“Disappointed”
Review of The White Hart

The White Hart
Ranked #133 of 565 Restaurants in Stoke-on-Trent
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Description: Family run public house in the delightful village of Tean. Quality home cooked food, real ales and a log burner make it the perfect destination for all. We also have a function room with a bar, availability on request.
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

Stopped off here on way home from Lake District trip (found via this app). Sunday lunch menu was very limited (3 mains in total), but that optimistically made me think they'd be good. But they weren't! Veggie option was a tart, which was served cold! and somewhat stale/dry, with some veg cooked/reheated to oblivion. Served with gravy (on a cheese tart!?). Soups where edible, and beer was quite good. We'll find somewhere else for stop off next time.

4  Thank Burni_1966
Andrew D, Owner at The White Hart, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

We are very sorry and very surprised to see your comments. We are a small traditional village pub – so on Sundays we offer a ‘traditional Sunday menu’ which consists of 3 traditional roasts and 3 vegetarian options. It is a reduced menu compared to the rest of the week.
Both soups were vegetarian varieties and homemade as are all of our soups. Not packets or tins.
For the mains you ordered 2 leek stilton and mushroom tarts. I am reliably informed that you were given the option of hot or cold tart. You chose cold. At this point – we assumed that you were possibly vegetarians. So – I especially made you a jug of vegetarian gravy – which was for your vegetables.

As for your comments about the tart being stale and dry – I can assure you it was freshly made on Saturday evening in readiness for Sunday lunchtime by myself. It was most definitely not stale as you claim. I can only assume your palate is not used to fresh and quality ingredients such as cream, stilton, fresh vegetables and so on. The vegetables which accompanied your main course were potatoes, roasted potatoes carrots parsnips and green beans. All of which were fresh vegetables prepared by myself.

It seems strange to me that when the waitress asked you if all was well with your meal – you replied yes. I must point out – that if anyone is unhappy with their meal – we are always happy to replace it or refund it if we are made aware of any problem. But if you leave without saying about something which hasn’t pleased you – there’s not a lot we can do is there?

You then went on to eat all of the food you have just slated, leaving nothing for us to throw away.

It’s a shame that you chose to wield the keyboard instead of straightforward dialogue but I suppose that’s the nature of today’s society, no one knows how to communicate properly.

Reviewed 6 April 2014

This is quite a nice local pub and the local people were very friendly. However the same could not be said about the staff on this visit. It took a long wait to order food and drinks and then they got the drinks mixed up. No apology for such a long wait, in fact they were totally unaware of it. Food was okay but not particularly generous portions and as I have said quite small in size. I think with a little more focus on customer service it could be so much better. I think the landlord does the cooking so is probably not that aware of front of house service.

Andrew D, Owner at The White Hart, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2014

I know this is the same response as to Tony B, but I am assuming that you were together on this occasion. I'm sorry to hear of your experience. May I ask which night that you came in? I had a trainee on the bar on the Thursday and Saturday who didn't work out but I wasn't made aware of any major problems. Why did you not ask to see me? This would have been resolved at that point quite easily.

Small portions? What did you order? I am a chubby character and give people portions that I am happy about. When I came out of the kitchen and into the bar I had nothing but praise. I've never been accused of small portions before, quotes from Saturday evening were that I was overfacing people.

Next time you visit please ask to see me first and on our menus we ask that people tell us if there is a problem.

Reviewed 6 April 2014

Nice village pub and the customers were friendly. Food was nice but small portions. On the evening that we visited the staff appeared in quite a confused state. It took over 20 minutes to get our food and drinks ordered. The girl spent ages at the till then had to ask someone to do it for her. Our drinks were wrong but no apology. Apart from that we had nice evening but I would not say the food was outstanding and the staff could have been friendlier and a little more customer focused. Perhaps because we were not locals.

1  Thank Tony B

Small portions? What did you order? I've never been accused of small portions before, quotes from Saturday evening were that I was overfacing people.

As for the locals comment, I'm not local either so don't get that one.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

We returned to the White Hart today, a pub that we love due to it`s fantastic landlord and staff and real pub atmosphere, after a disappointing xmas meal served by the chef at that time. However what a superb meal we had today courtesy of Martin the new chef. We have eaten in some starred restaurants but my starter of chicken fillet strips in bbq sauce served on a dressed salad was so light and delicious and my husbands garlic mushrooms were superb. Top that with 2 fantastic and elegantly presented Sunday roasts, polite but efficient staff and of course Andy the owner who always makes us feel so welcome and you have a winning combination. Well done and we can`t wait for the medieval banquet!!!

Reviewed 16 January 2014

Ate there this evening - new chefs first week - and a brilliant new menu. spoiled for choice.
Fast and friendly service. excellent value for money. Food presented very nicely and was piping hot. Excellent - ill be back!

1  Thank Maureen C