“Good hotel for the business traveller”

Best Western Plus Stoke-On-Trent Moat House
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Stoke-on-Trent
Reviewed 5 June 2014

This hotel was fine, convenient for town. The breakfast was good and the rooms were roomy. There was free wifi for guests but we were not told this at check-in and I paid extra for it. The pool was too crowded so myself and the children only stayed about 15 minutes. I would recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Hotel was absolutely great, staff were mostly friendly and helpful. Did have one issue with only being able to access a carvery menu only. Veg was not cooked and manager was dismissive. But apart from that one blip, the hotel was brilliant. The amenities are fantastic. Definitely my wife and I will stay again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Fantastic hotel, ideally located for Alton Towers. The children were made to feel very welcome and were able to use the pool whenever we wanted to. The bunk beds went down well too. We had a lovely meal in the restaurant and breakfast was plentiful and delicious. All the staff were very helpful and polite, would definitely return.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
James M, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Plus Stoke-On-Trent Moat House, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Dear KNJ1971,

Many thanks for your 5* review after your stay with us.

It's great to hear that you and your family had a "fab stay" and that the kids enjoyed the bunk beds.

We hope that we can welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

Reviewed 31 May 2014

We stayed here again recently and were pleased to see that the very high standards are being maintained.
The staff are great and make you feel welcome, the food is really good and the rooms are a decent size and comfortable.
There is on site parking, an additional benefit is that the hotel is in a quiet area away from major roads.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rich98761

Dear Rich98761,

Many thanks for your review as a returning guest.

It's great when our guests tell us we are doing it right and still maintaining the high standard that our guests have come to expect from us.
I have shared your review with all the team.

We hope that we can welcome you bvack again soon!

Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here whilst attending training course. Hotel was lovely, room clean. Excellent choice at breakfast. Food in restaurant was tasty. Noted how close hotel us to Alton Towers and would definitely bring the family.

• Stayed: May 2014

Dear Sue2334,

Thank you for your review after your departure from the hotel.

I am pleased to read that overall you had a pleasent stay and that the hotel meet your expections. We are a great choice if your stay is businness or pleasure.

We hope that we can welcome you and your family back to the hotel for a trip to Alton Towers (16miles away) trip!

Reviewed 31 May 2014

I booked this hotel as we wanted somewhere not too far from Alton Towers. I phoned the day before we went to find out if i could change to DBB and was told they do a meal deal which is £29.99 for 2 people for 2 courses and includes a glass of wine each so I didn't bother. I got chatting to the receptionist (Tracey) and explained to her I had booked a massage for my partner so she kindly said she would arrange an early check in.
When we arrived at the hotel it looked lovely and there are some parking spaces at the front of the hotel and lots more around the back. The reception area is lovely and we were booked in very quickly and given a room on the first floor. There was no iron or ironing board in our room but a quick call to reception and one was at the door in 5 minutes. The room was really spacious with a single and double bed, table and 2 chairs and another chair at the dressing table. There were 6 drawers and a big wardrobe for your clothes and plenty of space for you luggage. A nice sized bathroom with toiletries and a kettle with tea and coffee making facilities.
After unpacking we went to the spa where there is a lovely steam room, sauna, jacuzzi, and pool. the pool is more of a leisure pool than swimming pool and from there you could also see the gym but I didn't go in there. When we came out of the pool my partner went for his massage and I booked one for 6pm.
There is a big leisure complex just over the road with Toys r us, morrisons, Frankie and Benny's, Macdonalds, New look, Toby Cavery and several other shops. There were no flannels in the rooms so we went over to Morrisons to get some.
I went down for my massage at 6pm and was asked if I could come back later as they had done a treatment that wasn't booked in and they were running over an hour late. I had a dinner reservation for then so said I couldn't so they asked if I could come back tomorrow but I was going to Alton Towers that day so that was no good either. I expressed how unhappy I was as when I'd booked the appointment an hour and a half earlier the time had been available then and that I found it extremely unprofessional that they had overbooked so I was offered a free massage for another day. I had the massage the following night which was really lovely after a strenuous day on rides so although a mistake was made there end they definitely compensated for it so please do not let my review put you off from booking their services. I didn't get the name of the lady who did my massage but she was really good and very friendly.
When we went down to dinner we decided on the 2 courses for £29.99 and a childrens meal for our DS. The restaurant is really big so I knew there would be no queue for breakfast in the mornings. They also had a 3 course carvery or another set menu which was 3 courses for £20. Childrens menu was £7.49.
I ordered the steak pie with mash potato and peas for main course which looked lovely. As I started eating the pie, although steam was coming off the pastry the meat inside was cold like it had just come out of the fridge. I sent it back and was offered another one or something else. We were eating with our relatives so I asked for whatever would be the quickest. They said that the chicken with bacon and cheese on top that my partner had would probably be so I ordered that. When my meal came out there was no bacon or cheese so I sent it back again. It finally came back out and when I cut into it the chicken was pink in places and you could actually see some blood in two different places. I called the manager who said that it just looked like a vein to him but I have never known chicken to be pink or have any blood in. I was so hungry I ate the potatoes and the manager said that he obviously wouldn't charge me for it and would deduct 25% off the bill of my family. I would like to say however that everyone elses food was fine although it could've been hotter so maybe I was just extremely unlucky. Again, please do not let this review put you off from eating there as everyone else enjoyed their meal and every chef has a bad day.
The breakfast in the morning was lovely and there was a vast choice of cereals, croissants, pastries, 2 different types of sausages, bacon, fried and scrambled eggs (poached on request), beans, mushrooms, black pudding, fruits, teas, coffee, hot chocolate, orange and apple juice. The breakfast was delicious and set you up well for the day. We didn't eat in the restaurant in the evening again, not because of the previous meal but as there were so many other restaurants around.
The hotel was quiet in the evening although you had to slam the doors for them to close properly which was a bit disturbing but overall it was a lovely stay. The beds were very firm and they only had foam pillows so take your own if you like feather.
Despite the couple of hiccups with the food and massage I would definitely stay here again and would highly recommend the hotel. If it wasn't for those 2 things I would've definitely given a 5 star rating. For what we paid for 3 nights it was more than reasonable and only took about 40 minutes to get to Alton Towers. You also have a cinema and bowling alley opposite which are great fun (we did these on the last day) but you also have Waterworld which we didn't have a chance to go to.

3  Thank Stephkane
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stoke-on-Trent
Quality Hotel & Leisure Stoke on Trent
Borough Arms Hotel
Borough Arms Hotel
#1 of 5 in Newcastle-under-Lyme
Travelodge Stoke on Trent Trentham

Been to Best Western Plus Stoke-On-Trent Moat House? Share your experiences!