“Terrible!!”

Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Stoke-on-Trent
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Terrible!!”
Reviewed 29 July 2013

I booked this motel for my partner and i and another couple. It was £40 a room which i thought was fairly reasonable, as we were going to Alton Towers on the Sunday so the location was pretty OK for us. To then arrive at the motel to think that it was actually closed down which luckily it wasn't, when walking into the motel there was a sign on the door saying 'work in progress' which worried us, we waited at reception for about 10mins before being seen by the receptionist, although we arrived at about 3.30 and check in was from 2pm and we was told the cleaners hadn't returned our keys to be able to go to our room. On request i asked for our rooms to be together, when we finally got our keys we found that our rooms were on the other side of the motel from each other, i asked the lady if we could have one together but she replied with there fully booked.
Once we got to our rooms it was extremely out dated, the beds were possibly the most uncomfortable and loudest beds id ever laid on and the same in our friends room. The 'bar' area was empty so we decided to go over the road to another pub were all the people were really friendly and polite and we ended up staying there most of our stay. We eventually went back to the motel for a drink before we went back to our rooms, there were about 5 people in there and there was no Budweiser... Carling... or cider! Not very impressive.
There was a fishing group that also checked in and there was a fair bit of noise coming from them at about 1am in the morning which i wasn't happy about at all.
And then there was breakfast.... i can really call it that!! We had prepaid £3.75 each for breakfast on the Sunday morning.. well how can i put this.... disgusting is an understatement. There was an older couple who had ordered and got there breakfast whilst we were seated, and it took the guy 25mins to take our order.. to then get our tea and coffee which we had to drown in sugar for it to even taste the slightest bit nice. My friend had cordial as he doesn't drink hot drinks and it came with all white substance on the top as if it still have dishwasher liquid in it. After 35mins of waiting for our breakfast we was contemplating on leaving and going else were. It finally came after about 45mins and it was how can i put this.... disgraceful to say the least!!! Uneatable... burnt.... overcooked.... greasy... just absolutely horrendous. We mentioned it to the guy that served us it and he said 'I'm only the night porter i haven't cooked it' as we said that it was disgusting we should of gone to Harvesters and he basically agreed with us. My partner and our friend attempted to eat the sausage (which was like rubber) in the toast because we had paid for it and they couldn't even stomach that. As for mine and my friends we didn't even touch it other wise we would of been sick.
As we got up there was a couple and their two kids waiting for there breakfast and we basically told them i wouldn't wait for it because it wasn't eatable and they went to pay for what the kids had already had and wanted to also leave.
We up and left it and waited the check out and the night porter just took our keys and we left.
We couldn't believe that they would even serve that up as a breakfast or anything at all because i would of been embarrassed. We were all just thankful that we hadn't had our tea in there the night before.
I wouldn't pay £20 a room at this motel I'm afraid.

Room Tip: I wouldn't go back and i defiantly wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Sinead D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2013

Good little place and pleasant staff for the cheap price! We stayed there for 3 nights.
Breakfast wasn't amazing (a bit lacking) but when we commented to the staff they apologised gave us a bit extra.
The bar is welcoming and friendly which surprised us, had a great few drinks, there's not much in the beer garden though.
The place is great for the price, especially compared to some other overpriced hotels we have stayed in Stoke.
We had stayed in another hotel previously in the Stoke area, the Quality Inn in Hanley. For the expensive price it was a grotty old building, the heating was cranked right up so we got a very restless sleep considering is was middle of winter and the rooms decor was like something out my nans 1980 council house.
Would certainly stay at the Plough again for when we go Alton Towers or visit friends there.
We did look at some of the reviews on here, obviously some of the people on here expect the Ritz hotel for around £35 a night, it's not going to happen folks!

Room Tip: Our double room was fine for a couple.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
burnley
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Stayed for 2 separate nights,the 15th of July room 32 ok the 22nd July room 38, the telly did not work,the sink was cracked and full of hairs and no shower head.had breakfast, on first morning did not bother on second i was the only person in the breakfast room at 8 30, one grey sausage,one cremated rasher,one,popped curly egg and half a rock hard tomato, no orange no cereal.The car park was full of vans so this clearly a place that lads working in the area use to get their head down at a reasonable cost. On the plus side across the road about 20 yards up there is pub called the Gardeners Retreat very nice garden real ale and freindly staff.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Stoke-on-Trent hotels

Mechelen, Belgium
Reviewed 22 July 2013

I stayed for 1 night as I was attending an event and 2 of friends had already booked there. Having read the reviews on Tripadvisors I really was expecting a hotel from hell. Arriving, the motel has a scruffy appearance, the place is quite clearly not maintained. The reception is unmanned (that's OK btw) and the person who doubles behind the bar tried to check me in but they couldn't find the room key, it took an hour to sort out. The room was pretty good, appeared to be clean with a few minor blemishes here and there. Amenities were tea, coffee, soap, large and small towel. The shower worked OK if a little low pressure. I didn't use the TV but assumed it worked. The bed was lumpy. The motel part of the complex does have a built-in down side, all the rooms are non-smoking so guests congregate along the open walkway and that makes it somewhat noisy, the walls do also allow noise from adjacent rooms to be heard clearly. I ate a meal that in terms of presentation was poor but it well cooked. I also had the cooked breakfast consisting of a sausage, a rasher of bacon, an egg and some baked beans, a round of toast and butter and coffee, all for £3.75. Wasn't spectacular I'd give it 6 out of 10.

All the staff were friendly but there did appear too few. This place has the potential to be a very successful venue. The general infrastructure is there, 2 bars, restaurant, plenty of parking, beer garden and hotel rooms. What this hotel needs is a motivated hands-on manager/owner who can organise the place. With the industrial park, the Britannia stadium and Trentham gardens all in close proximity the motel could be a winner. I do wish them luck. Yes I will stay there again it's so close to where I need to be, OK as in my case for 1 night maybe 2 at a push but if you're going to stay longer or want something in better condition then pay the extra £20 - 255 per night elsewhere.

Room Tip: Ground floor away from the stairwell.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Thank chris.lalor
Welwyn Garden City, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2013

Had a one night stay here prior to my graduation ceremony to eliminate the need to drive up early in the morning. The party consisted of my girlfriend and me in one room, and my mum and my dad in another. In terms of the room, I can only really comment on my own: the room facilities were okay, we had a working flatscreen TV with freeview, quite a large (fairly comfortable) bed, however the shower head was broken, the plastic had all snapped which meant it would not stay in the holder on the wall and kept falling down.

The hotel only seems to have two people working there, trying to do all tasks possible, so I can understand them being frustrated, but they were incredibly moody and unresponsive. When trying to order drinks at the bar, there was only one person serving, and she ended up having to leave half way through to take on reception duties, leaving the bar empty with people still waiting to order drinks. The food wasn't too bad, the "chicken strips" starter seemed remarkably similar to frozen chicken nuggets. I had the mixed grill and it was alright, not horrible, but not spectacular either.

Despite being in a double room with the staff knowing there would be two occupants, we were given a single shower towel, and when we asked for an extra, we were told they had none.

Overall I wouldn't recommend staying here unless it's just a single night stop-over and you're desperate for a place to stay.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank CNBriggs
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 July 2013

If you do you have only got yourself to blame. My experience reflects that of other reviewers, but I paid for my room in advance and as it was so bad that I had to leave, they will not reimburse my money - so BEWARE.

The motel looks grotty on arrival is run down, and not welcoming. Single beds, no amenities and the TV was broken, they offered to get the maintenance man out but couldn't say whether he would turn up or not!

The worst thing and the reason for my leaving was that the door had been wrenched off by a previous guest (or the owners) and there was a hole where the lock had been. A yale lock had been added but was held on with one screw, and didn't lock. The door could be pushed open with my body weight so it was not safe either to leave my belongings in or to stay in as a lone woman traveller.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

Room Tip: There isn't one
Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Nolongerreviewing
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2013

We booked ton stay at the Plough Hotel for 1 night following my Mum's 80th Birthday Party prior to going on holiday.

We were booked with my sister 2 rooms. When we arrived my Sister and Brother-in-Law were at the desk. They had been told that our rooms were still occupied by the previous occupants and they wouldn't leave.

The receptionist was flustered and had no idea what to do. We asked to speak to the manager who was off site. Hevsaid he would be there in 30 min and would sort it. We left to prepare for the party.

We tried to find alternative accommodation fir the night but could not! After about 1 hour we spoke to the manager who said that it was an admin error and that the rooms were available!

We went back to the rooms - these were dated, bathroom dilapidated, with a cracked sink and a stain on the shower curtain.

My Sisters room was on the first floor - there appeared to be 1 stairway which would have been insufficient should there be an emergency!

Fortunately we were only there one night! We went to the dining room for breakfast on Sunday morning but the overwhelming smell of grease soon turned us round. We had a very enjoyable breakfast at Frankie and Benny's Trentham Gardens

I would not recommend here, even for a single overnight stay. Book early and get Travelodge or Premier Inn!

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Rachel S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stoke-on-Trent
Quality Hotel & Leisure Stoke on Trent
#2 of 5 in Newcastle-under-Lyme
George Hotel
George Hotel
#1 of 1 in Burslem

Been to Plough Motel? Share your experiences!