“This establishment needs a lot of improvement!”

and 1 more site!
Metro Inns Teesside
Reviewed 29 January 2013

When booking this hotel I didn't expect much for the price that I paid, a clean and fresh room, comfortable bed and ample facilities would have sufficed but this was not the case as my photos do tell.
Upon arrival at the hotel after hours (upon which I do commend the company for allowing this prior to booking), I was welcomed begrudgingly by the receptionist who checked me in speedily. Upon entering the room I immediately found issues, I find it difficult to understand that when painting a room why nothing was removed or covered i.e. kettle, mirror etc and this still baffles me, as you would at home, so why not in a hotel? where customer satisfaction is paramount. The bed that is shown in their pictures was unlike the one I had which was a futon mattress upon a hardboard base thick with dirt. As the room had no heating when I initially entered, by the morning the room was of ample temperature which was great if you want to spend the whole night cold, which I did not but had too.
Please seriously consider whether you want to stay here, surely it worth spending that little extra (in my opinion I will from now on!!)
The room in question was 109.

Room Tip: Room 109 was an issue.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 27 January 2013 via mobile

Rooms are very clean with t v in rooms an tea making facility's really good value for money however your not made very welcome on arrival staff are very unpleasant management should pick up on this an gave extra training I notice I am not the only one who as commented on the bad attitude of staff. As for location we wher charged £7.50 into middlesbourgh an £10 back in a taxi so if this is wher you intend to go its properly cheaper booking in a hotel in middlesbourgh

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Iceycold
MetroTeesside, General Manager at Metro Inns Teesside, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2013

Dear Reviewer,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay.

I am glad that you stayed with us again, even though your previous review (from March 2012) suggested you would not. Also it is nice to hear that you find the room cleanliness have improved since your last stay.

I am sorry to hear that you not felt welcomed. I have addressed the problem with all reception staff – I suppose you meant them – and most of them are already undergoing customer service training.

I would like to underline that the taxi charges are completely out of our hands. Charges change according to the time of you travel – after midnight most taxi companies charge more. There is a bus stop thought and it is just a 5 minute walk from the hotel. Buses run to/from Middlesbrough every 30 minutes between 7AM – 9PM and it costs considerably less than a taxi.

Reviewed 28 December 2012

As the review states it's very cheap and cheerful. Having said that the hotel has undergone an overhaul since the last time I stopped there. The double room I booked a nice comfy bed and a 42" plasma TV on the wall. A lot better than the thin mattress and tiny Tv of old. The wifi internet used to be on a timer. This time it was unlimited. I will return. It's a bit out of the way but that wasn;t a problem as I just got in my car if I wanted to go anywhere.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
MetroTeesside, General Manager at Metro Inns Teesside, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2013

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your positive review about your stay at Metro Inns Teesside.
I am happy to hear, that you have enjoyed your stay and you liked the improvements in the rooms.
I fully agree with you, that we are out of the way but unfortunately we can not change our location.

I am looking forward to welcome you again at our hotel.

Kind Regards

Katarina Mikusova

Reviewed 22 November 2012 via mobile

well it is what it is. cheap pretty clean and staff friendly. best bit is ( if ur a smoker ) u can smoke!! toilets were terrible but through poor manufacture rather than cleanliness. it is compact but for the price fine. had an issue with a light not working and was offered my choice of rooms to swap to immediately. communal area full of staff and their kids most of the time leaving no room for guests but i never wanted to spend time there and they were nice people. highly recommend for a budget traveller not expecting the ritz.

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed 31 October 2012

The Polish owner and staff were some of the rudest, greedy, impolite, useless hotel staff you will ever find! Garunteed!

After spending nearly £200 for a room which looked and smelt like a prison cell, you would think they would atleast try and smile and greet you as you arrive. I'm certain they didn't even say as much as a thank you, please, good night, or 'hello and welcome'.

I've seen better toilets at festivals, which haven't been cleaned in weeks! There was poo all over the toilet, which also looked like it hadn't been cleaned in ages. Right next to the shower where you are suppose to wash!

Also, when we went to leave I walked through the reception with all my bags struggling, to find 3 members of staff sat around the table. You would have though that seeing a customer struggling to open the door that they would offer to open it. Oh no! All they cared about was getting out money and carting us out of there as soon as possible.

The list goes on but I already wasted a week of my life in there and I'm not going to waste any more on this review!

In my opinion, it's by far the worst hotel I've ever stayed in and will certainly not be coming back. BEWARE!!!

If I had a choice I would rather sleep in my car next time.

• Stayed: October 2012
3  Thank Craig19888
Darren G, Regional Manager at Metro Inns Teesside, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2012

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

I am somewhat surprised that you have written the review you have without actually divulging to Trip Advisor the other aspects of your stay which are indeed questionable.

For the record Metro Inns Teesside is not owned by "Polish" it is a UK and Ireland based hotel chain.

I have spoken to our Managers who have advised me of some issues regarding your stay which I will not elaborate on here as this would of course be highly unprofessional.

However please be advised that in light of your comments and the issues we encountered with you and your other guest I will not be highlighting them on this third party site for the aggrieved.

Furthermore had your review contained more accurate information I would ofcourse dignified it with a response and I am not prepared to do this.

Yours

Reviewed 8 October 2012

My wife and I booked this Metro Inn in the middle of September, 2012, for a 3 night stay commencing 04/10/2012, but after later reading some of the reviews, we were very concerned that we may have made a grave mistake. WE NEED NOT HAVE WORRIED because the room was spotless, as were the toilets, shower rooms and corridors; the manageress was extremely friendly and helpful and the staff were equally so. The exterior of the entrance has a canopy under which there are several wooden tables with seating and when we arrived there were a couple of people having a drink and a smoke, which is absolutely OK as it was in an area designed for that purpose and did not impact unfavourably on our enjoyment of the establishment.
I strongly suspect that some of the bad reviews were written by people with a dislike for all foreigners and possibly as an avenue to achieving refunds.
We would definitely recommend this as a good whistle stop venue, which is what it was designed for.

Room Tip: We stayed in ground floor room at front of premises.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 September 2012

Just stayed my first of four nights here, read some of the reviews after work booked me here for four nights, the room is small but clean with a large TV and plenty room to hang and store cloths, the toiles and showers are shared cubicles but again are clean and the shower is very strong with no problems of hot water, the location isn't fantastic for anyone touring the area, it is situated in the middle of an industrial estate, my only problem was the amount of loud drunk polish sitting outside my window till midnight, but if I was in a room further to the back I wouldn't have a problem, if u are looking for a basic cheap inn then this place is value for money, I will update the review at the end of my stay.

• Stayed: September 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stockton-on-Tees
Holiday Inn Express Middlesbrough - Centre Square
Premier Inn Stockton-On-Tees/Middlesbrough Hotel
Premier Inn Stockton-On-Tees/Mid...
#3 of 9 in Stockton-on-Tees
Premier Inn Stockton on Tees/Hartlepool Hotel
Premier Inn Stockton on Tees/Har...
#1 of 9 in Stockton-on-Tees
Premier Inn Stockton-On-Tees West Hotel
Premier Inn Stockton-On-Tees Wes...
#4 of 9 in Stockton-on-Tees
Travelodge Sedgefield
Travelodge Sedgefield
#5 of 9 in Stockton-on-Tees
Wynyard Hall
Wynyard Hall
#1 of 1 in Billingham

Been to Metro Inns Teesside? Share your experiences!