“THE WORST EVER”

Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Stoke-on-Trent
Hayle, United Kingdom
“THE WORST EVER”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

My partner and I booked this hotel on line only to find it was worse than Fawlty Towers. The pictures are so glossed up and do not portray what it is actually like.

We travelled from Cornwall to this Hotel and after a long 7 hour journey were more than ready to relax. More wrong we could not have been. Firstly no greeting just a smile and "are you here to book in". The first room was on the 1st floor although we were not told this and we were not shown where the room was, probably because they were ashamed to show it to us as it was that bad.

We called for the Manager who had the keys to another room which he showed us and this just went down hill from there. A Jacuzzi bath about 20 years old that had been disconnected and the shower screen with a broken seal , when you took a shower it flooded the bathroom floor.
Inside of the wardrobe was a hole punched through the back of it to reach an electrical socket( don't worry Britannia I have all the photographs). A bed that squeaked and a floor which did the same . A tv which came out of the ark and you could only get 10 channels.
The breakfast next day was cold coffee, rubber eggs, gravy and tea stains on the restaurant wall, tables not cleared for about 15 to 20 minutes.

Furniture so threadbare that the stuffing was sticking out of the sides

We asked to see the duty manager to complain and ask for a refund who firstly told us that he did not have the authority to sanction refunds, so why have duty managers if they have no authority.

All in all the worst Hotel experience of my life. Oh yes and they charge for overnight parking although their brochure states FREE PARKING

Brittania you need to get it right as this building is one if the Grandest in Stoke and you have let it fall in to so much disrepair

I work in the trade as a Guest Relations Manager in a 4 Star Hotel I would not rate this hotel as even a 2 star and thats being charitable

Room Tip: Don't go to the North Safford Hotel
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Peter M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

I recently stayed here with my boyfriend for two nights as we were taking a trip to Alton Towers. The hotel is very handy if thats where your going to as it is only half an hour journey to the park.
The hotel itself its very old fashioned looking. So if you like ultra modern this isnt the hotel for you. Inside the room we had an en suite bathroom with a huge bath. I found the bathroom a good size and clean. The shower was nice and powerful unlike some other hotels.
We also had a really old fashioned dressing table and wardrobe that i personally like. The tv was very dated but it worked fine. There was also a tray with kettle and tea and coffee. Also there was extra pillows in the wardrobe which was good as i like two pillows to sleep on. The double bed was a good size and the sheets were clean. It was a bit hard but im used to sleeping on a bed with a memory foam topper to be fair. When we came home from the park that evening the maid had been in and gave us fresh towels.
The view from the room was pretty rubbish because we didnt have one. It looked onto a roof and into another guests room. Which really wasnt a problem for us as we were out all day or sleeping with the curtains closed.
There is a hotel carpark at the back of the hotel that you get a ticket from the machine and you pay at the end of your stay which for us was only £6. Overall i would say it was worth what we paid which was £100 for two nights. Its a good hotel for a couple nights stay for things like alton towers or day trips.
Its also right next to the stoke on trent station which is handy for people travelling by train. Yes the hotel is a bit dated but i found my stay comfortable and
clean. If your looking for 5 star
luxury then book a 5 star hotel

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank LittleGeekyLove
South Elmsall, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 3 nights on business, hotel is drab, dirty, old and AWFUL!... NO wifi in the rooms, 3.00 per day to park your car, TVs in the room are 20 year old (no freeview)...food is limited and tasteless...

As for the staff, rude, unhelpful and arrogant. Formal complaint put into management after one member of staff to me to F off....

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Debbie M

Travellers are raving about these Stoke-on-Trent hotels

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Stayed here for two nights it is a lovely building architecture wise but totally run down, the whole place is grubby, dirty and the service is really poor. The room was nothing like the pictures on their website and we were not happy we decided to go and ask for a table in the restaurant thinking the write up on the food I quote excellent cuisine we were told by the guy on reception no need to make a reservation so we asked to look at the menu and was told chef had not decided on the food yet for this evening so we went into the bar area for a pre dinner drink the furniture was ripped and tatty, the floor was dirty and the bar area sticky. We thought we will never stay here again and proceeded to the restaurant where we found a buffet or a free for all it was awlful the food looked discussing so we went back to reception to ask if they knew of any decent restaurants in the area with table service. We are not fussy with food we said we like chinese, Japanese, french, Italian etc The guy on reception had gone and the young girl said yes I know a good restaurant called subway and I could order you a takeaway What we said oh forget it. We ordered a cab and eventually ended up in Hanley which I must say is also a dump at the one and only restaurant open called Portafino Italian which I must say food was good. We had breakfast the next day again buffet, cold no waiter service and we could not wait to go home. I am now at home after eating their buffet breakfast yesterday with a stomach bug what a surprise

• Stayed July 2014
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I've just come back from a 3 night stay with my other half at the North Stafford Hotel and was very pleasantly surprised considering some of the awful reviews on here! The hotel is as convenient for the station as you can get - it is literally right across the road, so no need for faffing about with a taxi. We went for a standard double room rather than paying more for an "Executive" room, and ours was on the second floor towards the back of the building. OK, the view from our room wasn't exactly picturesque, but we didn't go there to sit looking out of the window all day! On the first two nights there were wedding parties in the hotel, but we didn't hear a thing and were able to get to sleep without any disturbances whatsoever. The room was spacious, furnished with a comfortable double bed, wardrobe, armchair, desk/dressing table, bedside tables, TV with (I think) Freeview channels, telephone, kettle with tea/coffee, and a large bathroom with bath and powerful shower. The bed linen and towels were spotlessly clean (as was the room). There was plenty of hot water available all day, and everything was cleaned and towels etc. replaced daily. Check-in was hassle-free and the staff were polite and helpful. You get a key here rather than a card, and you need to hand it in if you're going out of the hotel for the day etc., but we were quite happy with that as it means you don't need to worry about losing it! We didn't eat at the hotel as we prefer to eat out locally for our meals (Stoke Cafe for some hot oatcakes are a real treat!) so can't review that, but what I saw of the restaurant looked pleasant and clean.

I've seen lots of very negative reviews on here and other sites, and obviously I can't vouch for the people who wrote them, but my experience was very different. I'm surprised at some of the comments about dirty bed linen or towels - certainly not my experience at all. My personal view is that if you are the sort of person who wants brand spanking new everything and is able to find fault with just about anything then this perhaps isn't your ideal choice, but if you like pleasant, clean and comfortable rooms for a very reasonable price (not to mention the convenience of location) then give it a go and make your own mind up!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank V K
Reviewed 30 June 2014

My husband and I were attending the Rod Stewart concert on Saturday 14 June and stayed at this hole because we were desperate. It is absolutely disgusting and can't believe they are still open and charging people to stay there. Receptionist had a face like she was on death row. The room was honestly one of the worst ive ever stayed in. The only thing it had going for it was the sheets and towels were clean. Bar staff were rude. This place should be shut down and a complete refurb carried out immediately.

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank SmithyElaine
South Shields, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2014

My husband and I have just returned from a 4 day trip and spent three days/nights in the North Stafford Hotel!

We were very pleasantly surprised at our room as reviews we had read were awful!
Our room was large and airy....the beds were comfortable and the bedding and towels were clean and white!!
The bath room was large too and the hot water was always on tap!

The room looked as though it had been recently emulsioned, as it was very clean.

The restaurant was also clean and comfortable.
Meals were good....full English breakfast with all the trimmings and a good selection of choice for the evening meal which was buffet style.
We take our hats off to the young gentleman who was on duty, alone, for the evening meal time, as he welcomed us, cleared plates, tidied tables etc and made sure all the food was kept stocked up. his name is Adrian and he was so pleasant, although he didn't have much time to chat.
I can not understand people who expect 5 star hotel facilities when they pay as low a price as they can and then complain!

Well done staff at the North Stafford! We enjoyed our stay with you!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank margiem985
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stoke-on-Trent
Quality Hotel & Leisure Stoke on Trent
Travelodge Stoke on Trent Trentham
Borough Arms Hotel
Borough Arms Hotel
#2 of 5 in Newcastle-under-Lyme

Been to North Stafford Hotel? Share your experiences!