“pub”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Aldeburgh
Ye Olde Cross Keys Inn
Ranked #8 of 17 Aldeburgh B&B and Inns
Abingdon, United Kingdom
“pub”
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Don’t believe all you read on trip advisor. We were on holiday last week in Aldeburgh and popped into the Cross keys more than once for a drink. We found the pub land lady Becky very friendly and had a great time chatting to all the regulars.

The Crosskeys was a very cosy friendly pub with lots of character, we will visit again when we are in the area.

Debs and Jim

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank AntiqueBrowser

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 September 2013 via mobile

I can't agree more with many of the other reviewers. We popped in for a drink on a glorious day out in aldeburgh. After walking through the very shabby garden area, we were met by grumpy, slightly aggressive bar staff who made us feel most UNwelcome. Despite clearly ordering a lime and lemonade, I was made to feel it was my fault when we were given a lime and soda....then charged an extra 50p for the correct drink. Whatever happened to the customer always being right?! The toilets were dark and dingy, with water (at least I hope that's what it was) all over the floor. Such a shame that this poor excuse for a pub has a prime location in a beautiful seaside town.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Nicholas W

Travellers are raving about these Aldeburgh hotels

Reviewed 19 September 2013

We stayed in the ye olde cross keys inn in aldeburgh on Saturday 14th September 2013 . We found the staff very welcoming and friendly . We had a great meal in the bar and enjoyed the local beer . This pub ticks all the boxes if you want value for money , a great atmospheric bar and friendly staff . The staff went out of their way to ensure that we both enjoyed out stay .This pub provides unpretentious but undoubtable charm which won't break the bank .
Situated in a perfect position for exploring Aldeburgh , we certainly will be back for more of the same .

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank Stevo010864
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Situated between the High Street and the sea you would have thought they had it made. Whilst all around Aldeburgh businesses are doing wonderful things, at The Cross Keys they treat customers as an inconvenience. There was just me and a local in the bar, but even then the youth behind the bar managed to serve me without either speaking or looking at me. The next night we went to the White Hart at the same time in the evening where customers were three deep at the bar. In spite of being so busy, the bar staff were welcoming and friendly. When I went back for a second round, the bar maid smiled and said ' same again?' The impact of the fact that she remembered me and my order was immense. The result was that we went back two more times during our holiday and spent in all seven times as much as at the Cross Keys.
When you are serving the same beer as your competitors, your customers will be comparing you on your service and the ambience of your premises. On this, the Cross Keys fails abysmally. It doesn't matter though, the White Hart is very close by.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank barhillbob
HALESWORTH
Reviewed 4 August 2013

31st July we visited Aldeburgh and for a treat we decided to have a pub lunch in this pub.

I chose a Ploughmans' and requested white bread instead of the offered granary bread.

I was bitterly disappointed by my meal when it arrived. Large plate with 2 slices of pappy white sliced supermarket bread 3 pieces of cheese, cheddar, stilton, and brie, a small pot of branston pickle, 6 tiny salad leaves doused in oily dressing, 1 baby tomato which had a soft area and a split in the flesh indicating it was either going bad or had been squashed, 1 medium pickled onion, 2 pats of wrapped butter which were soft and runny and 2 minute pieces of fresh onion. Ghastly! the only good thing was the cheese. I felt robbed when I realised this dreadful meal had cost me £9.95 - disgraceful charges. My partner had a crab sandwich loved the crab but the bread - yes you have guessed it was that damn awful pappy white sliced supermarket bread again !
The area leading to the toilets all looked grubby and would benefit from a lick of new paint - smells stale too. All brass door fitments etc tarnished looking - the place does not look cared for.
The ashtray was filled with old cigarettes, ash and debris and it was full of rain water - horrid.
I felt very cross that my treat of a smashing meal out had not been met - I felt and still feel very cheated.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank GOLLYAUNTMAUD
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2013 via mobile

Thankfully we only ate here and didn't stay. I really wish I'd been able to check the reviews first.
The food was revolting. Fish and chips is difficult to get wrong. Nasty, cheap, soggy fish from the freezer. Black chips and bargain peas. Stilton and broccoli soup from a tin.
We did tell the waitress who seemed concerned but we could hear the response in the kitchen - they clearly found it funny.
Filthy floor.
Avoid this place until they improve service, attitude and quality.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank ruby4591
United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2013

End of July, glorious weather at a popular seaside town, cross keys deserted. Not serving food in the evening we called. Just as dingy and grubby inside, no welcome, still surly landlady and non smiling bar staff. Will not return.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank NowRetired31
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aldeburgh
The Brudenell Hotel
#1 of 1 in Dunwich
Randolph Hotel
Randolph Hotel
#1 of 4 in Southwold

Been to Ye Olde Cross Keys Inn? Share your experiences!