“Great building and idea”

The Church Bar and Restaurant
Ranked #125 of 565 Restaurants in Stoke-on-Trent
Price range: US$0 - US$30
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Went when it was the tarot reading was a great night out will be going again. Food was nice and love the chocolate lumpy bumpy!

Reviewed 8 June 2014

I rang up 3 weeks in advance to book a table for 20 people for my birthday on bank holiday Monday, they were quick to book my table, therefore I invited my family and friends who live quite a drive away from Stoke-on-Trent. I rang a week before my birthday to confirm my table, I spoke to one of the staff and they were able to confirm my reservation
Five days before my birthday the manager rang my phone and she said to my partner they had to cancel my reservation. I rang the manager soon after to talk to her, she was very rude to me, I asked her why she cancelled my reservation she said that she could not get the staff to open on the bank holiday. "I can't just magic the staff, I really dont know what you want me to do" She had 3 weeks to ring me back to let me know that they could not do my reservation.
It is absolutely disgraceful. She did not care about how I felt, nor did she apologise from being rude and horrible. I asked her why she even took my reservation, and her response was "It wasn't me that took it, it was one of my staff, I dont really know why they took the reservation"
It really upset me that I had 5 days to change all of my plans. Luckily I was able to make a reservation at a fantastic restaurant, where my fiancée proposed to me.

I would not recommend this restaurant to anyone, as the manager is very rude and talking to the manager was appalling.
I have told everyone I work with and know to not go or even bother with booking a table to this restaurant.

15  Thank esh_26
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Absolutely disgusted by the manager of this restaurant!! I phoned to book a table here and stated that I had a gormet card - she told me that they did not partake in this offer any longer. I went on to tell her that The Church was stated on the Gormet Society Site and therefore it was false advertising - however I would still like to book a table.
She telephoned me back half an hour later and told me that she would like to cancel my booking because of my attitude!!!!! I stated again that I was only pointing out that it was on the gormet website and that it should be removed. Again she said they did not partake in this offer and would like me to refrain from coming to the restaurant!! I was never rude once - just merely pointed a fact out!!
I will NEVER visit this restaurant again - what happened to customer service!!!

14  Thank MrsJackson999
Reviewed 31 May 2014

The management yet again let it down, very rude! The waiter got the wrong order, which we said was fine - he's only human! But the "lady" owner was very rude! Won't be going back and I used to love this place!

5  Thank Lisa L
Diane M, Owner at The Church Bar and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Yes our waiter did get your order wrong as a main course meal was omitted this was rectified within minutes , as you say mistakes can happen , your mistake was thinking that this entitled you to a FREE TWO COURSE MEAL how rude is that !

Reviewed 26 May 2014

We visited this restaurant on Friday evening as part of a party of 15 for our niece's 21st birthday celebrations. The food was very nice and very reasonably priced - worked out at £19 a head for a three course meal, some people having steak at that! Would recommend the pork belly which was melt in the mouth delicious and also the velvet cheesecake. The service was friendly and efficient. Afterwards some of us went to the bar downstairs which had some good old school music playing and again drinks were reasonably priced.
Areas for improvement would be overall ambience, lacked a bit of atmosphere, perhaps some dimmed lighting and low level music playing in restaurant would help, and better quality flowers would be an improvement on the yellow chrysanthemum which adorned the tables. The toilets could also do with a mini makeover.