“DON'T STAY HERE!!”

Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Stoke-on-Trent
London, United Kingdom
“DON'T STAY HERE!!”
Reviewed 12 July 2013

If you do you have only got yourself to blame. My experience reflects that of other reviewers, but I paid for my room in advance and as it was so bad that I had to leave, they will not reimburse my money - so BEWARE.

The motel looks grotty on arrival is run down, and not welcoming. Single beds, no amenities and the TV was broken, they offered to get the maintenance man out but couldn't say whether he would turn up or not!

The worst thing and the reason for my leaving was that the door had been wrenched off by a previous guest (or the owners) and there was a hole where the lock had been. A yale lock had been added but was held on with one screw, and didn't lock. The door could be pushed open with my body weight so it was not safe either to leave my belongings in or to stay in as a lone woman traveller.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

Room Tip: There isn't one
Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Nolongerreviewing

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2013

We booked ton stay at the Plough Hotel for 1 night following my Mum's 80th Birthday Party prior to going on holiday.

We were booked with my sister 2 rooms. When we arrived my Sister and Brother-in-Law were at the desk. They had been told that our rooms were still occupied by the previous occupants and they wouldn't leave.

The receptionist was flustered and had no idea what to do. We asked to speak to the manager who was off site. Hevsaid he would be there in 30 min and would sort it. We left to prepare for the party.

We tried to find alternative accommodation fir the night but could not! After about 1 hour we spoke to the manager who said that it was an admin error and that the rooms were available!

We went back to the rooms - these were dated, bathroom dilapidated, with a cracked sink and a stain on the shower curtain.

My Sisters room was on the first floor - there appeared to be 1 stairway which would have been insufficient should there be an emergency!

Fortunately we were only there one night! We went to the dining room for breakfast on Sunday morning but the overwhelming smell of grease soon turned us round. We had a very enjoyable breakfast at Frankie and Benny's Trentham Gardens

I would not recommend here, even for a single overnight stay. Book early and get Travelodge or Premier Inn!

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Rachel S

Travellers are raving about these Stoke-on-Trent hotels

Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2013

I cannot write a genuine review on my stay - because I did not get that far.

I only wanted to make you aware that the customer service at this hotel was shocking and appalling. I received no resolution and more or less had to arrange my own accommodation after my room was over booked. I was reduced to tears by the uncaring and unhelpful staff, who informed me that my room had been overbooked and that 'there were no rooms available'. The staff offered no resolution, had barely any people skills, let alone customer service skills. I have never been treated so badly at home and in all of my travels.

Please see my review of The Crown Hotel in Longton, for the terrible experience we had in their partner hotel, which we were eventually sent to following an almost two hour ordeal with the manager of The Plough.

I would not recommend either of these hotels. Just Terrible.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Cheili
Reviewed 7 July 2013

It would have been better getting a taxi back to Manchester than wasting our money staying in this place. Simple rooms and minimal facilities I can handle, considering the cost of the rooms it was to be expected - the management and customer service in this place leaves a lot to be desired. You would think they aren't bothered about repeat custom never mind the well being of their guests.
A group of 6 of us arrived on Saturday night just after 7pm. Upon a arrival we were greeted by a lady who was, to be fair, very pleasant. She did inform us, however that the 1 twin and 2 doubles we had booked were un available due to over-booking. We had to settle for 2 twin rooms and one double. Fair enough - these things happen. We were then informed that one of our rooms was also still not ready owing to the fact that previous occupants had gone off to Alton Towers with the key and had only just brought it back - we would have to wait for the room to be made up. Evidently there was no such thing as a spare key in this hotel!!!
We eventually got to our rooms, however (after attempting to navigate their numbering system that made no sense whatsoever. The rooms were basic and quite frankly not particularly clean. No amenities such as soap or shampoo but for what we paid it was reasonable. We did, however notice that one of the beds was broken - it had a dip in the middle and springs sticking out. Brilliant! Furthermore, there was absolutely no cold water whatsoever - just scalding hot water that was un-useable. We went down to reception to complain and were told that there was nothing they could do. There was no maintenance man available and no chance of a room swap. All she could do was apologise. We asked what she suggested we do regarding the water situation and she said she didn't have a solution. We asked to speak to the manager to organise a possible discount or free breakfast to compensate and were informed that he was in fact in a meeting in a other hotel (at 8 o'clock at night - likely) and he didn't have a mobile phone. So there was no way our issue could be rectified.
Fortunately we were able to shower in our friends room, however had we been travelling alone this would not have been possible! So we had to make do with sharing showers and sleeping on the barbed wire mattress.
The following morning we went to try and discuss this with the owner of the hotel. The lady on reception was very surly and would not let us speak to him. Instead she took our room numbers and went to talk to him. She returned and said that there had been a noise complaint about one if our rooms (unlikely considering the fact we were out most of the night) and that the manager wouldn't do anything therefore to compensate our bad experience. We left in disbelief and complete shock at the terrible way in which this hotel treats its guests. There really are no other words to describe this experience - disgusting, inhospitable and completely lacking in any form of customer service. Never ever again - they deserve to be shut down.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Lauren A
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2013

I arrived around midnight, having advised that I would be late. The “24 hour reception” was clueless as to what I had booked. Once this was sorted out I eventually found my room. The numbering was not in a logical format.
The room was dirty and very dowdy. I was reluctant to take my shoes off as the carpet looked as if it had not been cleaned in years. There were no pillow cases and as there was no phone in the room, I decided to just get on with it rather than go all the way back down.
I sat on the bed an almost landed on the floor as it was so low, Most of the springs had seen better days. I even thought about sleeping in the car.
After a very fitful night’s sleep (!) all I wanted was a shower and to get out of there. However, the shaver socket did not work, lucky my shaver was charged up. I turned on the hot water, which was scalding. However, there was NO cold water, so no shower. I managed a brief wash in the sink.

The only redeeming feature was that there was ample car parking space.

If you are thinking about staying here, please DON’t.

Room Tip: DON'T book here
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Steve5010
leeds
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Arrived and it seemed ok (looks are deceiving)! food not too bad although one of us found a hair! Rooms I have never experienced anything like it they smell really bad 3inch of dust by the bed beds so hard you cant sleep.. toilet did not flush! DEAD COCKROACHES under the bed spiders everywhere no soap. staff are ok it is the management and the owners that is the problem the manager would not even speak to me and i am still waiting on a phone call from him! breakfast ok but the waiter took our order wrong then shouted at us for getting it wrong. All in all i would have rather slept in the car it would have have been cleaner! I would not recommend this to anybody the worst hotel if you can call it that ever!!!!

Room Tip: dont do it
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank LeedsRuby
stoke-on-trent
Reviewed 14 May 2013

Stayed for a 1 night stay visiting Alton Towers and Wedgewood.... Friendly staff nothing was too much trouble and the carvey lunch for £3.95 per per person was fantastic.... will definately stay again...

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank gill3412
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stoke-on-Trent
Holiday Inn Express Stoke-on-Trent
Quality Hotel & Leisure Stoke on Trent
Premier Inn Stoke-On-Trent (Hanley) Hotel
Borough Arms Hotel
Borough Arms Hotel
#2 of 5 in Newcastle-under-Lyme
Premier Inn Stoke/Trentham Gardens Hotel
Best Western Plus Stoke-On-Trent Moat House

Been to Plough Motel? Share your experiences!