“VERY NICE FOOD”

Ranked #170 of 581 Restaurants in Stoke-on-Trent
Price range: US$24 - US$40
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Alton Towers resort brings you 3 exciting eateries, all with a fun and vibrant theme. Dine in Secret Garden, The Emperor Restaurant or Flambo's Exotic Feast. With beautiful views of the lake and gardens, Secret Garden Restaurant has a healthy kids menu and cosmopolitan brasserie-style cuisine. Special features at Secret Garden include a talking tree and lush plants.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

This restaurant is in the Alton Towers hotel, it is where you can get your self service buffet breakfast in the morning and a la carte dining the rest of the time.

As with any ‘all you can eat buffet’, you can’t really get this wrong unless you’re trying to!

Unlimited fried breakfast is an awesome start to any day, especially one as busy as and packed as it will be going around Alton Towers theme park. The rest of the breakfast selection is as you would expect with cereals, croissants, bread/toast with butters and jams etc...

They advise you to book in advance and I would suggest doing this before your arrival rather than at check-in because that is probably one of the main causes of delay there.

Even if you have booked, you will find yourself queuing to get seated behind all of those that have not booked in any case but we always managed to get seated and sufficiently fed.

We also returned in the evening to sample the a la carte dining on our last evening, this was to save travelling too far a field for food and I have to say it was good and thoroughly enjoyable.

At £25 and although a bit on the pricey side, I would recommend the Beef, Beef and Beef dish as this was quite possibly the best example of 3 different kinds Beef that I have enjoyed. You could always have this as a shared meal between the 2 of you with an extra side of your choice.

Speaking of choice, the menu is not massive but the selection that they have got they seemingly do very well which is the best way to be I feel.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I'll start with the positives:
- Ordered the 10oz Butterfly Chicken breast with chips and it was delightful. The chips are lovely and chunky and have a very tasty batter on them. The chicken was also very well flavoured and definetly filled me up!
- The restaurant setting itself is lovely and felt very at ease in there.
- The staff were all helpful and friendly (once you got their attention!)
- A wide variety of food on the menu, and able to modify orders to meet your liking.
- Waiting times. The service was fantastic. The food arrived within 10 minutes and was lovely and hot.

Negatives:
- The price! This cost £15 alone purely for the main course. For this price it was a very expensive meal, however I suppose this is normal for a hotel so can not complain too much!
- Being surrounded by children. It would be nice if there could be a separation for families with children and separate section for anyone else. I personally would find this much nicer that way.

Other than that, a very enjoyable meal!

A good tip is don't forget to book (can easily do it online) as it does get quite busy!

3  Thank ReviewerSam999
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I have just visited the secret garden restaurant after a long day in the theme park.... I am shocked by other negative reviews as our experience was so positive!! we are staying at Splash landings but were advised to eat at the secret garden as I am Vegan and they said the chef would come and have a chat with me and see what he could do for me!!

I’ve not had service like this whilst being away for a few days! The chef on duty Shallaw (sorry if spelling incorrect) came to my table and chatted with me, he offered me a number of vegan things he would freshly make me up! Including a vegan pizza had I wanted..... I decided to go for a curry. He freshly prepared me a vegan Rogan josh, chips which he assured were cooked seperate to anything else and a large portion of vegan suitable bread. The curry was delicous and the chips (cooked three ways) were amazing! The young dark haired waitress was lovely too.

If only you could get this sort of enthusiasm from chefs inside the theme park also! :)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We have visited The Secret garden on many occasions whilst staying at splash landings hotel and must say we have never had such a poor experience as we have had this time. We booked a table at 7.30pm and was seated a little earlier than that it wasn't over busy we ordered our food pretty much straight away and we waited and waited our starters came an hour later as you can imagine our children were by now getting extremely agitated and tired. Our main course arrived at 925pm nearly 2 hrs after we had sat down tables surrounding us who had arrived after us had had 3 courses and left by then not just one table but 4. By the time the food had arrived we were all too tired to eat so we settled the bill and left considering the price of the food this has left us extremely dissapointent.

1  Thank Trudy015
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Firstly before I write my review I wanted to mention we are Merlin passholders and are not new to Merlin, however this was our first stay here.

We booked in for Dinner of the Friday night and we were given a couple of times so assumed they were busy and took one of the times. When we got down there it was busy but I would say it was only about half full. It looked like they had cut down the amount of staff and reduced the covers to ensure they could serve everyone.

We ordered our food and drinks - the drinks came quickly however the food did take a while. When it arrived it was ok - My daughters pasta was quite hard and my wife Caesar salad was swimming in a pool of water and Caesar salad dressing - we sent that one back.

The restaurant was very dated would have probably been ok gong back a few years but I certainly would pay for the setting.

The overall expectation alongside what you would have hoped and expected from a Merlin venue was very disappointing and we would not return.

We also had breakfast here (it was included in the price) and honestly it was a huge let down, They do a similar style all you can eat buffet to Premier inn however the just lower the standards and that shows in the food quality, The options feel limited and I felt like we were there either out of season or at the end of service when the food that was left only needed to last another 3-4 guests.

The fruit offering was minimal - 3 small bowls with very poor quality fruit, the hot drinks were vile and the fruit juice was more diluted than a Fruit squash and totally flavourless. The bacon was quite thick but was chewy and the flavour was incredibly bland. It was clearly cheap meat.

As a family we are not highly demanding and we quite like cheap eating however when you pay a premium price for low quality food it makes you not want to return and for use the Premier inn was a much better choice.

We were all very disappointed and if you have the option I would eat somewhere else.

1  Thank Chris B