“Good Night Stay”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Aldeburgh
Warwick, United Kingdom
“Good Night Stay”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We only stayed one night while passing through but found everything very good. We had a back room which was very nice with a large comfy bed and crisp white sheets. The bathroom was very large and airy with 2 windows. The evening meal was very good and served very efficiently. I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
james_wentworth, General Manager at Wentworth Hotel, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Your review is appreciated and I am glad you found us for a one night stay. I am pleased everything was yo your satisfaction and we hope to have you back at the hotel next time you are in the area

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
Woodbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Stopped at the wentworth today for lunch on 'the terrace' very reasonably priced burger, clearly homemade, still pink in the middle with excellent hand cut chips. Along with the view of the sunny aldeburgh beach it was a very good lunchtime choice!

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank curryandsoup91
Thank you for your review. It is nice to hear you enjoyed the burger. The chefs spend good time in the kitchen mincing and seasoning the beef and making our burgers. The homemade chips certainly compliment it well. We even make our mayonnaise!

We hope to have you back for lunch on the terrace or in one of our lounges soon
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Our room ( 34) directly faced the sea, across the promenade via the beached fishing boats and 'fish shacks'. The thoughtfully provided binoculars and wide open windows were a treat in themselves. I have to say this is clearly a Hotel with clientele to match the demographics of the town: not young! The food choice matched or defined that also: simple fare but not bad.
The facade and common rooms are "classic" English seaside. The bedrooms, however, are well appointed, bright and clearly well serviced. The bathroom, while not large, was excellent. Very polite staff and welcome.

1 Thank Gerryp58
Thank you for your review. Glad you enjoyed the views and the traditional nature of the hotel. The food is a mixture of traditional dishes and modern British.

We hope to have you back soon
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We stayed in a room with a sea view & a small tv/sitting room off it . The staff were professional, helpful, polite and cheerful. The rooms were very comfortable and well maintained. The food was good. Three things that seem increasingly difficult to find in one place. It is at the quiet end of Aldeburgh and just a 23 minute pleasant walk along the coast to the edge of Thorpeness.
There was only light traffic on the coast road when we were there in July. The weather was hot and the room had an efficient fan.
The gardens at the side of the hotel and the side facing the sea are very pleasant and colourful
with plenty of shady umbrellas and good waiter service.

We would stay again.

2 Thank Siena82
james_wentworth, General Manager at Wentworth Hotel, responded to this review, 4 August 2014

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and were able to book one of our rooms with the separate lounge area. I completely agree that the service, cuisine and comfortable rooms are three elements that we must get right. It is pleasing therefore that you found all to be of a good standard.

The gardens facing the sea are certainly a major plus for the hotel and these are unrivalled in town. The Tiffany Garden provides a great sun trap in the late afternoon and the terrace is nice to relax on too for a quick lunchtime bite.

Your comments are appreciated and we hope to welcome you back soon

Best wishes
East Sussex, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Pleasant genteel place to stay for a relaxing few days....300 yards from the main action in Aldeburgh...but far enough to retain its tranquility...

Quintessential English....large comfy open lounge areas...good but unpretentious dining ....even down to the somewhat mixed service varying from brusque on occasion at reception....to non existent....20 mins to get a drink at the bar....we called 3 times....to excellent at dinner.

Dinner is skimpy on the veg and sauce/gravy which isn't served separately...though the starters are good (excellent tomato soup ....and try the scallops special) mains too (apart from the veg) and in keeping with overall style the deserts include school dinner favourites like sticky toffee....plus subtler options like sorbet...

Sea view rooms worth the extra though even the 'large' ones are a lot smaller than the ones in the adjacent Darfield house....but who wants to go to Aldeburgh and look out at the back of a Hotel....

But overall recommended for those who crave a wind down and won't be wound up again by the odd blip in service standards.....all part of getting a bit more laid back I imagine they are trying to tell you as you wait for that thirst quencher (it was 27c outside....)

Room Tip: Pay extra for seaview.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for leaving your review. I am pleased you enjoyed most aspects of your stay with us and appreciated the traditional atmosphere of the hotel.

I apologise for the lacklustre service you received. This is not the standard we strive towards and we will be working hard with the heads of departments to ensure that our customer service is improved, and that these shortfalls do not occur again.

Please do ask if you would like extra vegetables and the sauce served separately. Neither is a problem and we would be pleased to accommodate your requests.

Our 'larger' rooms are termed as such as they provide a more spacious bedroom than the standard rooms. Darfield House rooms are also very spacious but, as you point out, the seaview is often preferred.

I am pleased to read you will be back and hope the blips in our service standards have been eliminated by this time

Thank you again for taking the time to write
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 29 July 2014

My wife and I spent two nights at the Wentworth Hotel recently and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. We decided to stay in Aldeburgh as we had tickets for the final concert in this year's Aldeburgh Festival at the Snape Maltings, just a few miles away, and we wanted to see a little of the town that is so closely associated with the great composer and founder of the festival, Benjamin Britten. The Wentworth, a hotel owned and run by the same family since 1920, was an obvious choice, and it turned out to be a good one! Our room, which overlooked Aldeburgh's shingle beach, was quiet and comfortable and the bathroom was spotlessly clean. We dined both nights in the hotel and the quality of the food and the service was excellent. There is no lift in the hotel, but there are five rooms on the ground floor. I discovered that too late so it was a laborious climb up to our room on the second floor. There are binoculars for use by guests in some of the sea view rooms. Not in ours, or if there was I didn't find them. No matter, I could gaze at the grey dawn breaking over sea and shingle, hearing Britten's haunting Sea Interlude from Peter Grimes in my head. But didn't as I was fast asleep in a very comfortable bed. We struggled down eventually for the full Suffolk breakfast. The Wentworth is a great hotel. We'll be back.

1 Thank David H
james_wentworth, General Manager at Wentworth Hotel, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Thank you for your review. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel.

Unfortunately we do not have a lift but the five ground floor rooms are spacious and well appointed and two of them still have a sea view.

I'm sorry you did not find the binoculars. I asked the housekeeping staff to check all seafacing rooms and all binoculars seem to be present. I'm glad you enjoyed the view nonetheless.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel and thank you again for your comments
London
Reviewed 28 July 2014

One of my long term rules of thumb is never, ever go back to a place; it is never as good as you think it is. I break it for restaurants where I get superb service and food and as often as I am impressed by a return visit I am disappointed. Mrs B thinks I am just a little bit OCD but as the parking warden of fate comes closer to the illegally parked car of life I am tending to listen more to my wife and venture back to places.
And so we came back to Aldeburgh, this time sans rain to enjoy our wedding anniversary at the Wentworth. We set off in high spirits for a great two hour drive and decided to do some shopping in a town that is well known for quirky shops. Lunch was fish and chips on the pebble beach followed by a pint and a walk. Our mood was still high when we drove over to the Wentworth at about 4.00 pm; we didn’t notice the black cloud hanging over the hotel as we arrived.
First problem was the Sunday lunch crowd were hanging on longer than anticipated and the hotel car park was full. Into reception to ask what to do, to be told that it was “unfortunate” but not unusual and it was suggested that we drive a little distance to park our car and then come back. We tried that and I have to say we tried to find a parking place for about an hour with no luck. Then on driving back to the hotel we saw a car moving out from a parking space and we nipped in. It is amazing how driving aimlessly around a town looking for somewhere to park can suck the life out of a day. Things didn’t improve in reception with a rather brusque lady who didn’t welcome us back or wish us happy anniversary – despite the fact that when booking I mentioned we were returning visitors and it was indeed that most joyous of days. No marks for that then.
The last time we had stayed in a room overlooking the sea and it was delightful. This room was on the town side and had some issues. Yes it was spotless and had all the stuff in that the other room had (apart from a view and binoculars of course) but it had all the stuff in a room half the size. It was very small, so small the TV was on a bracket on the wall. The bathroom while adequate was again smaller than our on suite at home. My wife didn’t like the décor; she thought the colours and patterns were too busy for a bedroom; it didn’t bother me.
The crowning glory of the place last time was the food and we were quite keen to eat so at 6.30 we were in the bar ready for a drink and a view of the menu. The bar was empty when we arrived and even after heavy bell ringing no one appeared so off I went to find a bar person. By the time I got back a barman was operating and several couples were waiting for service. I don’t know if it’s nice or not to be the youngest people in a room, we have reached that age when it isn’t unusual that we are the oldest people in the room but tonight we were the youngsters. A smell of naphtha mixed with lavender issued forth from many of our fellow guests and I pointed out to the present Mrs B that at least we wouldn’t have problems with rap parties or our fellow guests trying to sell us illegal drugs – knitting patterns perhaps but drugs – no.
Menus arrived and again while the service can only be described as brusque it was efficient and we were seated for dinner by 7.15. We said to our waitress who was professional but distant how much we enjoyed our meal last time and she said the thing that made that black cloud a little bigger, “Oh he left and we have a new Chef now.” Oh dear.
The menu was not as good as last time and I thought they were cheating a bit by having a supplement on everything I wanted to eat – but then I think they had a supplement on a good 40% of the menu; it certainly felt that way. The wine list was as good as last time but prices had increased, but then again prices had increased everywhere. Now here is the strange thing I can only remember three things about the food; I had three courses and I can’t remember what they were. The first thing I remember is that I had some celeriac mash with my main course, which I think was meat. The celeriac mash wasn’t; it was mash sitting on a slice of celeriac which was undercooked, watery and tepid. It wasn’t downright disgusting but it was as close as I want to get on a Sunday night. Then both starter and main course were really terribly under seasoned. Nothing tasted of much and that leads me to remembrance number three, it was all lukewarm. The fact that the plates were cold might have had something to do with it but this was not hot food. I can’t even remember what pudding I had. My wife had fish which was over cooked and scallops which were under done. I know the modern thing is for scallops to be cooked pink, but these were very under and again had little flavour and were tepid. So disappointing to say the least and we retired to bed early not a little deflated.
A goods night sleep was spoiled at some ungodly (for a holiday) hour by the sound of the dustbin men whose witty and colourful banter, along with the reversing beep of the health and safety horn awoke us on the Monday morning. At least we got breakfast this time and no one can spoil a full English can they. Well only if they try very hard. The Wentworth made a great deal on its menu about using local produce and it is something I applaud however it is only worth doing if that is an improvement on what you can get in say Waitrose. I was disappointed in the bacon and the sausage but the egg was fine and I can’t remember the rest so it didn’t offend me. At least the plates were warm this time, but the coffee was poor and the toast was burned. We checked out after spending more than we anticipated (bar and wine bill) and Mrs B said those words she so seldom utters – “You were right, we really shouldn’t go back to places”.
Now, it could well be that we got the Wentworth on an off night and that most of the time the food is well seasoned and hot. But with respect, that isn’t the point; I don’t care if it’s perfect 99% of the time I want it perfect when I visit, and it wasn’t. I detected a lack of attention to detail in the kitchen and I don’t think this chef is a patch on the last one. Would I go back? Not in a million years because I can get better and cheaper than this closer to where I live. Will this bother the management at all? I doubt it; they had a busy hotel serving people who obviously enjoyed what they provided and as every review on this website it is subjective and is based around a whole experience. If we had been welcomed warmly and parked up first time, if we had a bigger room or friendly waiting staff or even if the barman had been on duty when I wanted a drink would I have been so disappointed? We will never know but it does show how an experience can be spoilt by a weak link in the process – and an underperforming chef of course.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank brighouse55
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aldeburgh
The Brudenell Hotel
#1 of 4 in Southwold
Satis House Hotel
Satis House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Yoxford

Been to Wentworth Hotel? Share your experiences!