“Valentines day stay”

Best Western Parkmore Hotel
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Hotel staff friendly when we checked in, room was average a little tired and needs upgrading,had the basics.
Went down to use leisure facility's, staff were ok I thought,wife thought they could have been a little friendlier.
Facility's were average,changing rooms in need of modernisation and some lockers. Hydro pool was very good and relaxing.
So was a little unsure about the start of our day.
Up graded to the restaurant 3 course valentines dinner. Compliments to the chef for a varied menu and outstanding food and presentation, made it a lovely evening.restaurant staff helpful and good.
Unfortunate the room was noisy all night we had a vent outside working all night,very poor sleep in room 123.
Breakfast was good.
Don't think overall it was value for money.

Room Tip: Don't choose 123
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Peter F
ParkmoreManagement, Owner at Best Western Parkmore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

Thank you for your feedback, we appreciate all comments.

We are working on refurbishing the property, and it is a continual process. The Leisure Club had a large amount of new CYBEX equipment in September last year, and a make over, and this year we are hoping to re-do the changing rooms, and are assessing the situation at the moment.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your meal, as did everyone that evening.

There are newer reviews for Best Western Parkmore Hotel

Reviewed 1 February 2014

this is an average hotel.. for short business trip it's okay. room is okay but restaurant is just an average very few food are available. but swimming pool is good. location and area is good. our breakfast was not a good experience...

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ghoshp
ParkmoreManagement, Owner at Best Western Parkmore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2014

Thank you for your feedback. All feedback is greatly appreciated.

We are sorry that you did not find enough food to your liking in the Restaurant. We do have an extensive menu, and bar menu along with daily specials.

We are pleased you enjoyed the leisure facilities during your time with us.

Reviewed 30 January 2014

At £107 for room and breakfast this hotel is expensive, when you consider it looks and feels like a below average 3 star. Decor is outdated, particularly in the rooms, and the design of the hotel results in a maze of corridors and odd, uninviting rooms. Receptionist on the day I checked in behaved as though I was an inconvenience to her day that had to be tolerated. Bar is often unstaffed, meaning you have to wait a long time to get a drink. Breakfast was ok, but food quality was poor.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
ParkmoreManagement, Owner at Best Western Parkmore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2014

Thank you for your feedback. We're disappointed that you didn't enjoy your stay with us.

Some might say that the meandering corridors and the fact that nearly all the bedrooms are different shapes and sizes adds to the charm of the place! Unfortunately there is nothing we can do about that - it is the nature of the building! We have however been working on refurbishing the Hotel - and Leisure Club, and it has been upgraded dramatically since we took over I can assure you.

We were surprised about your comments regarding the food - our kitchen brigade have high standards, and take much pride in sending out top quality dishes!

I will look into the fact your welcome to the Hotel was not to our normal standard - we pride ourselves on our staff, their friendliness and standards of service. I apologise that it was not what should have been expected.

We hope that you return to the Hotel again, and you will enjoy your next visit.

Reviewed 23 January 2014

This hotel is an absolute gem, first class service coupled with friendly efficient staff. Everyone at the Parkmore made us feel welcome and special during our recent stay; nothing was too much trouble. I make many business trips to the Middle East each year and stay in quality accomodation, I always find myself comparing the service I receive in overseas hotels to that in the UK and unfortunately we Brits just don't come up to scratch most of the time - not so at the Parkmore. Everything you could want in a quallity hotel is there to enjoy, from the delights of the restaurant to the amazing pool, spar and leisure facilities. I would certainly have no hesitation in recommending this hotel for business or pleasure. I can't wait for another relaxing stay with my wife and daughter.

Room Tip: Ask to see the suite with the four poster bed, tastefully redecorated by the owners this suite is in...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
ParkmoreManagement, Owner at Best Western Parkmore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2014

Thank you very much for your feedback, it is really great to know that the Hotel, and the staff are going in the right direction, and that it is appreciated by our guests….

We pride ourselves on our staff, and their warm, friendly and excellent service. The food served in our restaurant, bar and functions is first class, and the refurbishment of the property is coming along - although it's bit like the forth road bridge - by the time you finish, it's time to start at the beginning again! But, we are getting there!

Reviewed 21 January 2014

Having read all the reviews and considering myself fair I travelled to this hotel on business not really knowing what to expect. I think many here are expecting a four star experience - a trap which I was careful not to fall into. Now, I've stayed in some complete dives in my time and I was pleased to say that this most certainly does not fall into that category. Rooms are clean, beds are comfortable. Decor in the corridors needs improving and the rooms are borderline needing refurbishing. Bathroom clean, with good size bath (rare these days). Can't say the location next to the railway is ideal with the obvious consequences.

Customer service was excellent at the desk; my complaints, and I did have some, were dealt with immediately and to my satisfaction.

In the restaurant in the morning the single waitress could have done with another hand as she was rushed off her feet. Despite this, breakfast was promptly served. I have to say dinner was exceptionally tasty (an interesting menu, punching above the weight of the place) and perhaps the saving grace that made a just under average experience just break par.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
ParkmoreManagement, Owner at Best Western Parkmore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2014

Thank you for your feedback.

We are undergoing a refurbishment programme, but it is a slow and continual thing to do, however we're happy to say we are getting there…. we only have 12 rooms left to go out of the 55, and we are aware that the corridors need doing as well, but the priority is the bedrooms…..

We are glad you enjoyed the food, we have an excellent team of Chefs who are really passionate about the dishes they create & serve.

Unfortunately there is nothing we can do about the train line!

We hope you will be coming back again soon, and will be able to see the difference staying in a new room.

Reviewed 10 January 2014

First thing's first. The service staff were impeccable on the night despite it being busy. They were cheery and attentive!

Onto the bad: The food was a massive let down. Although credit where it's due the chef has a good eye for presenting the food, I just wish his palate matched his eye. As someone who's owned a few restaurants in the past and just some one who likes to eat in general (insert fat joke) I feel I am pretty well qualified to tell what good food should taste like. Anyway.

The first course was "Poppy seed crusted Tuna carpaccio with wasabi mayonnaise and red baby pak choi". Sounds super tasty and well put together. What I was served however was 5 wafer thin slices of Tuna that was past it's best, (I imagine it was brought in, in frozen steak form and left to defrost at room temperature. Tuna should always be kept on ice if it's to be eaten rare or raw - any one who has had some bad sushi knows the smell and taste of bad fish) a handful of baby watercress (I seriously hope the chef actually knows the difference and he just ran out of the pak choi because of an accident rather than poor planning), a slice of lime, and some admittedly pretty good wasabi mayonnaise.

The next course was a palate cleansing "booze" on the beach sorbet. Or at least it would have been (it actually tasted pretty good if not boozey) had it not been so frozen that it bent my spoon trying to dig into it, so I mixed it with my drink. Happy days.

The main event, the one I'd been looking forward to. A Chargrilled 8oz Rib-eye steak, Country Mash Potatoes, peppered whisky cream and sauteed asparagus. It would have been nice to have been asked how I wanted my steak cooking but normally that's impossible at this type of event so I didn't expect it. What I also didn't expect was the quality of the meat to be of such a poor standard. I've eaten enough rib eye steaks in my life (in fact it's my favorite cut of meat) to know what one tastes like and what one looks like (it's pretty easy to spot because of where it's from...). The sauce was passable even though it tasted suspiciously like Knorr Au Poivre and the asparagus was pretty good. With it being country mash I didn't know what to expect - skin on potatoes would have been novel for an example. Whether it's just my ignorance though, what it happened to be was the lumpiest mash I've ever had with a flavour and texture akin to a school lunch.

Dessert was a Lemon meringue poset with vanilla shortcake biscuits. The lemon was sharp just how I like it but the texture is best described as a poor attempt at making angel delight, the weird thing was despite the sharpness of the lemon flavour it went down greasy and it felt like it left a slime trail down the back of throat. The meringue was obviously prepacked. The short... bread (not cake for future reference...) was pretty good and would have gone really well with a good coffee. (My girlfriend took the option of the strawberry tart with white chocolate sauce and while the pastry was good, the sauce simply tasted like cream and the filling was very much like artificial strawberry mousse).

Anyway, I was so disappointed with the management of the establishment. Our party and the rest of the party goers were walked past the fancy new restaurant and we're squirreled away out back. I discussed this with the restaurant manager and he said it was a first come first serve type thing and the room we were in had the dance floor. All valid points and no more was said on the matter.

However discussing with others in the smoking area about the food we learned that the owner was in there with his managers and friends etc. Whether this is true is beyond my knowledge however the owner should have been sat in the same room as the paying customers or should have switched them so everyone could have a better experience.

I actually asked to speak to the owner 3 times to discuss my concerns about the food in the above manner but to no avail. I was advised that he'd had a "skin full" and to complete a comment card... a comment card... A COMMENT CARD at an event that the owner himself was at but couldn't be bothered to deal with his PAYING customers concerns. So I filled out the comment card in, and I'm not going to lie, quite an inflammatory way to make sure I got some attention. The word abortion was used and needless to say it finally garnered a response.

I was stood outside having a fake cigarette with my girlfriend and some guy handed me £100 and called me an "swear word" idiot before storming off and telling me I was no longer welcome. Perhaps discussing my concerns would have been a better, much more professional approach but fair enough, the comments made were supposed to get his attention and my money back (feel free to post it guys!) Anyway, we went home, put on jules holland, danced with each other and brought in the new year together..

Anyway TL;DR, Staff attentive and chirpy, chef is obviously passionate but cut the wrong corners in serving 160 people (baby red pak choi =/= watercress). The experience was so laughable and poorly handled I expected jeremy beadle to jump out. The extra star is for the service staff only.

As a final note, I wouldn't eat here until they get a sous and commis chef, but meeting the owner and the head chef (who said I knew nothing...) I can see why they're looking for talent. If it was just you in the kitchen chef then bravo I doubt I could cook for 160 people with no support but I assume you did have cooks and other kitchen staff and if this is the case there's no excuse. There's also no excuse for the lack of attention to detail and not asking if people are alright with the changes to the menu... you know 'cause of allergies and the such.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank James G
ParkmoreManagement, Owner at Best Western Parkmore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

For anyone who reads this review, this gentleman was asked to leave the premises by the management, and his parents agreed with us (they remained to enjoy the rest of the night) - due to his vile and abusive comments made regarding the night. They told him off, and packed him off home, before they apologised for his behaviour, and comments - they were mortified, and agreed that he was 100% out of order! As he is here.

Our lawyers will be in touch regarding these lies, and the slanderous comments made.

Reviewed 31 December 2013

A very tired hotel. On opening the door the bedroom smelled stale and musty, had to sleep with the window open. The door in the bathroom was dirty, there were stray hairs in the bath. The bed and pillows were beyond description.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Nic H
ParkmoreManagement, Owner at Best Western Parkmore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2014

Thank you for your comments, we're sorry that you were disappointed with your stay with us.

If you had mentioned your comments/concerns when you went to your room, it may have been possible to re-locate you to another room for the duration of your stay. I can however assure you that the nearly all of our mattresses are all under a year old and in exceptionally good condition, as are our pillows.

Your comments with regards to the cleanliness will be addressed with the Housekeeper, and re-training will be given where required, to ensure our normal, high standards of cleanliness are met at ALL times.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Stockton-on-Tees
Claireville Hotel
Claireville Hotel
#7 of 9 in Stockton-on-Tees
Wynyard Hall
Wynyard Hall
#1 of 1 in Billingham
Premier Inn Stockton-On-Tees West Hotel
Premier Inn Stockton-On-Tees Wes...
#4 of 9 in Stockton-on-Tees
#2 of 9 in Stockton-on-Tees
Crathorne Hall Hotel
Crathorne Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Crathorne

Been to Best Western Parkmore Hotel? Share your experiences!