“Pleasant Surprise!”

Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Stoke-on-Trent
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Pleasant Surprise!”
Reviewed 14 November 2011

We stayed here for a three night Blues music weekend & having read previous reviews were slightly worried! However, on arrival & throughout the time we were there we had a great time. The allocated room (107) was very large & overlooked the front of the building & railway station opposite & had thick, heavy curtains which kept the lights & some of the outside noise. The building is old & "creaky" which I think adds to its charm. We found the staff to be friendly & helpful. The food, whilst basic, was plentiful, cooked well & very tasty. Meals were on a two sitting basis, only because the hotel was full due to the music weekend which meant some people had to queue for the second sitting, which was a bit unfortunate. I did notice there weren't any wash hand gels on entering the restaurant, which could be something they could look into having, Like all hotels it was a bit on the warm side everywhere & we couldn't turn down our radiatior as the secondary glazing unit was in the way. Overall, we enjoyed our stay & would go back again.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front & overlooking the railway station may be on the noisy side
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank pjthemuppet

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
shirebrook
Reviewed 14 November 2011

Well having read the reviews on here we nearly cancelled our weekend away. I’m so glad we didn’t. The hotel is great. All the staff are very friendly and helpful. Checked in really quick even though they were really busy. We asked about paying for parking as some comments left stated that they paid £5.00 a day. We were informed that it’s free for all guests – just hand your parking ticket in when leaving and they will authorise the ticket for the barrier. Our room was clean and the bed comfortable, bedding changed every day, clean towels and a top up on tea and coffee. The food we could not fault Buffet Breakfast everything needed to set you up for the day, and plenty of it you can go back as many times as you wish. Evening meal was also buffet style. - Choices of three starters three main courses plus a vegetarian choice, three deserts to choose from. I’m sure that even the pickiest of eaters wouldn’t struggle to find something to eat. The hotel has real character and has a mixture of old and new decor, which for me works really well. I will defiantly stay again and would recommend to all my friends. After our stay I can honestly say to anyone who is thinking about staying please ignore all the negative posts on here. This is a big hotel and yes in places is in need of a refurbishment but I feel that some of the comments on here are not called for and VERY unfair. Thank-you to the staff for a most enjoyable stay!!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Rethink1171
Reviewed 12 November 2011

Keep well away dirty smell non- professional Staff.
Bed rubbish Floor was better
Clean - well the cleaners should be sack she did not clean the room and even the bed making was not there
Mould on the taps and smell coming out of the drains
After my colleague had changed rooms 2 had to go back a few days early they would not refund the next 2 nights the manager was not at all helpful
We have a major job next 3 months in stoke with around 30 guys during that period this hotel is on our black list

• Stayed October 2011
2 Thank Chorkey58

Travellers are raving about these Stoke-on-Trent hotels

Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 November 2011

I stayed in this hotel with my partner 2 nights ago and can honestly say it was one of the worst I've stayed in. We weren't expecting 5* luxury and were only staying for one night before going to Alton Towers.

My first complaint has to be the parking £7 a day to park in a very dodgey car park with broken glass and beer bottles everywhere and cars abandoned in the middle. Nowhere on the hotels website or anywhere else does it say you have to pay for the parking i wouldnt have been as annoyed otherwise.

Check in was fine we were quickly given our room key and told where to go. The ground floor of this hotel looks alright and what you'd expect from this sort of hotel BUT dont be fooled climb one flight of stairs and you'll soon see the damp stains on the wall and the wallpaper peeling off like many of the reviews warn of. We were in a room on the second floor overlooking the front of the hotel and train station this wasnt an issue as we expected it to be loud due to the town centre location.

Our room was large but stunk of damp and the mattress on the bed was disgusting. The menus were atleast a month out of date and were covered in old food stains. The bathroom was ok and my partner even braved the bath. But at around quarter to 11 at night as we were just about to go asleep we get a knock on the door, it was a member of staff complaining we were talking to loudly i wouldnt have minded if we had actually been talking but the noise he could hear was in fact the television of the people/person down the corridor from us which might i add went on for most of the night.

The next morning when my partner woke up he found his back and arms had been bitten numorous times so i dread to think what we were sharing our room with!!! We could not wait to leave this hotel after a shocking stay and would definitley not recommend it to anyone else.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Allie688
snoopStokeOnTrent, Manager at North Stafford Hotel, responded to this review, 8 November 2011
To write a review like this is totaly disgusting, Your allegations are completely false and unfounded.
If your boyfriend had indeed been bitten, I would have thought that you would have reported this to the Management.
I think the one thing that you may have been bitten by is the Trip Advisor bug.
wales
Reviewed 1 November 2011

I stayed here mid week with a colleague for work. Upon arrival I loved the grandure of the hotel but unfortunately the years have taken their toll and no love and money has been spent to retain the former glory.
My request upon booking is a 'quiet non smoking room'. After a long wait for checking due to one member of staff on the desk checking in and answering calls I headed upto the top floor where the stentch of smoke was intense. Opening the door to my room it was obviously a smokers room so I trotted back down and stood in the queue again! The staff member was polite and gave me a key to a 'very lovely room'. It was certainly grand and non smoking, but being over the entrance opposite the station it was not quiet and the bed was terribly uncomfortable.
We opted out of the buffet style evening meal to eat in the bar. From the limited menu I had a tasteless pasta and my colleague and over cooked fish.
Seemed popular with some coachtrip of pensioners so maybe not for a professional needing a decent meal, quiet night and a good sleep!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank WalesStar
Glasgow Scotland
Reviewed 19 October 2011

I booked into the North Stafford hotel on Monday 17th Oct 2011. It looked quite nice from outside but we booked just two days before we arrived. We arrived at 6pm and were informed that we were given two rooms on separate floors rm 302 and room 244. It wasn't ideal as I was there with my 3 children aged 17,14 and 7. Room 302 was freezing it had no heating both radiators were freezing and when i called reception to complain we were told that a portable heater would be sent up. This was completely unacceptable. Spoke to receptionist and told her we were leaving and we would not stay on a hotel where our children's room had no heating. We had no option and we left and booked alternative accomodation at the Premier Inn at Stoke/ Trentham gardens.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Naureen
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 October 2011

I know exactly where to start. The exterior of this hotel looks good in picture but thats about all it has going for it. It was grubby, smelly, tatty and that's before we even got to our room. Believe me it is beyond redemption. Everything about this hotel stank including the beds - we booked a twin room for the night and, while the bed linen appeared clean the bed and mattress was not blood (or spew spattered) mattress nearly made me through up - couldn't wait to get out of that hotel. DO NOT BOOK IT.

Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank KatGraWad
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stoke-on-Trent
Quality Hotel & Leisure Stoke on Trent
Travelodge Stoke on Trent Trentham
Borough Arms Hotel
Borough Arms Hotel
#2 of 5 in Newcastle-under-Lyme

Been to North Stafford Hotel? Share your experiences!