“Seaside gem”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Aldeburgh
UK
“Seaside gem”
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Not a cheap stay but you get what you pay for, which is great, characterful public areas (lots of them), fantastic seaview rooms (though these are pricier), great food (especially the evening meals) and good service. A romantic, independent hotel but also good for a family stay.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank ScoobUK
james_wentworth, General Manager at Wentworth Hotel, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Thank you for your review.

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. Our spacious lounges certainly contribute to the overall feel of the hotel and create the home from home atmosphere we aim for. We have been owned by the same family now for 94 years so truly an independent hotel.

Your comments about the cuisine are pleasing and I do hope we can welcome you back in the near future so you can enjoy the hotel again

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
Nantwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Recently re- furbished this is a very nice sea- side hotel with old fashioned service.
Food was very good and service excellent - a popular restaurant locally for non residents.
Car park can be tight for spaces if you arrive late.
Only minor complaint was the water flow to the bath - it took an age to fill!! ( but the shower was good)

Room Tip: The large sea front rooms are very good, particularly room 24 with a bay window
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for leaving a review. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. The restaurant is popular with both residents and non-residents and I'm glad the service was also appreciated.

I apologise for the bath taking a long time to fill. Perhaps you might contact me direct with your room number and our maintenance department can inspect this - james.wentworth@hotmail.com

Newbold on Avon, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 June 2014

We had a long weekend at the Wentworth Hotel, it was our first visit to Aldeburgh and we enjoyed every minute of it. The staff are friendly and helpful, the food is good and the room was clean and comfortable, what more could we ask. The hotel is also dog friendly and we took our small and well behaved Border Terrier with us. We were pleased to find that he was as welcome as we were at the hotel and he was able to go into all the rooms except the dining room. We find that some hotels claim to be dog friendly but dogs are confined to the bedrooms. It was not the case at the Wentworth so full marks to them for that. We had breakfast and evening meals in the hotel and could not fault the food or the service. There are two nice outdoor patio areas where you can have a drink at lunchtime or in the evening, one is sunny during the day and the other gets the evening sun. Overall, we would highly recommend the Wentworth Hotel, full marks!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review. It is pleasing that you chose the Wentworth to stay at for your first trip to Aldeburgh. I am delighted that the hotel matched your expectations and we were able to provide you with a comfortable stay.

Well behaved dogs are always welcome and we appreciate it is important for some people to be able to bring their dogs as members of the family.

Our outside seating areas are becoming more and more popular at this time of year and I am pleased you had a chance to relax in the sun.

I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel if you choose to visit Aldeburgh again
Reviewed 12 June 2014

We have stayed at the Wentworth several times over the past few years and are always very happy to return; it is such a great hotel. There is an old-fashioned feeling of understated comfort and the welcome is always warm and friendly. We stayed in April in Darfield house. This was the first time we had stayed in that part of the hotel, over the road from the main building. We were delighted with the quality of the double room we occupied; it was very spacious and the facilities were excellent. The quality of the menus on offer at the Wentworth is one of the reasons we always enjoy our visits there; there is a wide range of excellent dishes available, with the seafood particularly good, as you might expect from a hotel situated in Aldeburgh. The service is exemplary and the staff are unfailingly cheerful and helpful. The atmosphere of the hotel is perhaps its most attractive feature; it is comfortable and relaxed and all of the guests you meet seem very pleased to be there. The rates are very competitive; we think, for what is on offer it is very good value.We have booked another stay for a few days in July and are very much looking forward to staying at the Wentworth again.

Anthony S

Room Tip: The rooms in Darfield house are excellent; it is also nice and quiet in that part of the hotel.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am glad you continue to visit us over the years and that you have another stay planned already.

Darfield House was refurbished last year as part of our ongoing renovation in the hotel. We aim to completely refurbish an area of the hotel each year to ensure we modernise whilst maintaining our traditional standards.

I am pleased the food is a primary reason for visiting us and we will continue to offer a good selection of dishes each evening.

A country house (by the sea) atmosphere is what we aim to create and this hopefully emanates throughout the hotel

Your comments are gratefully appreciated and we look forward to seeing you in July
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I stayed here last night, checked in late as I was working locally. I stayed on the ground floor in a large double bedroom, the bathroom was lovely, gret bug bath tub and excellent shower. Totally modern with nice lighting and toiletries.
Breaksfast was high standard and the rooms and hotel were clean (I am fussy too!!).
The only negative thing was checking in and out, because the company I was working with were paying, I found the staff to be a little on their guard, backs up straight away, as if I'd stay and run away without paying!!
But when they spoke to the people I was working for (again in the morning after explaining and dealing with the issue the night before) everything was fine.
I would stay here again, next time I would bring my family too :)

Room Tip: Ground floor spacious room in building opposite
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank OpenMindz
james_wentworth, General Manager at Wentworth Hotel, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Thank you for your review. I am pleased to read you enjoyed your stay and appreciated the bedroom and bathroom

I apologise for the confusion regarding checkout. I think we were not 100% sure if the company was paying and just wanted to double check with you.

We hope to welcome you back very soon and hopefully you will get a chance to bring your family

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Nice old-style hotel in a great location just across the road from the sea. Very nice comfortable public rooms, well furnished and attractive and loads of nice little places to sit. Great outside terraces too. On the negative side, our sea view room was a bit tired and a bit on the small side, not up to scratch for the pricetag of £238/night. The service was also a bit unprofessional and clunky - reception staff were helpful about finding secure parking for our bikes but trying to order a cup of tea or book a table in the dining room proved a challenge. We booked a specific table in the dining room only to be denied it when we turned up because it was already booked. It stayed empty all night because, of course, it had been booked by us but they had just not been able to tie together the bookings. It was a similar situation when ordering tea. Also, the breakfast was not really up to scratch - cheap sandwich breads, cheap poor quality vegetarian sausages and hash browns, etc. not bad exactly, but just not good quality high standard. So - overall, a comfortable enough stay but it could have been much better and, although I wouldnt refuse to stay there again, I wouldn't go out of my way to repeat the experience.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank McFrankie
james_wentworth, General Manager at Wentworth Hotel, responded to this review, 8 June 2014
Thank you for your review. I'm sorry the hotel did not match your expectations on this occasion. We run a rolling refurbishment programme for our bedrooms and each room is renovated completely within a seven year cycle. I do apologise that the room you had looked tired. Perhaps you might detail which room you stayed in - I can be contacted by email, james.wentworth@hotmail.com

I would also be interested in further details regarding the service. Our service usually receives good praise. Perhaps you could let me know the date of your stay so we can investigate further the confusion regarding the table booking

Our sandwich bread comes fresh from the bakery and the vegetarian sausages are Linda McCartneys. The hash browns come from one of our reputable food suppliers. I'm sorry these were not to your liking.

Your comments are appreciated and obviously The Wentworth team is disappointed to read some of the shortfalls during your stay

Thank you again for taking the time to write
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We stayed at The Wentworth during May .As we had booked in advance we were too early for the special May offers and we were just a little dissapointed to see that the cost would have been far less if we had held off booking until that month .Next time we will wait for their monthly offers which makes the hotel about the right price then , The hotel is lovely ,run by excellent staff and Management .Our room in the annexe was excellent ,decorated very well and a wonderful electronic shower unit .The toilietries were also very nice .The main hotel is truly old English and the restaurant,bar ,meals and service extemely good .I would certainly recomend this hotel to mature couples seeking a traditional well run hotel .

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lynne L

I'm sorry you missed our offers. We run these as 'last minute' deals for those that will be booking a room nearer the date and there is obviously a slight risk that people may miss out on a booking if they wait until the offers are released

I am glad you enjoyed the hotel and the traditional ambience it has. It is also pleasing to note that you enjoyed the meals and service

I hope we can welcome you back very soon, and hope you may be able to take advantage of a late deal
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aldeburgh
The Brudenell Hotel
Randolph Hotel
Randolph Hotel
#1 of 4 in Southwold
Ufford Park Woodbridge Hotel, Golf & Spa

Been to Wentworth Hotel? Share your experiences!