“The worst place we have ever been to!”

Best Western Stoke East
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Stoke-on-Trent
Longford, Ireland
“The worst place we have ever been to!”
Reviewed 4 November 2013 via mobile

We went as a group of 4. The assistant manager (guy with badly trimmed grey mustache) is racist! He was rude, and extremely ignorant! He was giving us unpleasant looks the minute we walked in. Even after we placed our order which was over £35 he kept looking over!
We ordered 4 meals all were awful!
My meal was bangers and mash, with veg, the mash was cold and frozen in some places I had one bite and spat it out! The sausages were beyond disgusting, very cheap poor quality meat, had one bite. I asked for sweetcorn instead of peas, but of course they gave me peas! Sent it back and 10 minutes later they came out with a corn on the cob which had little flavour!
I ordered a vodka and coke, the glass came less then half full! The coke was flat! I sent it back and they brought me another which was just as flat, I told them but they couldn't care less, there was no fizz at all! So I went across the road to tesco to get a cold fresh can of Pepsi! And of course when I bring it in and pour some in my flat drink the assistant manager comes and takes my can! I told him I got it because the coke is flat, he didn't even apologise or anything just took my can! He spoke to us loudly at our table like we were naughty children in a classroom! My partner was fuming she had to leave and go outside to calm down after his public display of humiliation!
The only positive thing I can say is one of the waitresses, Hayley, was nice and polite and tried to do everything she could to rectify all the issues, she doesn't deserve to be working in a poor establishment like this!
I have sent this genuine review to the hungry horse head office for them to look into!

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Carolamacnerney

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Czech first
Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

I went to the weathervane for 3 nights during probably one of their busiest times of the year.

Firstly the welcome and staff and fantastic, nothing was too much for them. Friendly, efficient and knew how to help - just what you need.

The room was a 'value' room. Yes, they are quite dated (bathroom tiles look like they are from the 70's) - but I wasn't going there to stay in my room for the stay so it was fine for my 'value' needs (ie. Cheap room to sleep in). It was clean and everything worked. Not sure why they have alarm clocks in there which also look like they date from the 80's but hey, ho!

My only problem was that the walls are thin... and you can hear any bang, crash, snore from the next door rooms - again, if your a heavy sleeper its not a problem in my view.

Whilst meals were not on menu the food in the Hungry Horse was great value and I would recommend!

Thanks for a good stay - although as I said it was mainly just a bed to sleep on while I spent most of my days at Alton Towers riding rollercoasters.

Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 October 2013

After going to Alton towers for the day, a clean warm room was much needed.
Although we were late for our check in, they allowed us to still stay and we're very welcoming.
All the staff were friendly and made our stay wonderful.
The rooms were basic but clean and comfortable, and the hot shower was definitely appreciated.
Over all a brilliant stay and a total bargain.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Uttoxeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 October 2013

We called in to the Weathervane hotel to din for breakfast on our way to Hanley. We chose from a very good Breakfast , We had a 1 all day breakfast along with 1 regular breakfast and was very surprised at the value for the amount of food serviced. All local food Freshly cooked and did not have to wait very long. The staff were very friendly and most helpful. We will be back and can recommend the Weathervane for a good home cooked breakfast.

Room Tip: Only used the restaurant for breakfast..
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 October 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Weather Vane for one night in order to have two days at Alton Towers, and avoid the ridiculously extortionate prices charged at the Alton Towers hotel (which was where the rest of our family had saved up to stay - and which turned out to be a disappointing let-down). The hotel is about a 20-minute drive from Alton Towers, and the cheapest option in the area by far. Because it was so much cheaper than everywhere else I had lowered my expectations accordingly, but I was very pleasantly surprised. It was clean, comfortable and had everything we needed for an overnight stay - couldn't really have asked for more! We had a fantastic breakfast next door at The Hungry Horse too before we left the following morning.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Kaz022
Chester
Reviewed 26 October 2013

Stayed here with my 12 year old for 2 nights for our 3 day trip to Alton Towers; couldn't find anything closer.
I booked a double room with an extra bed; on arrival, the pleasant receptionist advised that they don't do pull out beds and we would have to share the double. Not the end of the world but it wasn't what we'd planned. We didn't check in until 9.45pm (as we didn't leave the park until 9.20) and were advised that reception closed at 10 and we wouldn't have been able to check in! Apparently it's in the small print.

The room was generally clean (sticky dressing table area, mouldy bathroom tiles, grimy bathroom floor); the armchair was threadbare, the bed was fresh and comfortable though. There was after all a couch bed in the room, so I asked for linen to make it up for my son; unfortunately there were no extra quilts or pillows available that night?

Neither of us slept very much anyway as there were people running up and down the corridor shouting, doors banging, singing and partying going on for the most of the night.

Breakfast is provided in the adjoined hungry horse pub; the reception leads directly onto the separate bar area, not the restaurant. Not a problem at breakfast but not pleasant in the evening. Staff were far from attentive, and I disturbed their conversations trying to order. After being ignored a second time we decided to eat in MacDonalds across the road.

We returned for night 2 (ear plugs at the ready); and had to scramble through a number of '20 odd years olds' and staff smoking and drinking at the front door; it appears the smoking shelter is the hotel reception porch area, not very welcoming. Quite intimidating after dark for a single woman and child.

We were hungry and decided to go for dinner in the adjoining pub for ease. You have to walk through the pub in order to get to the restaurant, again a scramble through a rowdy pub, not pleasant with a child. We could have gone outside and walked around but that meant walking through the smokers and drinkers outside.

When someone finally served me, he got my order wrong and missed off a drink. Typical of the breakfast service, unhelpful and disinterested! The table was sticky and crockery and cutlery smeared and unclean. The food was served quickly as it was the typical micro meal (curry and rice). Unfortunately it was only warm and the naan bread soggy, ok what do you expect for £15.

There was an extra quilt and pillows in our room, but no sheets and the couch bed hadn't been made. We had another night of selfish idiots having fun at everyone else's expense. We left our room to find empty beer bottles in the corridor, some filled with liquid and put outside doors; left there to be knocked over here assume. Reception and the lobby/porch area were packed with drinkers and smokers, none polite enough to let us through.

Thankfully we weren't staying another night, although I'd have cancelled if we were. We are far from snobs and enjoy a good time; however, this hotel appears to be frequented and filled by young 'chavs' with no regard for anyone other than themselve. The hotel staff for not appear to discourage it.
We will not be returning or staying in another lodge of this type, lesson learnt.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank runforlifee

Travellers are raving about these Stoke-on-Trent hotels

Wales
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Wanted a cheap overnight stop. The best thing I can say is that the bedlinen was clean.
Otherwise, not very clean, marks on the walls, badly cracked washbasin, horrible electric air freshener stinking out the room, stains on the furniture and carpets, knob missing from bedside cabinet - sharp screw poking out!!! Glad no young children with us.
Put off from eating if this is the standard of cleanliness.
There must be better options out there.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!!!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stoke-on-Trent
Holiday Inn Express Stoke-on-Trent
Travelodge Stoke on Trent Trentham
Best Western Plus Stoke-On-Trent Moat House
Quality Hotel & Leisure Stoke on Trent
Travelodge Ashbourne Hotel
Stone House Hotel
Stone House Hotel
#2 of 5 in Stone

Been to Best Western Stoke East? Share your experiences!