“Laughably bad” 1 of 5 bubbles

Horn and Trumpet
Ranked #159 of 531 Restaurants in Stoke-on-Trent
Cuisines: Bar, Pizza, British, Pub
Good for: Kids, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Cheap Eats, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Laughably bad”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

Waited nearly 50 minutes for our food to come. When we asked at the bar he said 'well food normally comes in 20 mins, they must have forgotten you' but could not offer any more advise. When it came the waitress did not have a clue what meals she was carrying. We had ordered steaks and a surf and turfs among other things. She asked who ordered the steak, and when I pointed out that it seemed to have scampi on it she shrugged and said 'it might have' but still gave it to the person who had ordered steak and not surf and turf. We had to swap all our food around after she left. The problem with employing young untrained staff with no customer service skills was all too apparent! 3 orders were wrong, the steaks which were ordered medium rare all came out BLACK. We had to ask for our sauces and still never even received one! When I asked why there was such bad service she said they struggle when they get a few orders in at the same time (is this not a defining feature of a restaurant!?) . Even stranger we were the only people in our part of the building! The coke was flat and watery, the pudding was miniscule and looked nothing like the picture...we gave up and just had a good laugh. Didn't even complain as there didn't seem to be anyone who had any authority although after wasting £30 on food I wish we had.

As you get greeted by swarms of local teenagers shouting as you go in I can only assume this is the clientele they cater for. Good luck with that...

• 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Helen J
jamie c, Manager at Horn and Trumpet, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
H I am very sorry you didn`t enjoy your`e meal last night if you had mentioned it at the time I would of hoped to of rectified it to your`e satistaction, in saying there were only untrained kids working when you were in last night i find rather strange as i was on last night with my senior supervisor and the waitress was in her twenties and having checked no one has any recolection of these problems and i don`t think anyone waited anywhere near 5o minutes for their food as we were not that busy and we had no wait on food,

“much improved restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

visited the horn & trumpet today the first time in a few months after stopped eating there due to the quality of food and service that had declined. today though i was pleasantly surprised the service was excellent a really pleasant young man served our meals to the table the lady behind the bar was very efficient and helpful. the food had improved no end piping hot and good quality an excellent menu to choose from and the golden greats menu at only £4.95 was a great lunch time treat. the place was quite busy for a monday and it seemed that all customers were satisfied with their food and drinks. they also now have speciality nights each day of the week at really good prices. i will be visiting again soon and i recommend the horn & trumpet if youre looking for a family pub/restaurant at reasonable prices in a very pleasant atmosphere both inside and the outer seating area.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
jamie c, General Manager at Horn and Trumpet, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Hi we are glad you enjoyed your recent visit, it is nice when people take the time to leave positive comments,
Warrnambool, Australia
“Awful customer service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

First and probably only time I will come here. I came here with my friend and her daughter for dinner/tea on a Saturday, so we expected it to be busy. When we ordered we weren't given an approximate time the food would take to come out , it took about an hour for the mains to come out. I know its only pub food but mine looked like it had just been slopped on the plate, gravy all over the sides of the plate, not very appealing , but I was starving . The food itself is ok, nothing more.

The dessert is what really ruined the experience , after umming and arring over whether to have one or not, I decided to order the cookie dough cheesecake which sounded amazing, so I went and paid and said to the server , 'I hope w don't have to wait the same amount of time for the desserts' to which he replied we wouldn't as they have caught up now. It took 20 minutes for someone to come over to me to tell me they had no cookie dough cheesecake left! without an apology which is just polite.

I went up to to the bar told them how unhappy I was with the service and said they couldn't go on treating customers so poorly making them wait 20 minutes for nothing especially with no apology, I was refunded my dessert and that was it.

Wetherspoons or even a hungry horse is a lot better in my opinion.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Talia16
jamie c, General Manager at Horn and Trumpet, responded to this review, 21 June 2014
Hi we are soryy that you didn`t enjoy your recent visit, unfortunately we can get very busy at peak times and there can be a wait.
Like any business we occassionaly run out of products, i apologise you were not told sooner but i do know that the assistaant manager did apologise to you when he refunded you the desserts
Cheshire
“Reasonably priced good pub grub”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

We have visited the Horn and Trumpet 3 times in the last few weeks and have been pleased with the quality of food and service we have received each time. The food is of good quality and well cooked and plenty of it, and reasonably priced. The staff are friendly and helpful. We will be visiting there again in the future

jamie c, Manager at Horn and Trumpet, responded to this review, 14 June 2014
Hi thanks for your positive comments, it`s very nice to hear that people think we are doing a good job
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Nice pub, good atmosphere, terrible food.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

I came for my Dad's birthday with my family. We always come here when we have kids with us because they can play outside. I ordered the 'steak and ale pie' in the light bites menu. The meat was so bad I couldn't eat any of it. It was just fat and gristle. I felt quite ill afterwards. The rest of the family had a dessert but I couldn't eat anything else. Please be careful when ordering pie's and meat in general from this pub. It could well ruin your day. The service was good and the pub has a good atmosphere.

• Visited May 2014