“Dance weekend”

Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Stoke-on-Trent
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“Dance weekend”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I have stayed here each year since 2012. The hotel is immediately opposite the station so
transport links are good. However, there is nothing else near the hotel. You have to take a bus into Hanley for shops, restaurants etc,
The hotel is clean but a little tired. The TVs are out of the Ark!
The dining room is very hot and the buffet chaotic as the food is not arranged in a logical
order. The food is satisfactory but no more.
I have decided to opt out of going to the weekend in 2015.

Room Tip: Beware 105 as air conditioning unit is outside and very noisy!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
Brighton
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Vowed never to stay again, but school holidays and proximity to Alton Towers meant options for Stoke were limited. When we arrived the front desk pointed out a sign that there were two weddings in the hotel and would be going on til 12:30, so I asked if these were likely to be noisy and was told yes!!! I said they should have warned us, only response was, so do you want to try and find somewhere else! Nice! The room we were given my partner had previously stayed in he recognised everything from the view of the ventilation system to the hole in the carpet, when he stayed before without me, this had been advertised and sold as a small double suitable for one person, apparently now its suitable for a couple, small double bed with a single bed headboard. The carpet was threadbare, one side of the bed was against the wall and the TV was ancient. When we returned from dining out, the wedding was in full swing, not just the dull thump of distant music, but we could hear and sing along to every word and hear clearly every word the DJ said. To top it all you have to pay for parking. Its such a shame its such a character hotel and could be so classy. Last time we stayed I found a dog in the corridors, this time a loaf of bread sat in the hallway for our entire stay.

Room Tip: A different hotel
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Rontastic

Travellers are raving about these Stoke-on-Trent hotels

Buckingham
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

Don't bother, starts off nice ie. bar and lobby. But once you go up it goes downhill, rooms are very tacky, and staff are not much better, messed are reservation up, then called us back once we had checked out to say we had left stuff in room, then when got there, said there was nothing in room! Very poor

Stayed August 2014
2 Thank T-bird201
Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Stayed here in mid August for two nights during an Alton Towers trip.
I was a bit nervous about this place after reading the reviews, but it turns out there was nothing to worry about! The receptionist was friendly and polite, and the room was clean, quiet, spacious and well kept. The bar staff were lovely, though the drinks were overpriced.
We opted for breakfast as it was included in the deal. There were a lot of dirty tables and the only waiter was quite rude. The food was okay. However, we went in with low expectations and as quick meal before a day at Alton Towers it was good enough for us.

Overall, definitely worth the money, but unless your meals are included I would recommend eating elsewhere.

Room Tip: Our room was on the second floor and faced the station
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sarahf19
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

We used this as a stop off from Alton Towers. Not the most comfy beds but adequate just to put your head down for the night. Rooms and hotel really need a whole renovation, we tried playing pool but the cues had no cue heads available. Can not though fault the staff.
Breakfast was great. Next time I would look elsewhere.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Lee R
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2014

I booked this hotel for the all inclusive accommodation and theme park tickets break to Alton Towers. Wish I had read the reviews before advising my cousin and her family that this was a good deal!. We arrived on a Thursday afternoon and were met by a very unhelpful receptionist. No information was given about paying to park, breakfast,directions to our rooms or how to collect our park tickets. On entering the bedroom my jaw dropped to the floor. I wanted to cry. The hotel decor was so dated it felt like a retro themed hotel from the 70s. The whole room smelt of stale smoke, the furniture was full of dust, the window ledges had black mould around them and were cracked, the TV was so old I'm surprised it worked, the trouser press had no plug, the bathroom had flies in it constantly, the passageway from the lift to our room was soaked with water from a leak in the ceiling. The toilet in my cousins room would not flush and she had to be moved twice as the second room was boiling hot as water pipes ran through it! I could go on but I'm having palpitations thinking about how awful this hotel was. The night time hotel manager was clueless about customer service. Whilst one or two staff were helpful, the rest of them need serious re-training on working in the hospitality industry. I would have slept in the car if I were only staying for one night but sadly had to endure two nights in the hell hole. Britannia Hotels get your act together and refurbish this hotel immediately. You made what should have been an enjoyable break an endurance test. Thankfully I lived to tell the tale

Room Tip: I'm not sure that there are any decent rooms in this hotel. Nicest part if the hotel was the la...
Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Elizabeth M
Hampshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Booked in here for work at the university as it was the closest Hotel on our booking system, sadly location is the only positive thing i can say about the hotel.

The hotel really is closer to smart Hostel if i am being really honest. Check in was very un-personal and not overly welcoming. The decor and frontage are in need of some serious attention. Dated is one thing, this is just truly unloved, which is a shame as when you look closely there are some wonderful details of the buildings history.

That direct you to the lift, i think to get you to avoid the stairs, first run of stairs not bad, carpet is ok and some pictures, once out of reception view, the walls and carpet are in a very poor condition and no pictures, it's like they had a bankrupts sale and cleared the walls of all the artwork in a panic sale.

The room i had, well if Frodo Baggins wanted a hotel the ceiling heights would be perfect for him and his friends. On exiting the lift you are greeted by a warning sign over dmap carpet where there is clearly a leak. My room, well dark is only thing only with all the lights on did it feel less like a hole, with a wonderful view of broken wine glasses in the guttering under the window and scaffolding. The room is so tided you would think this was a episode of the hotel inspector, pre not post intervention. The bathroom was large and open, in need of a facelift but a good size.

I can't remember a time when i have stayed in a hotel with a large style TV and only 6 channels to choice from, if you can make them out through the white noise.

I could bring myself to try the restaurant to be honest so settled for the Subway next door.

i have honestly stayed in 100's of hotels now due to my job, in all styles and standards but basic people are basics for a reason. the mattress was in poor condition and closely reminded me of a concert slab i once helped my father lay for a shed many years ago. The pillows like the bricks we used for the footings, once I had located the 2 additional pillows in the clear sack that looked like a recycling bin bag in the wardrobe.

The noise throughout, from the pipes to the floors, growing up i can't remember this many stories lines in Faulty Towers yet alone in a really hotel.

I feel for the few staff i interacted with who appeared as disappointed as myself being there, they try a smile and welcome or goodbye to make it better, but honestly this place needs to close for a major refurbishment.

I couldn't see any star ratings on entering the hotel, which after stay i am not surprised by sadly. In its hay day you can see this place was something special. Having stayed in another Britannia hotel it looks like the lack of care and investment is the business theme and so would not be recommending to anyone from my company to use it on our visits moving forward with our new venture.

Room Tip: Choose the premier inn or holiday inn
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank James W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stoke-on-Trent
Quality Hotel & Leisure Stoke on Trent
#1 of 1 in Burslem
Borough Arms Hotel
Borough Arms Hotel
#2 of 5 in Newcastle-under-Lyme

Been to North Stafford Hotel? Share your experiences!