“Wonderful location”

The Brudenell Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Aldeburgh
Reviewed 27 July 2014

The Brudenell is in a wonderful location - at the end of Aldenburgh, right on the seafront. The common areas of the hotel were lovely - there is a lounge to relax or have drinks or even snacks. A terrace overlooking the sea. However, the bedroom we had was disappointing. We had a rear facing room overlooking the alley at the back. Although it was clean and bed comfortable, the room was very small and very stuffy, in the heat of the Summer quite unbearable. We were provided with a small fan, which did help a little. But I am not sure that the room was good value at £190/night. Robes were £5 extra, upon request. Complimentary bottled water was provided in the room - but placed directly in the path of the sun streaming into the room. The wifi (complimentary) was intermittent at best throughout the hotel.
The service was excellent - in both reception and in the restaurant - we could not find fault. It was a shame that the room we had was such a disappointment - even the wonderful location could not justify the price.

Room Tip: Rooms at back (non sea view) get afternoon sun, and can be very hot and stuffy during summer.
2  Thank Mid-Kate
BrudenellGManager, General Manager at The Brudenell Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Dear Kate
Many thanks for your kind comments. I am sorry the experience did not live up to your expectations, unfortunately in the Summer months it does heat up and with the building as old as it is we have little control. We hope this won’t put you off coming again, perhaps in the cooler months

Reviewed 25 July 2014

We recently headed to the Brudenell for a seafood anniversary lunch. I booked online, it was really easy, I then chatted with management and the chef, on twitter, prior to our visit. My queries were responded to almost immediately and the response was always friendly. We were welcomed with glass of bubbles to help us celebrate. The food was delicious and being able to sit outside was perfect. A perfect anniversary treat!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Emma K

Dear Emma
Thank you for updating us on your anniversary lunch! So pleased you had a lovely time. Hope to see you soon

Reviewed 24 July 2014

We did enjoy our stay at the Brudenell - which was a return visit for us. Our room was very comfortable, clean,with great furnishings,a great sea view , and the location is excellent....
BUT there were a couple of issues for me that I do feel the Brudenell need to address:
The price - yes, it is high season and we did have a sea view room, but we paid virtually the same for our 1 night stay as we had paid for a stay at Cliveden just a couple of weeks back. Much as the Brudenell was wonderful, it really is not in the same league as Cliveden ( a historic country house hotel with personal valet service, swimming pools etc. top class restaurent etc.) so I do not think to be charging the same price is really justifiable.
Service in the bar/restaurant - Whilst the service was very friendly and courteous it really was not that professional, again, especially if the Brudenell is to be charging the rates that it does. We ordered pre-dinner drinks, which were not served together at the same time - my partner had to wait ages for hers (a Pina Coldada) whilst the barman checked out how to make one. Even then it was not served correctly, and by this time my Presseco was warm and hardly bubbling. We were shown to our table, and I asked if we could have a window table (there were many vacant). I was told this was the one we had been allocated. I said there were many free and I had made the restaurant booking on the day I had made the hotel booking and the waitress very curtly said she would have to go and speak to her manager - we were then shown to a window table. As we ate our meal (which was delicious) we had to ask for bread to accompany our food, and the following morning at breakfast we again had to ask for toast.
Whilst I appreciate none of these things are major, and as I have said, our room was wonderful and the food just great, it just was not a very professional and polished service for what was a very costly and expensive stay.

5  Thank LucyLondon28

Dear Lucy
Many thanks for taking the time to share your experience, I am pleased you enjoyed the hotel and your overall stay. The team work extremely hard at maintain high standards and we have taken on board your comments and will look at our training needs.

Please do not hesitate to contact me should you wish to discuss this.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Highly recommended for a relaxing break, this hotel is one of the last buildings along Aldeburgh beach, which makes for a very quiet location (except for the sound of the sea!), though still within easy walking range of all the town's attractions. It's modern in style, but not preciously so, and kept impeccably clean. Seaview rooms are highly recommended - you might think you were on a liner! Staff pleasant, relaxed, and non-intrusive. Food good, but could be better - breakfasts in particular a bit 'standard'.

Room Tip: Go for seaview - more expensive, but must be worth it
3  Thank PL_JHT
BrudenellGManager, General Manager at The Brudenell Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Dear guest
Many thanks for taking the time to share your experience at the hotel. I am pleased you had a peaceful and relaxing stay with us; we really do have an enviable location. I do hope we have the chance to welcome you back in the future and wow you with our fantastic two rosette award restaurant.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Wanting to get away from it all, we choose the Brudenell for our short break away and were absolutely delighted with the experience. The Hotel is lovely, right on the edge of the beach and waking up to the sounds of the sea gently lapping on the shingle was heaven! The staff are excellent and nothing is too much trouble for them. One little gesture we liked was the email welcome from the Reception desk immediately after we had booked, such a nice gesture and makes it all very personalised. The food was delicious and not expensive either, breakfasts cooked to order too which we prefer. Thank you Brudenell for making my birthday so special and for the card and chocolates left for me on arrival!

Room Tip: Just be aware that our sea view room had a step DOWN to the bathroom. Not a problem for us but could...
2  Thank Susanrose61

Dear Susan
Many thanks for taking the time to share your birthday treat experience with us and how lovely to hear you enjoyed every moment of your stay. I will share you kind comment with the team. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

Just come back from a 3 night stay at this lovely hotel! We couldn't fault a thing. The room was beautiful - room 106, sea view and a tiny balcony to go with it! Fixtures and fittings were a very high quality, and the decor is bright and fresh and an extension of the beautiful sea views. The staff were delightful. Very discreet but chatty and friendly if you wanted to chat. Always with a smile and very attentive. The restaurant was excellent. Fantastic seafood and a menu we ate from for three days but still didn't sample all the things we wanted to try which is very unusual for us. Catered for my gluten free diet very well and with lots of attention. The town of Aldeburgh is a real gem. We loved everything about it. A very memorable break and a place we definitely want to revisit. No wonder this hotel made the Times list of top seaside hotels to stay at. Thoroughly deserved!

Room Tip: A sea view room is a must to get the best out of your stay.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank angeladavies6
BrudenellGManager, General Manager at The Brudenell Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Dear Angela
I do love the sea-view rooms with the balcony; they are perfect for a morning coffee watching the sunrise! I am pleased to read you enjoyed your stay with us and you felt so well looked after. We look forward to welcoming you back to sample more of the seafood menu delights.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

My partner and I were gifted a hotel voucher for our wedding and we chose to spend it with the Brudenell Hotel. Best decision! The hotel is right on the sea front and we had a wonderful sea view room. Check in was quick and efficient and all staff at the hotel were friendly and welcoming. The hotel has a great atmosphere. It is relaxed and comfortable but not starchy or stuffy. Rooms are well appointed and the bathrooms are fine. One minor criticism is that our room (on 2nd floor) could get a bit hot (but it was a very hot weekend!) and there is no air conditioning, which for a hotel of this class and size would make good sense. Other than that we really can't fault the hotel. Breakfasts were amazing- best veggie 'full English' breakfast I have ever had in a hotel!! The outside terrace is perfect for late evening drinks and for just relaxing watching the World go by. Our first visit to Aldeburgh and we will definitely be back and to stay again at the Brudenell.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room- well worth the upgrade!
1  Thank WozzaTLondon

Dear guest
Many congratulations on your wedding, I am so pleased you selected us to celebrate it with you and that the team made your stay so wonderful. I am pleased you enjoyed our delicious breakfast and you had the chance to relax on our sea-view terrace. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Peter

Also consider these accommodations in or near Aldeburgh
Wentworth Hotel
Thorpeness Golf Club & Hotel
Hintlesham Hall
Hintlesham Hall
#1 of 1 in Hintlesham

Been to The Brudenell Hotel? Share your experiences!