“Avoid,avoid!!”

North Stafford Hotel
Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Stoke-on-Trent
Reviewed 27 August 2012

The worst place I have ever stayed in.We booked a 2 day coach holiday with Diamond Holidays and the brochure said 3 Star Hotel but did not name the hotel.When our travel documents came and named it as The North Satfford Hotel I immedialtely looked it up on Trip Advisor...oh nooooo!! We had paid upfront so just had to go with it and hope it had cleaned up its act following bad reviews...wishful thinking.
We stayed in room 222.The bathroom sink had not been cleaned ,the bath panel was badly water damaged and the window was filthy with a loose hinge.Good thing I took cleaning wipes as a precaution.
Thankfully the beds had clean sheets .The furniture was damaged ,scratched and stained,we couldnt sit in the chair it was so dirty.
The carpet had a stain that looked old but not cleaned up .We asked others what there rooms were like and they too had the same so we saw no point in asking for a change.Oh and the remote control for the old TV had no back so you had to push the batteries in when using it for the 5 channels available.
We also had no phone in the room and no fire evacuation instructions.
Worse was to come!
Evening meal: we were met with miserable and unfriendly staff who just pointed or grunted when you asked anything.
First course was soup,egg in mayo or chicken strips and very pink salami strips in mayo.We opted for soup and it was okay.However we sat in a group of four and the waiting staff watched and walked up and down the room and whisked your plate away as soon as you finished regardless of the others at your table.There were few people in at this time.
Main meal:Battered cod which looked and apparently tasted like value frozen fish,oven chips ,steak in sauce which was cooked on the outside but raw in the middle and very tough to eat ( I left it) there were other choices which looked equally bad.
Standard frozen cakes for dessert.The waiting staff offered no drinks before,during or after..you are pretty much on your own here.
Time for bed....2 wedding parties were taking place in the hotel and when we could not get to sleep at 10.30pm I asked a member of staff who was loudly talking on his walkie talkie outside our room what time the disco ended as it was very loud .The reply was 12.30 and I should have noticed the sign in reception that said that there were 2 weddings in.We had prebooked with a tour so what difference would this make.The fire doors at the end of our floor were open and the noise was travelling up the staircase beyond this.I asked him to close them and he replied that as they were fire doors he could not.He did say he would ask them to turn the music down and close the main doors of the function room.
This made no difference so we endured bad wedding disco music and a loud DJ until it ended.
This was accompanied by guests shouting outside so we had to close the window of a stuffy hot room.Once the music ended the bad plumbing rumbled all through the night.The floor boards all creak loudly when walked on ,so any movement in your room or by others outside was annoying and added to the worst nights sleep I have had.
Next day a trip down in a sticky floored and littered lift to breakfast.
Breakfast was okay ,cheap bread and DIY toast was not so good and the most chaotic self service ever ,no one knew where or which way to queue so it was congested to say the least.Staff just stood around again waiting to whisk away your plate and did litle else.
We were pleased to check out and will never return .Please avoid as all reviews suggesting improvements have been ignored.Oh and the lift broke just before we left!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank MWGhead

Reviewed 24 August 2012

I per booked this trip for 2 days at Alton towers and 1 night stay with breakfast for me and my daughter and 2 of her friends,good price of 199 pounds.all sounds good because tickets were also included but if your looking for helpful friendly staff,good food and nice decor you're at the wrong hotel. the room I had was 233 a family room with a double bed and 2 singles,quite big in size but very unclean and old fashioned even the tv was old with only about 5 channels and the remote didn't work.the bathroom was dirty the shower was more like a drip,tea and coffe facilities were ok.breakfast in the morning was buffet style not very tasty and I think the food was all frozen and heated in a microwave.the glasses were filthy and all the fresh juice was warm.also I was tod I would pick my tickets for altontowers upat the hotel but when I got there I was handed a confirmation letter which I then had to queue up for when I got there very disappointed about this as the queue was long,if you are planning on going to Alton towers book direct on their site and even if you pay a bit more it will be worth it I know I would never step foot in this hotel again, oh and not forgetting you have to pay 3 pounds per night parking what a cheek ,but the barrier was never down when I was there so don't pay and I think the miserable receptionist is called Rebecca she hasn't been taught how to smile.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank michelle j
Reviewed 20 August 2012

What can i say had a 2 night stay. Was on the top floor room 300 booked a double but was given a twin. The room was so small and dirty. Cobwebs on the walls dust and worst of all i got bit to the nines. This hotel should be pulled down. The staff are really rude. We prebooked dinner and paid in advance for this, when we arrived at the dinning hall we gave our room number only to be told Computer says no!. After 20 mins of trying to sort this out we went in to the dinning hall and the food was not fit for humans

Room Tip: try the hotel in stone
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Anthony W
Reviewed 16 August 2012

I stayed in this hotel for a short break earlier in the year. My first impression was what a nice hotel we had booked. The location was good for what we wanted as we needed to be near the leisure centre and it was very good for that. I booked a triple room and again the room was clean and tidy . We ate in the hotel the first evening and the food was fine. Breakfast was fine next day but unfortunately Saturday night was the big problem. The hotel does have a banqueting/entertainment hall and the hotel was absolutely full due to a booked event. Again not a problem nice to see guests enjoying themselves. The downside was that the music went on to the early hours of the morning and could be heard even though we were on the 2nd floor. However the room above us was occupied by people who had been at the event in the hall they came back to their room at 2 in the morning and proceeded to fall off the bed in the room above us several times and continual walk around the room which had creaking floorboards this resulted in us calling the security people. They had had other compalints from guests and had been to the room several times. The night security were very good and basically the occupiers of the room were told to shut up or get out!. All went quiet. Unfortunately it wasnt my weekend. The next night at 2 in the morning I was woken by a terrible continual drip from the bathroom it turned out a pipe had broken in the room above us and the bathroom was flooded in 2inches of water. Again the security people were called and they were brilliant they came up with towels straight away and offered to move us to another room. The downside was that i left messages for the manager to contact me about the problems the next day and but unfortunately was not approached or contacted by anyone from the hotel or hotel group. All the staff in the hotel were extremely helpful and friendly but unfortunately I would not stay at this hotel again as I couldnt believe no one spoke to us about the problems we had had.

Room Tip: not sure what rooms would suit as I had a bad experience in the room we had
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank KawasakiKay
Reviewed 15 August 2012

Family room 208 was really worth the money. Jacuzzi was included and a bathroom was really big. Ok Breakfast - big selection, but not a lot of quality. Lady on reception was really rude. Overall, the stay was ok, but for the money, it was great value.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 7 August 2012

We recently stayed at this hotel on a trip to Alton towers. Great, large family room with huge bathroom with desperate shower and jacuzzi bath. Great value for money, cheap drinks in bar. All staff friendly, apart from one lady on reception, not very happy, friendly or welcoming. Didn't, have a name badge, so cannot name her!!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Jen D
Reviewed 29 July 2012

My husband and I recently stayed for four nights at this hotel as part of a bus trip. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay in this "old" but pleasant hotel The person who left the VERY NEGATIVE COMMENTS was right about some things - it is slightly shabby in places but it is very old! If you want new, then go to a Holiday Inn and see how homely that is!!!! It is a homely Hotel and the staff were very willing to please. We were treated to great entertainment, especially the Bingo, led by - Alan - I think he was called. Thanks Alan, it was great (I don't usually like Bingo). Food ok and good value (our friends, who stayed at another hotel joined us for dinner), Bedroom was a bit warm as the weather was excellent but I would certainly go back.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank hazel_campbell
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stoke-on-Trent
Quality Hotel & Leisure Stoke on Trent
Borough Arms Hotel
Borough Arms Hotel
#1 of 5 in Newcastle-under-Lyme
Travelodge Stoke on Trent Trentham

Been to North Stafford Hotel? Share your experiences!