“Good Value For Money”

Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Stoke-on-Trent
Fife,Scotland
“Good Value For Money”
Reviewed 29 July 2012

My husband and I recently stayed for four nights at this hotel as part of a bus trip. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay in this "old" but pleasant hotel The person who left the VERY NEGATIVE COMMENTS was right about some things - it is slightly shabby in places but it is very old! If you want new, then go to a Holiday Inn and see how homely that is!!!! It is a homely Hotel and the staff were very willing to please. We were treated to great entertainment, especially the Bingo, led by - Alan - I think he was called. Thanks Alan, it was great (I don't usually like Bingo). Food ok and good value (our friends, who stayed at another hotel joined us for dinner), Bedroom was a bit warm as the weather was excellent but I would certainly go back.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank hazel_campbell

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
glasgow
Reviewed 28 July 2012 via mobile

Room was large enough with 2 double beds, sofa and ensuite bathroom.
Some of the reception staff were very friendly with the exception of one woman who was of no help whatsoever!
Food in hotel was ok for dinner with 3 different choices for starter, main and dessert. Breakfast had a great selection of food again buffet style!
Ensure that you park in front of the hotel which is only £3 per day.
Hotel needs some structural work with lots of cracks seen throughout the building and some cracks and leaks on the dining room!
Good location for Alton towers as across the road from train station

• Stayed July 2012
glasgow
Reviewed 23 July 2012

Stopped off for one night as family were going to Alton towers theme park the next day. OMG it was like stepping back in time. Opened in the 1840's i read somewhere. big old fashioned reception, piano in the lobby in need of some TLC and a polish. loud carpets that clash with the curtains. we stayed at the top on walking along to our room from the lift the floors were very uneven like rot perhaps i was afraid i might drop into the next floor bellow, the hallway was very tired looking yellowing gloss doors. Didn't smell very fresh either. The room had sloped ceilings as i expected wallpaper was starting to peel and the air was damp, there was mould on the window frame and there was mould starting to come through the wall paper. the beds were fine, this is the very first hotel i have been to were i decided i wasn't going to shower in it as the shower and hairdryer were from the fifties and i wasn't going to risk it. Breakfast finishes at 9.30am the usual choice of a fried breakfast or weetabix etc self service. Why it is a three star i don't know i'd say one pushing on two. Fine if you are a solo traveler or on business.

2 Thank lorih77

Travellers are raving about these Stoke-on-Trent hotels

Airdrie
Reviewed 22 July 2012

I dont understand the reasons behind the negative feedback for this hotel as myself and my two children stayed here last weekend and had a lovely room, great food and a really pleasant stay. The room we had was huge and clean, and the food was very good, especially dinner. The only negative aspect was having to pay £3 per day for the car park but aside from this i would stay here again!

Room Tip: Our room was on the 3rd floor and very spacious, a double bed, two single beds, a separate room with...
England
Reviewed 15 July 2012

We stopped here to see our Daughters graduation at staffs uni.
Rooms a bit tired decor wise,bed was comfy,breakfast was cheap and very good.
Opposite the Railway station so very handy.
I could only rate it a 2 to 3 star.
Parking is £3 per night.
Rooms about £70 which I think is slightly high for what you get.
All in all it was a bed for the night with a hearty cooked breakfast

Room Tip: some rooms are smoking rooms,ours was a non smoker but we could still get a whiff of old tobacco.
Thank Izatequilafan!
mk
Reviewed 15 July 2012

The whole hotel is in need of refurb rooms very tatty mould in shower bed was a joke we could feel springs in matress bed was very old had 2 large windows but openers sealed exept 1 that opened about 2 inches so room was hot and stuffy worse night sleep we have ever had Dinner was at 7 so we arrived just after 7 to be told a bit busy come back at 8 so we went to bar for a bar meal but were told not serving bar meals until 8 as large group booked in but when we got dinner its was very good and exellent value £9.95 buffet all food was good and so was breakfast but was same price as dinner

Room Tip: Pick another hotel until this one is updated
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 July 2012

I did the Alton Towers package with my boyfriend for our two year anniversary and thought this seemed like a good deal. It was cheap and in a good location to get to Alton Towers. However, it was just awful. The outside looked rather nice so I was pleased when I approached the place. I walked in and yes it was a little dated but for the money I had no problems. Once I got my key and made my way up the stairs things went downhill... I slowly made my way down the long winding (uneven) corridors and approached my room, I looked up at the door and there was a massive crack down it and the door wasn't even straight. The building really needed to be knocked down. I walked in and was welcomed to a strong smell of stale smoke and an ash tray... fantastic... I had been given a smoking room. The furniture was dated and the whole feeling of the room made me feel uneasy. My partner was travelling on a different train from work so I had to wait a whole hour until he arrived. We then changed rooms to another smoking room (because there were no non-smoking rooms left). The lady at reception was polite and told us that if we had any problems with the second room to let her know. The second room was a lot smaller and still poor but all I cared about was whether it smelt of smoke and it didn't so we decided to just keep it. Breakfast was average and there are no restaurants near the hotel to get dinner. Just a subway and some takeaways. I was shocked to then go on trip adviser and discover that many people had written negative reviews on this place, I'm usually so good at checking hotels beforehand but think I was so caught up in it being so cheap. Now I think back I wish I had paid the little extra and stayed in a better hotel. It wasn't worth it. Get a deal on Alton Towers tickets and find a hotel separately. Oh and if you're impressed with the bus service outside don't be. It comes at really weird times and if you miss the last bus which is 15 minutes after the park closes you have to pay at least £25 for a cab. Such a disappointing weekend. Luckily Alton Towers was good or it could have ruined my anniversary.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Emily M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stoke-on-Trent
Quality Hotel & Leisure Stoke on Trent
Premier Inn Stoke-On-Trent (Hanley) Hotel
Best Western Plus Stoke on Trent Moat House
Holiday Inn Express Stoke-on-Trent
Premier Inn Stoke/Trentham Gardens Hotel
Borough Arms Hotel
Borough Arms Hotel
#2 of 5 in Newcastle-under-Lyme

Been to North Stafford Hotel? Share your experiences!