Louise and Dave
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The BEST WESTERN Stoke-on-Trent Moat House Hotel offers comfort and convenience, just 5 miles off the M6 Motorway and within 10 minutes of Stoke's town centre. Ideally placed for a family break, the hotel is close to Alton towers, while Waterworld is within walking distance. Bowling and the cinema can be enjoyed nearby too! As for more relaxing, grown up places of interest, Trentham gardens and a scenic canal can be reached in a matter of minutes! Our onsite leisure club means you can relax without leaving the hotel. And did we mention that this hotel is proud holder of BEST WESTERN's 2010 'Hotel with personality' award? So you'll be sure to receive a warm welcome! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Superbreak UK, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, LateRooms, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Best Western Plus Stoke-On-Trent Moat House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Stoke-On-Trent Moat House Hotel Stoke-On-Trent
- Stoke-On-Trent Best Western
- Best Western Plus Stoke-On-Trent Moat House Staffordshire