“Good old English hotel”
Review of Wentworth Hotel

Wentworth Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Aldeburgh
Reviewed 9 November 2013

This hotel is a fine example of a traditional family run English hotel. The service, comfort and the food was a delight. One potential downside is the average age of guests being quite high but the plus is there were no young children when we went and the hotel is dog friendly. Visit Aldeburgh and stay here and you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: You must go for a sea view
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
james_wentworth, General Manager at Wentworth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2013

All ages come to the hotel and, as you rightly note, we do try and offer a traditional level of service that guests appreciate.

Dogs are also always welcome with well behaved owners

We hope to see you soon

Reviewed 5 November 2013

My husband, two daughters and I, often visit on a Sunday evening for a meal. We have done so for a few years and we are never disappointed. We are always greeted by friendly staff who are more than willing to help. Food Is faultless with plenty of variety and especially on a Sunday evening, it is very good value for money. Always a joy to be there and will be visiting again soon! Can't recommend it enough!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Jayne I
james_wentworth, General Manager at Wentworth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Thank you for leaving a review. We are glad you continue to visit us. Your comments about the food and staff have been passed on to the relevant departments

We look forward to seeing you soon!

Best wishes

Reviewed 2 November 2013

My wife and I recently had an excellent three nigh break in this first class hotel in the picturesque resort of Aldeburgh and would highly recommend it. I have seen some adverse comments about cost but we found quite the contrary, it proved excellent value for money - We had a Dinner Bed and Breakfast deal that cost us £204 per night but that included a splendid room upgrade with not only a sea view from the bedroom, but a separate lounge area with a further three windows overlooking the beach giving four windows with light flooding in, and three very high quality meals in the restaurant. and we also kept the same table in the restaurant throughout our stay, both for dinner and breakfast which is also a nice touch.

Our room and all the public areas are furnished to a high quality and there is plenty of "elbow room" throughout the hotel which is very nice. All the staff are polite and efficient and the place just suggests class and is a real pleasant change from all the multiple chain hotels that are out there. Would we go back - most definitely and in fact hope to do so sooner rather than later!

Room Tip: we had room 8 which was excellent
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
james_wentworth, General Manager at Wentworth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a lovely review. We are glad you enjoyed the hotel and all it had to offer.

Room 8 is certainly a great room and we are glad to hear you were comfortable

Hopefully we will see you back at the hotel in the near future

Reviewed 28 October 2013

Had a wonderful evening meal here. The hotel is sumptious and the restaurant is perfecty delightful. Our meal on the early evening menu was one of the best for the money we paid. I've paid double for poorer meals elsewhere. Staff treated us like royalty and I would love to come back again. It's a real East Coast treaure.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
james_wentworth, General Manager at Wentworth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. It is pleasing to read that you enjoyed your brief stay with us and furthermore that the early evening menu was appreciated.

The staff work hard to ensure our guests have the most comfortable stay possible and your comments will be passed on

We hope to see you again in the near future

Reviewed 25 October 2013

We came here for a lunchtime celebration with family and friends. It was my first visit but most of the others are regulars due to repeat quality and standard. The food was amazing. I opted for the delicious fish cake cooked with a lemon mouse type sauce and a fall off the bone lamb shank for main. All served on a nice warm plate I might add. For dessert I enjoyed the coconut pannacota. The service and surroundings were what I would call extra special. The hotel has several sofa areas all with its own open fire to gather around for a drink. The decor, paintings and comfort the hotel offers is 5 star. Some of my party regularly stay here for a break and only live a short drive away so I would suggest the accommodation is also very good. If you visit this area I would suggest this is the place to stay.

Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends

Thank you so much for your review. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed the food at the hotel. The homemade fishcake is certainly a favourite and the chefs to produce amazing braising dishes.

The owner spends considered time on the artwork and furnishing so I am glad these were also appreciated.

I hope your first time will be the start of many visits to us!

Reviewed 14 October 2013

We stayed at the Wentworth hotel for our wedding anniversary and booked one of the rooms with a sea view (over £200.00) for one night bed and breakfast.

I cannot say that there was anything wrong with the room at all it was all very comfortable and clean but did not have the WOW factor we were expecting for that price. We have stayed in better rooms for a lot less money

We did find that the hotel age group was mainly over 65 year olds (probably the time of year that we had chosen)

I do feel the need to comment on a very unwelcoming member of staff Mary (an older lady) who served us at breakfast who really was not friendly at all. There was no "Good Morning", smile or anything just "Yes" when she came over to the table to take our order. Other guests did comment on how miserable she was as well. The young waitresses were fine and could not do enough for you.

No major problems just feel overpriced for the time of year.

2  Thank fernsRomford
james_wentworth, General Manager at Wentworth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. At this time of year sea view rooms are still very popular and do command a high rack rate. We do actually fall lower than some other hotels in the area. I am sorry you didn't think it was value for money.

The staff member I think you are talking about has been at the hotel a long time and is generally considered to be helpful and considerate towards guests. She does sometimes have a rather forward approach which can unease some guests but I assure you no harm is meant by this. I apologise on her behalf for any offense that was taken

Congratulations on your wedding anniversary and I am sorry your expectations were not met wholly on this occasion.

Kind regards

Reviewed 1 October 2013

Nice hotel with a few challenges. First the good aspects, great location for looking around Aldeburgh or walking on the coastline, the hotel is just across the road from the seafront. The interior is nicely decorated, well equipped rooms comfortable beds and some very nice pictures hanging on the walls. The desk staff were very friendly. The big black mark was the dinner service which was poor (and that's being charitable). We were given menus and then abandoned in a corner of the lounge, we had to go and complain to get someone to take our order and bring us a wine list. After dinner they offered us coffee in the lounge but then forgot to bring it. One slip up like this is bad, two are unforgiveable. What makes this particularly sad is the food is very good, we thought it had improved from when we stayed here once before. Breakfast service was by different staff who were a lot more organised than the dinner crew. Despite the painful dinner service I'll probably stay there again just for the location.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NJLondon165
james_wentworth, General Manager at Wentworth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2013

Thank you for your review. I am glad you enjoyed most aspects of your stay with us.

With regards to the service this is not the usual standard of the hotel. As you will see from previous reviews this is quite an anomaly but this doesn't excuse the fact that we have let you down on this occasion.

If you would like to contact me directly so your experience can be discussed in more detail I would be grateful - james.wentworth@hotmail.com

I would like to assure you that we will establish your confidence when you re-book with us

Also consider these accommodations in or near Aldeburgh
The Brudenell Hotel
Ufford Park Woodbridge Hotel, Golf & Spa
The Crown
The Crown
#2 of 4 in Southwold

Been to Wentworth Hotel? Share your experiences!