“Decidely average, very rushed Sunday lunch”
Review of Brasserie Bleue

Brasserie Bleue
Reserve with OpenTable
Brasserie Bleue is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 30 Restaurants in Aldeburgh
Price range: US$0 - US$41
Cuisines: European, French
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Our new Bar and Brasserie has been inspired by a modern desire to return to simple, 'back to basics' food, offering freshly prepared dishes, contemporary, informal surroundings and impeccable service. We hope the whole family will enjoy dining with us. From fresh fish bought from Dean's Shed, situated on the beach opposite the White Lion, to smoked kippers sourced from Pinney's of Orford, every ingredient used in the exciting dishes which feature on the new menu, has been 'hand picked' to guarantee an abundance of flavours - Bon Appétit.
Reviewed 10 September 2012

I read with interest a review for The White Lion where the general opnion was of surprise at just how many positive reviews this restaurant gets. I totally agree. Either I am missing something or we must have visited on an 'off day' or when the amazing staff that others refer to were on leave.

We were looking for a Sunday lunch venue during our stay in Aldeburgh and decided to opt for The White Lion based on these positive reviews.

We were seated in a large booth back in the main restaurant (no views out to the sea-front), which was a bit of a shame, despite there being empty tables in the front section that overlooked the sea. My advice would be to specifically request a table which gives you a better view otherwise you may aswell be sitting in any old restaurant miles away from the sea.

Immediately we were asked for our drinks. I asked for a bottle of wine with a glass of lemonade for the adults and a mineral water for my daughter. The waitress then took our food orders from the 3 course lunch menu but oddly then decided to try and persuade us to partake in olives/nibbles aswell, even though these are not on the lunch menu. It just felt a little pushy, and unnecessary, so we declined. Drinks then arrived at the table, however, I noticed instead of a glass of lemonade we had been given a huge pint of lemonade and a large (750ml) bottle of mineral water! In other words, upping how much we would have to spend. I pointed out we only wanted a small bottle or glass of mineral water and that the waitress did not point out when my daughter wanted a mineral water that it would be a large bottle. He informed me they only do large bottles (How convenient for them!) so I sent it back and asked for a glass of tap water instead. We decided to keep the pint of lemonade, although I was not best pleased that they had automatically provided a large option to us. Lets face it, it's pretty unusual to actually want a pint of lemonade.

My starter of chicken, blue cheese salad arrived very quickly and looked a good portion although mainly lettuce with only a few small pieces of fairly dry chicken. As soon as I finished my last bite the waitress practically pounced upon our table and cleared away. I barely had chance to swallow my last mouthful before the roast mains were produced. Suddenly I felt like I was in some sort of race rather than enjoying a lovely, relaxing sunday lunch as hoped.

Firstly we noticed a huge yorkshire pudding, which dominated the plate, sadly the rest of the portion did not appear as generous. I had 3 very thin, small slices of pork. It would have taken some skill to cut it so wafer thin! The crackling that came with the roast was about 1cm by 4 cm in size and coated in salt making it impossible to eat without my tongue stinging. My friend stated her beef was pretty good although we were all disappointed with the less than crispy potatoes, and the equally small and soggy parnsips. The best part for me was the sauce/gravy. That was delicious, but sadly a sauce even that good could not save the meal for me.

Once again, the plates were whipped away from us and barely a moment went by before the pudding menus were shoved into our hands and within moments our orders were placed. I was verging on indigestion it felt so rushed.

Pudding portions were almost laughable. My daughters panna cotta was tiny! Not much bigger than the raspberry placed next to it. I noticed ice-cream being taken to other tables and they were also one simple scoop with a thin wafer sticking out.

We asked for the bill and we were annoyed to see that despite sending back the large bottle of water it still appeared on our bill (£3.95!). This was removed.

If you are looking for a relaxing unrushed sunday lunch, look elsewhere. From the time we were seated to getting through 3 courses and paying the bill was a super speedy ONE HOUR!!! I have had more leisurely work lunch breaks than that.

Overall, sadly average food with very hurried service. And be careful you are very clear when ordering drinks with your meal regarding sizes required or they will just assume and provide the largest option.

1  Thank Lucindajb

Reviewed 9 September 2012

Very simple, yet delicious food and wine. Great decor and ambience - very cozy, but still had an upscale feel. I really liked the roasted garlic and the mussels in cream sauce. Would definitely recommend to anyone visiting Aldeburgh!

WLAldeburgh, General Manager at Brasserie Bleue, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2012

Thank you for your recent review, I am pleaesed that you enjoyed your time with us. See you soon. Best Wishes

Reviewed 4 September 2012

My wife & I stayed about 10 minutes outside Aldeburgh for a couple of nights for our wedding anniversary & we dined at a restaurant in Aldeburgh on each of the nights. First was the Regatta (the day of our anniversary), although the food was good there, the whole ambience of the restaurant was not good at all. When we go for dinner we like to be looked after by the staff & we like places with a bit of class, style, romantic touches such as candle lit tables & dimmed lighting around the room etc, which creates a calm & nice atmosphere. This is just as important to us as the food quality. The Regatta was none of the above & it felt like we were dining in a cafeteria or somebodies lounge, with poor service & even the locals just dressed casually in shorts, fleeces & sandals. We left there hugely disappointed even though the food was good. The reason I am commenting about a different restaurant on this same review is because I now want to compare it to what has to be the best restaurant in Aldeburgh (The White Lion), now this is what I call a thoroughly perfect way to dine !!! The night after our anniversary we came here & we wish we would have come here the night before on our actual anniversary night instead. As soon as we arrived we thought "this is more like it" & were made welcome with great service from the off. The restaurant has a relaxed dim lighting mood throughout, candles on the table, the locals were this time dressed smartly like you should be when you go for an evening dinner & you just got that feel of class about the place. The staff were very polite & the meal was fantastic !! I had honey glazed baby chorizo sausages for starter & although that doesn't normally sound like a starter you get at most places, the flavour & taste was unbelievable & you felt like you could eat them all night they were that good, highly recommended to have these as your starter. My wife had chicken liver & Adnam’s sherry parfait with grenadine onions & toasted brioche for starter which she thoroughly enjoyed too. For main meals, I had apricot glazed lamb rump with baby onions, potato puree, rosemary jus & my wife had Dingley Dell pork with black pudding, savoy cabbage & bacon & sage jus. Both mains were delicious but the pork especially had a great taste to it. The menu has wide range of variety which we looked at on their website in advance of going there so that's worth a look. We did not have any desert & we did not stay at the hotel itself so we can't comment on this. We had a lovely romantic dinner & we moved on to a nice bar area afterwards for a few more drinks to end the night, the only negative which is such a small negative (compared to our whole evening) was the cocktails. They were really strong & they wasn't great for the price you paid so stick to wine, beers & spirits etc & you'll be fine. We highly recommend a visit of the White Lion if you are in Aldeburgh & can't praise it enough........we will definitely visit again & again if we are in the area......thanks for a lovely night.

Wow... Thank you so much for your kind words...Best Wishes

Reviewed 4 September 2012

We had a very nice lunch at your bistro. Food was great, we had the seafood platter,what was very tasty and fresh.We were looking for some special drinks also, Steven, the bartender made for us strawberry margarita-from fresh strawberries,we enjoyed it very much.We finished our meal with benoffe tart. The waiting starff was very helpful and friendly.We can not wait to come back. See you soon...

Thank you for recent review. I am glad you opted for the seafood, We have an amazing choice of fresh seafod catch daily on our doorstep. Come back and see us soon. Best Wishes

Reviewed 3 September 2012

Food was a little over priced for the quantities e.g. monk fish only had two small pieces. What we had was lovely but it's not particularly good value for money. The atmosphere and the hotel/restaurant was nice and the staff very helpful.

Thank you for chosing the White Lion to host your special occasion. Do come back to see us again soon. Best Wishes