“Great hotel in excellent location”

Premier Inn Stockton-On-Tees/Middlesbrough Hotel
uk
“Great hotel in excellent location”
Reviewed 4 March 2013

We stayed here with other members of the family across four rooms, 10 guests in total. We were visiting family for a birthday celebration a few miles away.
The hotel was the same expected standard of other Premier hotels that we have visited, rooms were very clean and well equipped with coffee making facilities and hair dryer. The room was warm, comfortable and very quiet. The meal deal for breakfast and evening meal was very good value. Staff were very friendly and gave us lots of info on nearby places.
The location was excellent overlooking the recently contsructed Tees Bararge, the white water rafting centre. The whole area was grassalnd with a series of paths winding around the site, great for walking around. Watching the external activities of the kyaking was very good.

Room Tip: Even numbered rooms overlook the grassed areas and rafting centre, odd ones tend to look over the ac...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank foxtraveller

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 February 2013 via mobile

The hotel is situated in a quiet location that is easily accessed. Clean rooms and friendly staff. The only small issue I had was that when people walked past my room I felt they were in the room, I could hear every word they said and footstep outside the door but it wasn't like it went on through the night so not to bad. A possible improvement would be to the heating. When changing it it converts back to the automatic temperature which wasn't warm enough for me when getting in the room. I would use the hotel again.

• Stayed February 2013
Knaresborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 February 2013

Visit Jan 12/1/13 Party of 4

This was my 2nd visit to this PI. I booked it to stay after for an overnight rally event and was able to get it for £39 a room. I could have had it at £29 but needed flexibility if the event was postponed.

As usual reception staff friendly and efficient, room clean and comfortable. However I wanted to book a table at the restaurant for an early tea as our event would finish too late to find anywhere to eat. I rang the hotel direct 2 days before to book for 4 and the receptionist tried to put me through to the restaurant but on-one answered. The receptionist took the details and said she would make sure a booking was made. The morning of the visit I received the usual text message with sat nav details and also asking if I wanted to book a table on the evening. A little surprised I thought it would be better to have 2 bookings rather than none so I made another booking via my mobile and had it confirmed with booking reference and everything. I thought great system!!!! WELL NO NOT REALLY. When we got to the restaurant there was no booking made. The waiter dismissed it saying "it's not a problem we have plenty of room" which really wasn't the point. What had happened if they were full. We didn't have time after travelling to go elsewhere before our event and we couldn't eat after.

I have to say the meal was mediocre and slow in coming. We had a window seat and amused ourselves for 3/4 minutes by watching a (well fed) brown rat dodging from the outside of the hotel foyer and running under the bicycle stores butted up to restaurant wall). Service was not very good 3 meals arriving and one not, we also had to ask for a side order which didn't arrive with the meal and we had to ask twice for our drinks. This was when they were NOT busy.

We had to hurry our meal and on returning to PI reception I mentioned the problem with the booking. Receptionist asked when and approximately what time I rang and said she would look into it. She agreed with me that the fact the restaurant not being busy anyway should be an answer. Never heard what happened.

We didn't book breakfast waiting to see what time we had before leaving. However, as it was Sunday and nowhere else open, we did have the cooked breakfast. Again it was mediocre the, sausages tasted like herby bread rather sausage and it arrived while we were still eating our cereal so had to go back. I had asked for soft eggs (can't stand hard yolks) and they were hard, probably due to having to go back under the heat lamp.

As i have a serious dairy allergy I have to have soya milk. PI reception always say no problem just go over to the restaurant and get some and in the past I have always done this. Sometimes it can take 10 or more just to get some milk. (In December whilst staying at Caerphilly I had to wait for someone to go to the shop to get some - at least they did, thank you folks, but I was waiting to be somewhere.) So this time I took my own and reception let me keep it in their fridge. It was much simpler especially having 24hrs reception even if I did have to run down to reception in my jimjams and jacket). It also annoys me that at every PI tea and coffee facilities do not include the sticks of Decaff coffee and they have to be asked for at reception or sometimes (again) the restaurant, occasonally neither having any. I now keep a stock in my travel bag (as I'm not allowed caffeine).

Apart from the coffee and milk I can't fault PI. Their cleanliness, efficiency (usually) and comfort are hard to beat, and if you can get the supersaver prices - totally amazing - but it seems their restaurants often let them down, hence the 3 stars. PI alone would have got 4.5. Would I go again, yes but only if I had time to find somewhere else to eat (now where's the nearest McDonalds.......?) (PS the everyday all you can eat carvery at the Eating Inn restaurant at Caerphilly PI is truly amazing at £4.75).

I hope this helps travellers (as it has certainly helped me having a bit of a rant!!)

Room Tip: I had a ground floor room R/H/S of the corridor from reception and it was extremely quiet. My daught...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
uk, north east
Reviewed 1 February 2013 via mobile

Lovely welcome at the reception I can't remember the guys name but he was so nice n helpful, room was lovely, clean n tidy, bed was VERY comfy. First room iv stayed in in a hotel where you can chose to turn your heating up yourself. Brilliant value, much better than a travel lodge their beds are AWFUL!

• Stayed January 2013
Salford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 January 2013

The room prices go up and down throughout the week depending on events in the area. This is a disgrace, set a room tariff and stick to it. I don't like having to work away from home but my job takes me away and I just have to get on with it. I really like the rooms at Premier Inn, the layout is superb, the bathrooms are smart and practical, great television with free view, and tea and coffee facilities. The staff are always pleasant and well mannered. The only fault is the room prices. Why is it £76 on a Monday and Wednesday and £90 on a Tuesday and Thursday, I just can't get my head around it. It smacks of pure greed.

Room Tip: All great rooms
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Cornwall
Reviewed 27 January 2013

Another business trip another Premier Inn in which to rest my head. The first impression of this place was the lack of signage to locate the carpark as it's park of some watersports complex whose carpark is right next to the hotels.

Once I got parked up check in was smooth as ever and I was allocated room 25 on the ground floor which was like any other PI room although I'm still surprised they have rooms with the small TV's on the desks rather than the wall mounted larger screens. The bathroom appeared ok but the shower was shockingly weak and the head set so low I had to stoop to wash my hair and I'm only 5'11"!

My major gripe for the room though was the WIFI which I'd paid for as ever and the fact I couldn't pick it up in the room. When I walked outside the room door around three paces back towards reception it picked up full signal. I mentioned this on my way to dinner to the receptionist who said she'd had another guest a few nights before in room 27 who'd had the same problem so I suggest they need to invest in a signal booster or similar? To be fair to the receptionist she did offer another room but as I was only staying for one night I didn't bother.

The food at the pub next door was the usual fare and not bad quality at all although I always seem to come away smelling of the cooking which appears to be the Beefeater way.

Breakfast and check out were fine although when there's snow on the ground please spend a few quid on grit for the carpark as it was like an ice rink heading out in the morning. I'd probably stay again at a push although it wouldn't be top of my list.

Room Tip: If you need WIFI make sure your room can receive it before settling in for the night
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Whitehaven, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 January 2013

The hotel is spotless and as usual all premier inn amenities coffee,tea making facilities hair drier etc,loads of hot water and nice comfortable beds. Staff here are always cheerful,I stayed one night18 jan with my partner,daughter and two granddaughters,we had two family rooms,mine had a double bed and the other had double and two singles made up for the kids. We always get a family room as there is more room in them.The hotel is easy enough to find and is close to a shopping centre and cinema and bowling,McDonald's is also a short drive away handy to know if you've got kids.i have already booked to go back next weekend as we are getting the rooms at 19 pound each ,join the premier inn website and they will email you with all offers they have,worth doing we've saved a fortune.the restraunt next door is okay but my partner had asked for a well done steak and sent it back twice as it was raw,but they didnt charge him for it,the breakfasts are awesome though and kids eat for free under 16 s,plus keep your receipt and join up online and answer a quick survey and you receive a voucher for 50 percent off your next meal or a free bottle of wine.definately worth the money will be back over and over.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stockton-on-Tees
Premier Inn Stockton-On-Tees West Hotel
Premier Inn Stockton-On-Tees Wes...
#3 of 8 in Stockton-on-Tees
Premier Inn Stockton on Tees/Hartlepool Hotel
Premier Inn Stockton on Tees/Har...
#1 of 8 in Stockton-on-Tees
#7 of 8 in Stockton-on-Tees
Jurys Inn Middlesbrough
Jurys Inn Middlesbrough
#4 of 11 in Middlesbrough

Been to Premier Inn Stockton-On-Tees/Middlesbrough Hotel? Share your experiences!