“Birthday dinner was a hit”

Seafood & Grill Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Seafood & Grill Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 30 Restaurants in Aldeburgh
Price range: US$15 - US$64
Cuisines: Seafood, European, British
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Child-friendly, View
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: Bus stop on Fort Green car park.
Description: The Seafood & Grill restaurant is a wonderful place to relax and soak up panoramic views along the beach, whatever the time of year, though if you are lucky enough to visit during summer, you can take full advantage of the sea-facing al fresco terrace. It has a relaxed ambience and restaurant staff are slick and friendly. Menus at the restaurant at The Brudenell Hotel are full of seasonal produce, sourced from local suppliers. Head chef James Barber is responsible for creating the appealing modern European dishes on offer; his specialty is good honest food done well, like salt beef hash with a fried egg and sweet potato fries, or his own version of fish and chips. The extensive wine list offers the discerning drinker plenty of choice, and good value for money.
Hitchin, United Kingdom
“Birthday dinner was a hit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

I had booked the seafood grill as a surprise dinner for my partner on his birthday. The atmosphere was informal and relaxed but the service professional, despite the young age of most of the staff. We were welcomed, coats taken and a drink offered which we enjoyed in the lounge with a view of the sea. Orders were given and we were called through to our table - complete with the champagne ordered on line at the time of booking - once our starters were ready.
The food was excellent: I had two courses of very fresh seafood, my partner had pork which he said was delicious. As a final flourish, when I asked for the bill, they brought out a birthday plate of strawberries and chocolates with two of the waitresses singing happy birthday. One slightly embarrassed but rather pleased partner!

• Visited May 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Terrible experience, poorly managed!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

My husband and I are in our late forties, live within an hours drive and were considering booking a romantic weekend away for my birthday. We decided over the bank holiday in May to visit to see if it was as good as the reviews, to enjoy a meal and to book our room whilst there.
On arrival we found ourselves a table in the sun outside, studied the menu that was on the table and waited to attract the attention of a waiter. Two waiters had seen us but despite this we sat for about 20 minutes. Another couple came and sat at a table beside us and after a further 5 minutes, unbelievably and to our amazement the waiter went and took their order!!! He did then ask us if we wanted to place an order.
I asked for two decaf latte and two croissants with jam, we could not have the croissants as they had none left, which is fair enough and cannot be helped. I then requested 2 sausage baps instead and again was told I could not have these as it was 10.45 am? We settled for spiced tea cakes with jam and butter out of desperation.
On reading the menu again it clearly stated the sausage baps were available between 7am and noon, so why we couldn't have them I do not know.
After another 10 minutes our order arrived, I asked the waiter if the lattes were decaf as I have a heart condition that is seriously affected by caffeine and he said they were. The reason I asked was that the waiter that had taken our order did not write anything down. The tea cakes had no jam with them so my husband had to go into the hotel and ask and by the time the jam arrived they were cold but we just ate them as by this time we had given up, they were not spiced either!! You have also probably guessed but no, the lattes were clearly not decaf either as within half an hour I could tell.
An absolutely appalling experience from what is meant to be a first class hotel. Needless to say we did not book a room as they could not even get the basics right, it wasn't even that busy and clearly the staff had no idea of what they were doing. I emailed the hotel to their direct email address but they did not even respond which I find extremely arrogant. This is the first time I have ever complained so that in itself should tell you something.

1 Thank John F
BrudenellGManager, General Manager at Seafood & Grill Restaurant, responded to this review, 7 June 2014
Dear Guest
I am sorry to hear about your visit and that this is the first time it has come to my attention. I apologise as we have not seen an email from you. I would like the opportunity to discuss this with you directly, please contact me at the hotel on 01728 452071 or re-email me with your details directly, on generalmanager@brudenellhotel.co.uk. I will be at the hotel today.
Kind regards
Peter
Ingatestone, United Kingdom
“Lovely on a sunny day”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

I liked the setup of the restaurant both inside and outside. A good menu and food was very good also.

Visited May 2014
2 Thank Ray P
UK
“Excellent seafood”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

We had two dinners and one lunch during the May bank holiday weekend and we therefore had the opportunity to sample a variety of dishes on their new menu. Fish and chips was excellent, oysters were fresh, grilled plaice was fine, the lobster and crab were very good, and the salmon and crab burger was ok. The service was rather slow and impersonal on all occasions due to the large number of people. Prices are reasonable but not cheap, and the kids menu is good, my daughter loved the tomato soup. There are nice sea views if you manage to get a table by the windows.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank UkWorldtravellerplus
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Impromptu afternoon tea”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

We don't live very far from Aldeburgh and often take a walk along the front popping in to the Brudenell for a cuppa and cake for a bit of luxury. We did so today and sat in the lounge area at 3.30, a very helpful member of staff helped us to a table and kindly removed a chair so that we could accommodate our son's buggy. He left us to settle and said someone would be with us soon to take our order..... We waited.....and waited....and waited, finally my partner decided to go and place the order at the bar for our cream tea, cafetiere of coffee and pot of tea. The waiting continued..... 40 minutes later my scones, cream and jam arrived, but no cutlery and no drinks. The 4 tables surrounding us were also having the same issues, two ladies looking forward to their afternoon tea treat had been to and from the bar three times to chase the progress!! No drinks arrived so I asked a member of staff when we could expect them, his attitude was laughable!! The staff just didn't seem to be prepared, it wasn't particularly busy but the town was so perhaps they were all nearing the end of a busy service. I have no problem with foreign staff being employed however they had not been trained in basic customer service, neither did they seem to have any system in place for staffing the lounge area, four different members of staff fulfilled our order, it had the feel of Fawlty Towers about it! This is the first time we have encountered service such as this so I am hoping it is a blip, I will give it another go with friends but unfortunately it won't be with my partner as he has been put off for good!

Dear Guest
I am sorry to hear about your visit and that this is the first time it has come to my attention. I would like the opportunity to discuss this with you directly, please contact me at the hotel on 01728 452071 or re-email me with your details directly, on generalmanager@brudenellhotel.co.uk.
Kind regards