“Not good, but not as bad as I feared. OK for 1 or 2 nights.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Plough Motel

Plough Motel
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Stoke-on-Trent
Mechelen, Belgium
“Not good, but not as bad as I feared. OK for 1 or 2 nights.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

I stayed for 1 night as I was attending an event and 2 of friends had already booked there. Having read the reviews on Tripadvisors I really was expecting a hotel from hell. Arriving, the motel has a scruffy appearance, the place is quite clearly not maintained. The reception is unmanned (that's OK btw) and the person who doubles behind the bar tried to check me in but they couldn't find the room key, it took an hour to sort out. The room was pretty good, appeared to be clean with a few minor blemishes here and there. Amenities were tea, coffee, soap, large and small towel. The shower worked OK if a little low pressure. I didn't use the TV but assumed it worked. The bed was lumpy. The motel part of the complex does have a built-in down side, all the rooms are non-smoking so guests congregate along the open walkway and that makes it somewhat noisy, the walls do also allow noise from adjacent rooms to be heard clearly. I ate a meal that in terms of presentation was poor but it well cooked. I also had the cooked breakfast consisting of a sausage, a rasher of bacon, an egg and some baked beans, a round of toast and butter and coffee, all for £3.75. Wasn't spectacular I'd give it 6 out of 10.

All the staff were friendly but there did appear too few. This place has the potential to be a very successful venue. The general infrastructure is there, 2 bars, restaurant, plenty of parking, beer garden and hotel rooms. What this hotel needs is a motivated hands-on manager/owner who can organise the place. With the industrial park, the Britannia stadium and Trentham gardens all in close proximity the motel could be a winner. I do wish them luck. Yes I will stay there again it's so close to where I need to be, OK as in my case for 1 night maybe 2 at a push but if you're going to stay longer or want something in better condition then pay the extra £20 - 255 per night elsewhere.

Room Tip: Ground floor away from the stairwell.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Thank chris.lalor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Welwyn Garden City, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2013

Had a one night stay here prior to my graduation ceremony to eliminate the need to drive up early in the morning. The party consisted of my girlfriend and me in one room, and my mum and my dad in another. In terms of the room, I can only really comment on my own: the room facilities were okay, we had a working flatscreen TV with freeview, quite a large (fairly comfortable) bed, however the shower head was broken, the plastic had all snapped which meant it would not stay in the holder on the wall and kept falling down.

The hotel only seems to have two people working there, trying to do all tasks possible, so I can understand them being frustrated, but they were incredibly moody and unresponsive. When trying to order drinks at the bar, there was only one person serving, and she ended up having to leave half way through to take on reception duties, leaving the bar empty with people still waiting to order drinks. The food wasn't too bad, the "chicken strips" starter seemed remarkably similar to frozen chicken nuggets. I had the mixed grill and it was alright, not horrible, but not spectacular either.

Despite being in a double room with the staff knowing there would be two occupants, we were given a single shower towel, and when we asked for an extra, we were told they had none.

Overall I wouldn't recommend staying here unless it's just a single night stop-over and you're desperate for a place to stay.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank CNBriggs

Travellers are raving about these Stoke-on-Trent hotels

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2013

If you do you have only got yourself to blame. My experience reflects that of other reviewers, but I paid for my room in advance and as it was so bad that I had to leave, they will not reimburse my money - so BEWARE.

The motel looks grotty on arrival is run down, and not welcoming. Single beds, no amenities and the TV was broken, they offered to get the maintenance man out but couldn't say whether he would turn up or not!

The worst thing and the reason for my leaving was that the door had been wrenched off by a previous guest (or the owners) and there was a hole where the lock had been. A yale lock had been added but was held on with one screw, and didn't lock. The door could be pushed open with my body weight so it was not safe either to leave my belongings in or to stay in as a lone woman traveller.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

Room Tip: There isn't one
Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Nolongerreviewing
Gloucester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2013

We booked ton stay at the Plough Hotel for 1 night following my Mum's 80th Birthday Party prior to going on holiday.

We were booked with my sister 2 rooms. When we arrived my Sister and Brother-in-Law were at the desk. They had been told that our rooms were still occupied by the previous occupants and they wouldn't leave.

The receptionist was flustered and had no idea what to do. We asked to speak to the manager who was off site. Hevsaid he would be there in 30 min and would sort it. We left to prepare for the party.

We tried to find alternative accommodation fir the night but could not! After about 1 hour we spoke to the manager who said that it was an admin error and that the rooms were available!

We went back to the rooms - these were dated, bathroom dilapidated, with a cracked sink and a stain on the shower curtain.

My Sisters room was on the first floor - there appeared to be 1 stairway which would have been insufficient should there be an emergency!

Fortunately we were only there one night! We went to the dining room for breakfast on Sunday morning but the overwhelming smell of grease soon turned us round. We had a very enjoyable breakfast at Frankie and Benny's Trentham Gardens

I would not recommend here, even for a single overnight stay. Book early and get Travelodge or Premier Inn!

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Rachel S
Poole, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2013

I cannot write a genuine review on my stay - because I did not get that far.

I only wanted to make you aware that the customer service at this hotel was shocking and appalling. I received no resolution and more or less had to arrange my own accommodation after my room was over booked. I was reduced to tears by the uncaring and unhelpful staff, who informed me that my room had been overbooked and that 'there were no rooms available'. The staff offered no resolution, had barely any people skills, let alone customer service skills. I have never been treated so badly at home and in all of my travels.

Please see my review of The Crown Hotel in Longton, for the terrible experience we had in their partner hotel, which we were eventually sent to following an almost two hour ordeal with the manager of The Plough.

I would not recommend either of these hotels. Just Terrible.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Cheili
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2013

It would have been better getting a taxi back to Manchester than wasting our money staying in this place. Simple rooms and minimal facilities I can handle, considering the cost of the rooms it was to be expected - the management and customer service in this place leaves a lot to be desired. You would think they aren't bothered about repeat custom never mind the well being of their guests.
A group of 6 of us arrived on Saturday night just after 7pm. Upon a arrival we were greeted by a lady who was, to be fair, very pleasant. She did inform us, however that the 1 twin and 2 doubles we had booked were un available due to over-booking. We had to settle for 2 twin rooms and one double. Fair enough - these things happen. We were then informed that one of our rooms was also still not ready owing to the fact that previous occupants had gone off to Alton Towers with the key and had only just brought it back - we would have to wait for the room to be made up. Evidently there was no such thing as a spare key in this hotel!!!
We eventually got to our rooms, however (after attempting to navigate their numbering system that made no sense whatsoever. The rooms were basic and quite frankly not particularly clean. No amenities such as soap or shampoo but for what we paid it was reasonable. We did, however notice that one of the beds was broken - it had a dip in the middle and springs sticking out. Brilliant! Furthermore, there was absolutely no cold water whatsoever - just scalding hot water that was un-useable. We went down to reception to complain and were told that there was nothing they could do. There was no maintenance man available and no chance of a room swap. All she could do was apologise. We asked what she suggested we do regarding the water situation and she said she didn't have a solution. We asked to speak to the manager to organise a possible discount or free breakfast to compensate and were informed that he was in fact in a meeting in a other hotel (at 8 o'clock at night - likely) and he didn't have a mobile phone. So there was no way our issue could be rectified.
Fortunately we were able to shower in our friends room, however had we been travelling alone this would not have been possible! So we had to make do with sharing showers and sleeping on the barbed wire mattress.
The following morning we went to try and discuss this with the owner of the hotel. The lady on reception was very surly and would not let us speak to him. Instead she took our room numbers and went to talk to him. She returned and said that there had been a noise complaint about one if our rooms (unlikely considering the fact we were out most of the night) and that the manager wouldn't do anything therefore to compensate our bad experience. We left in disbelief and complete shock at the terrible way in which this hotel treats its guests. There really are no other words to describe this experience - disgusting, inhospitable and completely lacking in any form of customer service. Never ever again - they deserve to be shut down.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Lauren A
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2013

I arrived around midnight, having advised that I would be late. The “24 hour reception” was clueless as to what I had booked. Once this was sorted out I eventually found my room. The numbering was not in a logical format.
The room was dirty and very dowdy. I was reluctant to take my shoes off as the carpet looked as if it had not been cleaned in years. There were no pillow cases and as there was no phone in the room, I decided to just get on with it rather than go all the way back down.
I sat on the bed an almost landed on the floor as it was so low, Most of the springs had seen better days. I even thought about sleeping in the car.
After a very fitful night’s sleep (!) all I wanted was a shower and to get out of there. However, the shaver socket did not work, lucky my shaver was charged up. I turned on the hot water, which was scalding. However, there was NO cold water, so no shower. I managed a brief wash in the sink.

The only redeeming feature was that there was ample car parking space.

If you are thinking about staying here, please DON’t.

Room Tip: DON'T book here
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Steve5010
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stoke-on-Trent
Holiday Inn Express Stoke-on-Trent
Quality Hotel & Leisure Stoke on Trent
Premier Inn Stoke-On-Trent (Hanley) Hotel
Borough Arms Hotel
Borough Arms Hotel
#2 of 5 in Newcastle-under-Lyme
Premier Inn Stoke/Trentham Gardens Hotel
Best Western Plus Stoke on Trent Moat House

Been to Plough Motel? Share your experiences!