“Great Hospitality” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Vane Arms

Vane Arms
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Stockton-on-Tees
Vane Arms
Lymington, United Kingdom
“Great Hospitality”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

We had heard good things about the Vane Arms, and it met all expectations. Hosts Jill & Paul have created a very welcoming environment where nothing is too much trouble. Good selection of beers in the bar, great conversation, and a dining room which challenges the decor and comfortable ambience of top restaurants. Also, a superb garden. It is simply a lovely place to be, and both the menu and service are excellent - high quality food, home-cooked or locally-sourced. Our ensuite room was spotless and ticked all boxes. No question that we will return on our next visit to the NE!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Canterbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2014

Having booked the Vane Arms on a recommendation it came with high expectations which were not only met but exceeded!
Paul and Jill could not have been more helpful to a new comer to the area, they knew the local area like the back of their hands and were totally knowledgable in all aspects.
The room was spectacularly presented - Egyptian cotton towels, duck down duvets and some amazing wall paper!

Dinner and breakfast was spectacular and I have booked to stay again on my next trip to the NE!

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Selinarussell
Essex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

I stayed here for two nights in February half-term whilst making a surprise visit to some friends in Teesside. I had telephoned Jill to ask about the accommodation and she was brilliant about it - very matter of fact and helpful. On arrival, Paul picked me up from the station and once I saw the place and the room, I was instantly delighted that I had chosen to book it instead of the usual Premier Inn, etc. The whole place is beautifully refurbished and has lovely views out the back. There was a lovely atmosphere and I was made to feel really welcome and at home.
I had dinner with a friend that evening and the steak was the yummiest I have tasted in a long time! There was a 10% discount on the meal for residents and a very reasonable set meal menu if you wanted it (we opted for that and thoroughly enjoyed it - portion sizes were good).
All in all, you can't fault the Vane Arms and I would congratulate Paul and Jill for making it such a success. I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Just talk to Jill about your preferences and she will match your requirements. I had room 4 which ha...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Exeter, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights in August 2013, our hosts Paul and Jill.made our stay a home from home, delightful room, fantastic breakfast and wonderful ale..........would highly recommend this traditional pub/restaurant.

Room Tip: Let Jill and Paul select for you! they did for us and it was perfect.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Aachen, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2013

Let's keep it simple: the Vane Arms offers just a whole lot more than you could expect staying at a B&B or Inn in that particular price range.
We felt a warm welcome from Jill and Paul who encouraged us to ask if we would need any additional help. Rooms are nice & freshly renovated and with some nice details. The restaurant happened to be one of the best Pub/Inn restaurants we had the pleasure to visit during our latest round trip in Northern England :) ... very good and modern food yet still keeping the character of being homemade. You will find all you would need in this B&B : a beer garden with a nice panoramic view, a couple of DVDs if the rain stops you from staying in the beer garden and even the offer from Jill and Paul to give you a short lift if you need any :)
We felt at home at The Vane Arms - it will be our first choice whenever we are back to the greater teeside area. Say meow to the neighbours' cat from Andrea & Michael

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2013

I can not really fault the rooms in this B&B, they are very modern, clean & nice.
Check in time 4.30-5 we had to hang out in the other pub in the village (which is very nice, friendly & serves great food) while waiting to check in.
Check out 10.30-11, this is in line with most places.
The biggest negative to this place I found was the hospitality, I felt very uncomfortable to the point that I would never stay here again or feel like I could recommend this place which is a shame because the rooms are nice.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Eve100107
ecs5683, General Manager at Vane Arms, responded to this review, 5 October 2016
Hello Eve,

I'm sorry you have previously stayed here and had a bad experience. My partner and I have taken over ownership of the business since your stay and made a number of changes (including check in times). I would love the opportunity to make up for your unsatisfactory visit, if you would like to consider staying here again or coming for a meal in our refurbished restaurant, please contact me directly on 01642 580401 or thevaneatlongnewton@gmail.com .

Best wishes,

Emily
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2013

Having stayed at the Vane Arms I feel compelled to write a review as I have been impressed on each of the occasions I have visited this charming local hotel in the North East.

I travel on business and found this hotel to be an ideal home away from home and a much more enjoyable location to stay a few nights rather than checking in to say the Premier Inn. What you get here is consistent warming hospitality from not only Jill & Paul (Proprietors) but I’ve found all staff very pleasant at all times. Let’s not limit this location for business either; after my experience(s) I would also recommend this if in the area for either a romantic break with your better half or with the family.

The rooms are very comfortable and fulfil any requirements that you would normally expect when booking a hotel, the beds are of a high quality so you shouldn’t have any trouble having a pleasant sleep and that is coming from someone who rarely sleeps! The restaurant also offers a wide range of cuisine and some of the dishes have been outstanding and this has impressed me. I am working my way through the menu as it is likely that I will be staying for a few weeks to come due to work commitments but so far I have not been disappointed on any occasion and this is fantastic as there is no need to go elsewhere for a meal. Similarly the breakfast is again of a very high standard and I am growing fond of the smoked salmon with scrambled eggs…

Overall I cannot recommend this little hotel enough, if you are lucky to get a room that is… there are 4 so make sure you book early to avoid disappointment!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business