“Only if you can get it cheap!”

North Stafford Hotel
Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Stoke-on-Trent
Devon
“Only if you can get it cheap!”
Reviewed 2 October 2013

We got a very good last minute deal from late rooms for this hotel but when I was looking the other day it was over one hundred pounds a night. I would not pay that in a million years!. Hotel is quite impressive from the outside but could do with a few million being spent on it. Shame really as you can tell that it would have been beautiful in its hay day. the same night we stayed there were 2 wedding's and the music was really loud. Tv didn't work but a very nice man sorted us out and we moved rooms. Comfy bed and nice pillows. Breakfast was not good. The sausages were awful.

• Stayed September 2013
Gmanager721, General Manager at North Stafford Hotel, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
Thank you for your recent review on the North Stafford Hotel.

I apologise for any inconvenience caused due to the problems with the TV in your room. Our TV's are scheduled for replacement over the next few months. I will also speak to the Chef regarding breakfast items.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
eastbourne
Reviewed 29 September 2013

We couldn't have been more disappointed. Nicotine coloured corridors with damp stains and peeling wallpaper and then to our room. It smelt like an old ashtray, the curtains didn't fit, the bathroom which was once luxurious was old, tired and marked. Old TV with dreadful picture, dull walls and very dated and worn out furniture. The bed smelt of cigarette smoke and in the morning, so did we - repulsive. Couldn't wait to check out. Britannia should feel ashamed, asking anyone to pay to stay there. After our evening out, arrived back at the hotel to be told that we couldn't buy a cup of tea as they had no facility for this, just bar drinks - really?

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jmillsEastbourne

Travellers are raving about these Stoke-on-Trent hotels

Glasgow
Reviewed 25 September 2013

Booked to stay at the North Stafford as part of a package along with a trip to Alton Towers. Needless to say the whole stay was disappointing and I won’t be back. As soon as we got out the lift at our floor, I knew what we were in for. The corridors have the feel of a hostel, with creaking floorboards and a distinctive musty smell. Our room door had a replacement MDF/cardboard panel where the original one should have been. The inside of the door wasn’t much better, with a large dent in it. We had wallpaper peeling off the walls, stains on the armchairs and a TV set straight from the 1970’s. There wasn’t even an aerial for us to try and get a decent picture, so most of the time we didn’t bother. Our bathroom didn’t even had a sink – it was on the bedroom side of the room. Our first night sleep was interrupted by a series of high pitched alarms, which I found out by calling reception that there were power surges causing these alarms to go off and there was nothing that could be done. Our second night sleep was interrupted by the real fire alarm, apparently being maliciously set off by someone in the hotel. Again, we were told to ignore them. Violation of health and safety policy anyone? The North Stafford Hotel is in an ideal location for people visiting Stoke/Alton Towers and travelling by train and by bus to the park. But from what I saw, that’s about all it has going for it.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Babyinacorner
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Very disappointed in the quality of the rooms and the decor throughout, but then i guess you get what you pay for, so at just under 50 pound a night, which included a good breakfast its not bad value and its location opposite the station is great, so i guess it depends what your after.

Room Tip: If they refurbish, then one of those.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 September 2013

The owners of this "hotel" should be locked up in a padded room !! It is sad to see that Britania " hotels can have the nerve to even marlet this place. how very very sad. The food was disgracefull, Both breaakfast and dinner. I just cant bring myself to write anything good about this place. !! even when leaving I was told I had to pay for the car park !!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank bob b
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Not bad at all, and a bargain at £35 (the reduced price on the internet).
The station is directly opposite the hotel with various beggars and druggie guys in hoodies hanging around - but a police car arrives and I feel marginally safer. Parking spaces at the front, right by all this 'nightlife', are all taken, but there is a car park around the back. Dark and scruffy, is my car going to be safe, who knows? (In the end, this time, it was). It says £7 for the night but at reception they tell me it's only £3. Confusing, but good news, though free would have been better. Staff friendly.
At my room door there are signs of a previous break-in (see photo), not encouraging, but inside the room is very clean, not even a hint of cigarette smoke, the bathroom is spotless, and the bed is OK. No wifi that I can find though.
Would I stay again? Maybe. More of a question is whether I would visit Stoke again!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
London
Reviewed 18 September 2013

After reading the reviews on this hotel, I dont expect too much but I was surprise because the twin bedroom is spacious and the bath tub is larger than standard. The place is strategic as it is literally in front of the railway station. The only bad thing I can say is the breakfast quality can be improved and since they have a wedding event during one of the day I stayed, it can be a bit noisy. Overall, I am impressed.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Also consider these accommodations in or near Stoke-on-Trent
Quality Hotel & Leisure Stoke on Trent
Travelodge Stoke on Trent Trentham
Borough Arms Hotel
Borough Arms Hotel
#2 of 5 in Newcastle-under-Lyme

Been to North Stafford Hotel? Share your experiences!