“Not hot and spicy enough”
Review of Nirvana

Nirvana
Ranked #197 of 565 Restaurants in Stoke-on-Trent
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: We welcome you to Nirvana. We pride ourselves on creating a wonderful, friendly ambience and our setting is an elegant, subtle blend of the traditional with the contemporary. A perfect place, we hope, for you to enjoy first class cuisine. All our food is prepared using only the finest, freshest ingredients and the best quality produce while our years of experience ensure food of only the finest quality. Should you need any further information please contact us.
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I went with a group of 5 girls on a Friday night - I had the lamb green masala. When the waitress came over I asked if it would be hot and she said yes it would be like madras. I normally have vindaloo but I thought ok madras should be fairly hot. One of the girls asked for vindaloo and the other 3 had madras strength. Well I might as well have had a lobby! I'd be surprised if there was any spice in any of the curries at all. I simply cannot fathom out how an indian restaurant fail to give somebody a hot or even medium curry when that is what they have asked for. This isn't the first time I have been to nirvana and felt the same but thought ok we'll give it another go, obviously though this is the norm.

On the plus side the service was very good and the surroundings are lovely.

Unfortunately though this is not enough for me - I go for the taste, heat and spices and I could get more in a pub curry. It is a shame as it is a lovely restaurant.

2  Thank Suzanne L

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Went in the week for a meal its the first time I have been the staff were very friendly and the food was lovely very fresh they asked for starters and then the main meal did not have to wait long in between courses the decor is very modern would go there again

Reviewed 5 July 2014

Visited midweek for celebration meal. Service at the door was prompt and we were shown to our table- for two, but in a gloomy corner at the back of the restaurant. Menu was varied with lots of unfamiliar dishes. So, I was looking forward to some new tastes, but disappointed. Perhaps some of the previous reviews had led me to expect a better experience. The meals we ate were tasty but lacked a wow factor - not a great deal better than our regular Indian restaurant. In particular the Peshwari Nan; expected a fruity nan but it only contained desiccated coconut. Feel that this sums up our experience: average but not quite good. Will give it another try later in the year in case we went on an "off" night.

1  Thank Teaperson
Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

I came here last night with a large group of work colleagues. The service was good and staff are very friendly. Drinks were slow to come but it was good that all meals came out together. The food was nice but not the best that I've had. Wish the garlic naan was also bigger. I wouldn't rush back but I would go again with a group.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

We were staying at a hotel nearby and having seen the reviews on Tripadvisor we decided to book a Friday night table at Nirvana. We arrived by taxi and received a warm welcome and our first impressions were very favourable indeed. The place has obviously been expensively kitted out with an Oriental flavour and the tables are nicely spaced to enjoy sufficient privacy. We ordered a bottle of Pinot Grigio (£14.95) which was served nicely chilled and devoured popadoms with accompanying dips whilst perusing the menu. We declined starters and decided to share a Naga Chicken and a Lamb dish (can't remember which one) which was ordered Madras hot. We also had a chillie naan and a mushroom rice and everything was just to our taste - nicely spiced, plenty of sauce and tender succulent meat. A really enjoyable meal and we were pleased with our research. Definitely worth a return visit in future if we are in the area.