“Ok”

North Stafford Hotel
Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Stoke-on-Trent
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

We used this as a stop off from Alton Towers. Not the most comfy beds but adequate just to put your head down for the night. Rooms and hotel really need a whole renovation, we tried playing pool but the cues had no cue heads available. Can not though fault the staff.
Breakfast was great. Next time I would look elsewhere.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Lee R

Reviewed 15 August 2014

I booked this hotel for the all inclusive accommodation and theme park tickets break to Alton Towers. Wish I had read the reviews before advising my cousin and her family that this was a good deal!. We arrived on a Thursday afternoon and were met by a very unhelpful receptionist. No information was given about paying to park, breakfast,directions to our rooms or how to collect our park tickets. On entering the bedroom my jaw dropped to the floor. I wanted to cry. The hotel decor was so dated it felt like a retro themed hotel from the 70s. The whole room smelt of stale smoke, the furniture was full of dust, the window ledges had black mould around them and were cracked, the TV was so old I'm surprised it worked, the trouser press had no plug, the bathroom had flies in it constantly, the passageway from the lift to our room was soaked with water from a leak in the ceiling. The toilet in my cousins room would not flush and she had to be moved twice as the second room was boiling hot as water pipes ran through it! I could go on but I'm having palpitations thinking about how awful this hotel was. The night time hotel manager was clueless about customer service. Whilst one or two staff were helpful, the rest of them need serious re-training on working in the hospitality industry. I would have slept in the car if I were only staying for one night but sadly had to endure two nights in the hell hole. Britannia Hotels get your act together and refurbish this hotel immediately. You made what should have been an enjoyable break an endurance test. Thankfully I lived to tell the tale

Room Tip: I'm not sure that there are any decent rooms in this hotel. Nicest part if the hotel was the la...
Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Elizabeth M
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Booked in here for work at the university as it was the closest Hotel on our booking system, sadly location is the only positive thing i can say about the hotel.

The hotel really is closer to smart Hostel if i am being really honest. Check in was very un-personal and not overly welcoming. The decor and frontage are in need of some serious attention. Dated is one thing, this is just truly unloved, which is a shame as when you look closely there are some wonderful details of the buildings history.

That direct you to the lift, i think to get you to avoid the stairs, first run of stairs not bad, carpet is ok and some pictures, once out of reception view, the walls and carpet are in a very poor condition and no pictures, it's like they had a bankrupts sale and cleared the walls of all the artwork in a panic sale.

The room i had, well if Frodo Baggins wanted a hotel the ceiling heights would be perfect for him and his friends. On exiting the lift you are greeted by a warning sign over dmap carpet where there is clearly a leak. My room, well dark is only thing only with all the lights on did it feel less like a hole, with a wonderful view of broken wine glasses in the guttering under the window and scaffolding. The room is so tided you would think this was a episode of the hotel inspector, pre not post intervention. The bathroom was large and open, in need of a facelift but a good size.

I can't remember a time when i have stayed in a hotel with a large style TV and only 6 channels to choice from, if you can make them out through the white noise.

I could bring myself to try the restaurant to be honest so settled for the Subway next door.

i have honestly stayed in 100's of hotels now due to my job, in all styles and standards but basic people are basics for a reason. the mattress was in poor condition and closely reminded me of a concert slab i once helped my father lay for a shed many years ago. The pillows like the bricks we used for the footings, once I had located the 2 additional pillows in the clear sack that looked like a recycling bin bag in the wardrobe.

The noise throughout, from the pipes to the floors, growing up i can't remember this many stories lines in Faulty Towers yet alone in a really hotel.

I feel for the few staff i interacted with who appeared as disappointed as myself being there, they try a smile and welcome or goodbye to make it better, but honestly this place needs to close for a major refurbishment.

I couldn't see any star ratings on entering the hotel, which after stay i am not surprised by sadly. In its hay day you can see this place was something special. Having stayed in another Britannia hotel it looks like the lack of care and investment is the business theme and so would not be recommending to anyone from my company to use it on our visits moving forward with our new venture.

Room Tip: Choose the premier inn or holiday inn
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank JamesW-UK-Travel
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Unless you need to stay here because of the location it's not worth wasting your money. Stayed for 4 nights and in that time the bed sheets weren't changed once. Although once an impressive building, it's now little maintained and the place is generally filthy. The food is lousy as all sittings are a 'hot buffet' meaning it's either dried-out or ran out and it's all self-service. An added extra are the drunks who take up residence on the forecourt of the hotel with no effort to move them on. Service is generally lax. Take your money elsewhere - seriously!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Well what can I say. After reading Lindsey L's review I totally agree with her comments. We must have stayed in the same room, the stale smell of smoke was horrendous, made us cough until we were nearly sick. We didn't bother to complain as it was for one night only and hotel was full, so nowhere else to accommodate us in the hotel. I confess that I just sat on the bed and laughed, it was just so unbelievable, listening to other guests staying in rooms near us, they must have had similar rooms to ours because when they opened their bedroom doors you could hear laughter!! I knew reason why!! Didn't sleep very much, shower was tricky, downstairs and overnight bags in car before breakfast room open. I will say the staff at breakfast were more friendly and varied food selection which was hot and we both enjoyed. Staff on reception when checking out not friendly. Shame as hotel so imposing and in great position opposite the railway station.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Stayed overnight a few weeks back since a friend had their wedding there. Would not recommend this place to anybody. £75 for B&B for a hot, dirty, tired room and poor quality food at breakfast and the evening buffet. Reception we're rude when we complained about the state of the room and wouldn't move us. Recommend you stay elsewhere.

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Stayed in a twin room for 2 nights while visiting Keele for a university graduation. Located right in front of train station. Nothing much in the surrounding area. Room and bathroom are ancient, but spacious. Creaky floors. While not the best hotel I've ever stayed at, there's nothing major that I want to point out. Except for the front desk service. Not exactly unfriendly, but not exactly helpful either. When in the hospitality industry, please smile even if you don't mean it. Some people have come a long way and spent a lot of money to travel you know.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stoke-on-Trent
Quality Hotel & Leisure Stoke on Trent
Travelodge Stoke on Trent Trentham
Borough Arms Hotel
Borough Arms Hotel
#2 of 5 in Newcastle-under-Lyme

Been to North Stafford Hotel? Share your experiences!