“Needs TLC and some work.”
Review of Plough Motel

Plough Motel
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Stoke-on-Trent
Reviewed 5 May 2014

After reading some not so great reviews about the Plough Motel, we were a little apprehensive. The final lure for me and my partner was the cheaper-the-everything-else price (£108 for three nights) and the reasonably close proximity to Alton Towers.

Upon arrival, we were pleased to see a large car-park. Plenty of room to park comfortably, day or night. The reception was easy to find and well signposted. The receptionist was friendly and chatty. He explained that the chef had unfortunately called in sick and he would be in the kitchen on that night. He explained where our room was etc and seemed to be a very pleasant chap.

When we entered our room, we were greeted with a double bed and two bunk-beds! Online, I had booked a small double, so this was a welcome surprise... Even if there was just the two of us and we didn't need to use the bunk-beds.

The overall cleanliness of the room wasn't great :( A multitude of unidentifiable stains and marks littered the walls and the manky, faded headboard needed to be binned immediately. YUCK. The bath had what appeared to be black nail varnish around the plughole (ive included a photo) and black mould in the tile grout. The shower curtain may have been white once upon a time, but it was an off grey/yellowy colour now... I really don't think the entire room has had a deep clean for a long time. Surface skimming cleaning and missing areas out entirely just isn't satisfactory.

I can understand why other reviewers have complained about the comfort of the beds. You can feel the springs and if anyone were to sleep in this particular set of bunk beds (we laid on them to see if they were as unpleasant as our bed, but did not sleep on them) they would have been kept awake but the constant squeaking of the frame every time they moved. As we had read the other poor reviews, we took a thick duvet of our own to lay on. Very wise. PLEASE DO THE SAME!

The room could also benefit from some general basic maintenance. For example, both sets of lights above the bathroom mirror and the main bedroom mirror didn't work. The fitting on the main bedroom set was also lose and possibly dangerous. Surely broken lights could be simple to replace and should be a priority for health and safety? I like to see in the dark.... No "do not disturb" signs. I did not want anyone walking in on us unannounced, so my other half hand made a sign... No bin in the bathroom. An essential & a courtesy for female guests. The bathroom extractor fan was so filthy and broken. Surely this should work to prevent mould growth and damp? Poor general maintenance and the basic essentials missed is poor and rectifiable and should be investigated.

On the plus side, the TV was well positioned at the end of the bed and was surprisingly large. The room temperature was never too hot or cold. We didn't try the heaters, but we'll give the benefit of the doubt and say they do work... Fingers crossed. We also loved the shower. Really powerful when we could get the shower to attach properly. Fittings were lose. Water was lovely and warm. Some mixer taps are hard to find the balance but this one was okay.

We decided to try the breakfast on our last morning at the motel. The decor in the large restaurant wasn't offensive and it looked cleaner than our room! We chose the full English priced at £5.25 each. Bacon was tasty but the sausage was cardboard pap. Orange squash instead of orange juice and certainly NOT a "wide variety of fresh yoghurt and fruit" as the menu suggested. Staff again were pleasant and friendly.

The Motel has so much potential to be better. Ample parking, lots of rooms, onsite restaurant/pub, reasonable location. I just cannot understand the lax approach to cleanliness and basic maintenance.

Room Tip: Try and face the road. You can see your car all night. Peace of mind.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

straight as we arrived on the 28th april, Was greeted by the hotel staff, while some of us got breaky the others put stuff in our rooms.

got bck at night rooms where awesome. double bed and a bunk. plenty of tea and coffee and loud music. staff were friendly
had some good nights in the pub aswell

awesome hotel I can see my self come here again when I come to stoke

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Room had everything needed for an overnight stay. Linen and towels were clean but duvets and curtains could do with being replaced.There were a couple of bad bits like door was broken in and shabbily fixed, toilet cistern took forever to refill after flushing, corner of tv was broken, but still worked. But for £49.50 for a family room that was up graded to 2 twin rooms at no extra cost I can't complain. If you want everything perfect don't expect it at their prices, book somewhere more expensive.

Room Tip: If you want perfection choose don't choose a low price hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 April 2014

I had a 3 day stay in Stoke for work and as self employed I book where I want; the Plough was a well priced room with all the basic requirements catered for.

The only down side was a few sneaky places had let the dust fairies have a bit if a ball but even that wasn't bad (well, unless you are a dust fairy!!)

Not the poshest frock on the rail but hey, who cares? It's what's under the frock that counts? And that was a comfy room, helpful staff and an ideal location for my work requirements!

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Well I came for a bed and a tv and I got a wild ride instead. I wanted to embrace the full on stoke experience during my three night stay and I got what I paid for at 30 pound a night. Arrived early to be greeted by a local lad who called me a duck and a shug and thrust a key in my hand after handing over all my details including national insurance number and bank details and waist size. As I got to my room which was nowhere near where reception said it was, thankfully didn't walk in on anyone. As I turned the key I was blown away by the time warp I'd just walked through I'd walked into the 1930s room. In the darkness the impression was bad then I turned on the light to find a splattering of red on the wall, a tv made by Grundy and a wall alarm from the overlook hotel. The beds were even better just enough sink in the middle and enough lumps in it to make for great lumber support. The quilt for some reason had ketchup on it and I daren't steal the luxury bar of soap that was on offer. The taps had no teeth on them so had to use a towel to turn it on. Walls were paper thin so could hear the rodeo next door too which heightened my stoke experience further. Great access to the m6 though and not too far from town, breakfast was as it said on the menu "breakfast" was hoping to see Phil Taylor and Robbie Williams but I got a night full of grunting and the best stoke experience ever. If you come to stoke stay at the plough. You'll come for the value but leave with a smile.

Room Tip: Great access to the m6 to escape
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
7  Thank Brian H
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Being an avid Stoke City fan [yes, i know lol] found this motel just what i require for an evening game, as the last train from SOT to my home leaves at 19.07hrs, not good when the match finishes around 21.30hrs,
This motel is approx half way from the station and the Britannia Stadium
For £28 , i found it excellent, easy check in, room was clean & tidy, TV, bathroom,coffee/tea available also.
Staff were friendly, bitter/windy night, so having a warm room after the match was great !!
Never had time for breakfastt , but menu looked very good.
Will definitely use again for matches in evening, + would be ideal for visitors going to Alton Towers etc, or just needing a break [M6 close by]

Room Tip: All rooms are the same
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Just went in for breakfast,porridge was"nt on menu however staff made some for me and very good it was to.Thanks again for excellent service.Took the opportunity to look around and was very impressed with the location,cleanliness and value for money.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank 391michael
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stoke-on-Trent
Holiday Inn Express Stoke-on-Trent
2 mi away
Borough Arms Hotel
Borough Arms Hotel
#2 of 5 in Newcastle-under-Lyme

Been to Plough Motel? Share your experiences!