“In need of total refurbishment”

North Stafford Hotel
Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Stoke-on-Trent
Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

Very run down hotel having stayed in other Britannia Hotels, we expected the North Stafford to be of the same standard. But it is sadly lacking in all areas.The room we were given was awful , window frames were wooden and full of dry rot and mould. Badly stained ceiling , old fashioned furniture and bathroom needed to be totally replaced enough said .

• Stayed: May 2014
3  Thank Terry M
Write a ReviewReviews (1,068)

Reviewed 8 May 2014

Totally disappointed in this hotel.the staff in the restaurant and the food is shocking. £9.95 for a child's meal which consisted of 2 slice cucumber,2 tomato and lettuce."pay for what you get didn't expect that.rooms could do with a paint and repair, don't believe the photos not a true reflection at all.

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank catbox31
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Stayed one night in April 2014 before a trip to Alton Towers and found the hotel to be very good value for the little price we paid

The room and en suite were both spacious and the decor was to a good standard. The en suite looked modern and shower was powerful. Hotel is in a good location for Alton Towers - not the nearest but was easy to find from the hotel.

The hotel has its own car park but it costs £3 a day, didn't mind paying this as the room was so cheap. The only bad point was that we could hear every word people were saying out in the corridors so am guessing the walls are quite thin, but this wasn't an issue past about midnight.

Overall, we were pleasantly surprised with this hotel, having not expected much from the price we paid.

2  Thank anon0403
Reviewed 24 April 2014

I booked this hotel as I needed to stay overnight in the area, given that I paid £59 for dinner, bed and breakfast I was not expecting much. I did however get a lovely room with a sitting area and a roll top bath. (See the pictures below). I did not actually have the dinner, as I opted to eat out locally, but the breakfast buffet was very good. I was able to park my car free outside, so I was very pleased with my stay. Although there are comments from other reviewers that the place was dirty, my room was very clean and the rest of the hotel seemed in good order. If I had to go to Stoke again, I would definitely stay there.

3  Thank TRC2
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Looks quite impressive from the outside but old and tired inside. No heating working in the room, even after asking reception to turn it on and being assured it would be fixed in '10 minutes'. Never came on all night so a cold night in the room. There was so much dust on the shelf in the wardrobe I could write my name in it and the floor of the bathroom was dirty.
At breakfast we couldn't find a clean table to sit at so asked the guy taking our names if he could please clean a table for us. He explained that he was very busy as he had been left on his own to deal with 100 guests sitting down to breakfast. The food was fine but sadly luke warm and the toaster didn't work. And to top it all off i was charged to use their car park!!
Would not recommend this shabby hotel to anyone....

Room Tip: Don't book here!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank shar28go
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Having already made a reservation for the 12th April 14, myself and my partner made a last minute decision to book an extra night on the Friday 11th April 14 we made a last minute reservation and left Leeds at 22:30. On arrival the reception staff or shall I say jobs worth took ages to find our booking, once this had been found we were given a key (I though these were obsolete, but clear this hotel lives in the dark ages.) We arrived in our room and through we had tele-ported to Antarctic, as the room was freezing all we needed was a Parker and a dog and we would have become Eskimos. We donged extra blankets and sat to watch the TV. However we turned the tv on and pressed every button on the remote to find the fuzzy screen was not last night corrie... Every channel we changed to was the same. However, however we were too tired so decided to wrap up warm and sleep. The hotels lack of heating gave us a uncomfortable night even London's Ice hotel would have been warmer than this one. The next day (Sat 12th April) we got up and showered (I say showered, I think that I would pee quicker than the shower). We dressed as quickly as we could and checked out as our later booking was under a different res number and the room was not ready. On check out, we told the lady on reception and told her about the issues as above. She lathed and stated that she would leave heaters in our next room, we then left the hotel.

After an amazing day at Alton Towers, we arrived back at the said hotel and check in. We were given a different room (and an another KEY) we differed taking our bags to the room because we wanted to see if the room habitable. Once we were satisfied ( well as satisfied as we could be) we then proceed to the car for our bags. On arrival back into the double room we noticed their was only one of everything such as towels, pillows and cups etc... I phoned down to reception to request extra pillows and towels. I was then told that theses items would arrive straight away. 3.5 hours later these items had not arrived, I then made another call to which i was told the samething, with out being to syndical I wasn't confident this would happen. 1 hour later we still hadn't received our requested items, another call was made and i was told that the manager had knocked on the door (our bed was on the same side of the wall as the door) and we heard nothing and he had left the items outside the door.

This seems to be Britannia hotel regular service issue as the last hotel that we stayed in (Manchester) did not deliver our room service when requested.

My faith in ALL Britannia Hotels is somewhat effected by the last of service.

Room Tip: Do not stay here
1  Thank ScottColeUK
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Impressive looking frontage, but very tired inside. Location is excellent, literally opposite train station so very convenient. Less convenient was the fact that the car park wasn't clear and I ended up parking three quarters of a mile away and walking. On arriving at reception I found that there was a car park after all. Checked in fairly quickly, but amidst an argument between the receptionist and another guest over a booking error. The receptionist was quite abrupt and rather rude to the ladies concerned. Anyway, once in my room it did the job, but I wouldn't want to stay for longer than a night.

One of the floor boards felt like it was disapperaing through the floor and was very creaky. I dare say the occupants of the room below were non too happy. Aside from this, the room was comfortable but the bathroom wasn't clean and need refurbishment. Traces of blood on the toilet seat were not a good start, and the tiling round the bath was ramshackle to say the least.

However, there was plenty of hot water (not always available in hotels if you run a bath) and the rest of the room was clean. The view from my room (237) was rather grim, but the view was not my reason for staying.

Had to wait in the restaurant for several minutes before a member of staff appeared and found the food to be average and nothing more.

In its favour, the room was cheap and at the enmd of the day you get what you pay for.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business