“Only eat did not stay here.”

North Stafford Hotel
Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Stoke-on-Trent
Reviewed 21 February 2014

I visted in January 2014. It was the worst eating experiance after we got a free meal there. It was terrible! The was no choice on the menu just 2 choices (Not exact). Then the fire alarm went off when we were eating. I would not recomend this to anyone. I am not sure what the rooms are like because we only eat there but the food should not be offerd to anyone who is not staying at the hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,069)

Reviewed 20 February 2014

We stayed for one night at this hotel. Only paid £38 which included £3 car parking charges. First impression - if you like to get "High" on bleach this is the place to go. This is a very old hotel so very dated. Room very compact and I must say the bathroom could have done with a good scrub. The grouting between the tiles was filthy and very tight squeeze to get in and out the bathroom. No I am not that big, it's just the space between the door and the sink is about 1 inch in old money. Breakfast was an experience, only one elderly woman looking after everybody but she made a good job of it running about like a headless chicken. I will not be staying here again.

Room Tip: Check other hotels in the area first and compare.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 February 2014

We arrived at 11am on Saturday and as we had paid extra for early check in we could have our room at 12. There is a coffee lounge so we thought we would wait there, no, it only opens Monday to Friday. Is there a bar? yes down the corridor, we walked down to find it closed although the sign on the door said it opened at 11. Back to reception and the receptionist went off to find the barman, he was fetching ice apparently.
Got our key at 12 and went to the room, very shabby and in dire need of renovation, wardrobe door hits the shade on the bedside lamp, bathroom tile grout full of black mould, very weak pressure on shower, hot water came through eventually. Drinks tray with tea and coffee but no biscuits, mould on the net curtains. The only reason we didn't walk out was because we were staying there for a wedding reception in the afternoon and evening so only the one night to put up with it.
Breakfast was poor, nobody there to tell us where to sit, had trouble finding a table which hadn't been sat at, mostly uncleared tables. No bacon, no butter or marmalade for toast, jam in dishes so you had to spoon it onto your plate, nobody to ask as no staff about. Won't be staying again that;s for sure.

Room Tip: Not here at all
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Webbo2014
Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

This hotel was ideally located for my visit to my son at the university just around the corner so having found a superb deal of £52 per night for diner, single room and breakfast I thought it worth a punt. Service on arrival was poor. I was told to wait half hour before I could be checked in at 2, with no indication of where to wait, so I went over the road to the train station cafe. If I could have been shown into the lounge and maybe offered a tea/coffee then maybe we could have got off to a better start. On booking in at 2 I was told where my room was and left to get on with it. Found a room from the 1950s with broken bedstead, ripped curtains, old yellow hair dryer that I daren't use and a tv like one I threw out 10 years ago. "Just as well I'm here to visit my son and not on a holiday" I thought. On the plus side the bathroom was a newer white suite and clean with a nice shower over the bath. A couple of toiletries were also nice. However diner that eve was not worth the deal. It was a shame because the restaurant itself was lovely and on the second morning the girl running it was very pleasant and helpful. The buffet food could have been rather nice as it was very tasty but unfortunately it was stone cold!! The starter and desert were great, but the hot meal of pork or lamb fillet with veg or plaice and chips wasn't anywhere near warm enough. As my son and I were committed to eating there at that point we had no option but to make the best of it but I didn't eat there the following night (nor did I get a refund for the meal I had paid for in advance). Also the deserts on the following eve were leftovers from the night before. Nice the first time around but I wouldn't have been impressed if I had come for the second eve meal! Breakfast the following morning was fractionally better but that was because I was there the moment the cooked breakfast was brought out. It got cold v quickly! A shame really as £9.90 was I feel expensive for my son to join me when it wasn't worth going back for seconds, the good being too cold to be appetising at that point. The toaster didn't work properly, the toast coming out either underdone or burnt if u put it through 2x. This could have been such a marvellous place to stay as right opposite the station and university, but until management see its potential and raise the standard of the rooms and restaurant, more folk like me will be looking elsewhere for our regular visits to Stoke.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Cdgrace
Reviewed 14 February 2014

I booked this hotel for one night only. This was not the cheapest and I paid £ 48 for a single room. On arrival , there was a queue for check in. Eventually, I was given my room key. Shock horror. The room was horrid. It was small, tatty, dated and felt very very spooky. I went to speak to the receptionist and asked if there was a different room available. He gave me another key to a room on the 3rd floor. This room was worse. Although bigger. On entry, I felt like I was in a museum. It had a horrible spooky feeling about it, so immediately left. The ceiling light seemed to have a starter motor fault and was continually flashing. I reported this to reception. Having had no choice but to stay in the first allocated room. I turned off the lights and went to sleep. The furniture was really dated. The wardrobe was built in to the wall. On opening the wardrobe, it was damp with plaster falling off the walls. I could not put my overnight clothes in there. The shower was ok but a little small, even for me at 9stone something. The linen was clean. The walls in the room were painting nice. The curtains were not put up properly and were gaping in places. The tv was very old with blurred screen. Whilst lying in bed. A man was banging on a door nearby. He continued to shout at a woman. I think he was drunk ? Whoever let this person in to the hotel, I don't know. After giving the lady verbal abuse, he left, swearing and shouting. Will I stay there again ? No chance. Couldn't wait to leave. Goodness knows what visitors to our city feel. Opposite a train station should be a well presented hotel. Not a hell hole.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank jacquelinebrierwood
Reviewed 12 February 2014

We recently went to this hotel for a family 70th Birthday celebration. On the arrival the hotel was warm & staff were very friendly. We made our way to the function room which was a perfect size & setup for the occasion. We had a finger buffet which had a good choice & was very nice. We had a very enjoyable afternoon/evening so "thank you" to everyone involved.
I would like to add that I have been to several functions at this hotel now and I have never yet been disappointed.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 February 2014

If you're travelling by train, this hotel is ideal as it is right opposite the main railway station. We booked online and received a good discount.

The hotel is an historic building and is well maintained. It is like a museum with many interesting displays. The welcome/information at reception on arrival was excellent and the room was fine and clean.

Our package included dinner, bed and breakfast for the whole family. The dinner buffet was adequate but as we ate straight after a large tour group, it felt like we were eating leftovers. I asked about ordering drinks, but the only waiter on duty said he was to busy and that I needed to go myself to the bar - at the other end of the hotel.

The same happened at breakfast, which was one of the worst hotel breakfasts I have had. The woman commented on how busy it had been with the tour group, she seemed very stressed and unfriendly and the food that was left was dry and unappetizing.

While the hotel has many good points, the service of the restaurant staff (or lack there of) lowers the overall experience and score. Without the large group (which completely filled the main liunge with free Wi-Fi access for most of the evening), it may have been a better overall experience. That may also have been the case had more staff been rostered on.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family