“Hidden Gem - Well worth a visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Aldeburgh Market

Aldeburgh Market
Ranked #3 of 30 Restaurants in Aldeburgh
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Kids, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Nottinghamshire
“Hidden Gem - Well worth a visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2011

We called into the deli to buy some treats and noticed the small restaurant attached. After looking at the appetising menu we decided to eat there as they only do evening meals on a Saturday. It was well worth the visit the fish pie was one of the tastiest I have eaten and my husband had the vegetarian quiche that looked and tasted delicious. The staff were very friendly and the service excellent - they even put our shopping in the fridge while we ate our meal. Our only disappointment was that we would not get the chance to have another evening meal there as we were only in the area for a week. We will certainly visit again when next Aldburgh.

• Visited August 2011

Matlock, United Kingdom
“Nice food, too posh to wait on serfs”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2011

My partner and I had lunch at the AM cafe while on a weekend break in Aldeburgh. We spotted it while walking in the high street and it looked inviting with it's wet fish display inside. You enter through a kind of shop, a really pretentious one at that. You know the sort, expensive jars of quite inexpensively made foodstuffs that look better on the label than they taste. Oh, and the fish counter looked a bit sparse on closer inspection(perhaps this was down to January being out of season for some fish? I don't know?) except for some interesting seaweed and a few specimens of what looked like sole and a couple of fillets of white fish.
The greeting we got was chillier than the fish stand and we were whisked into the eating area by a very curt lady. When we asked if we could sit in a different table to the one offered we were greeted with a "well, I'll have to clean it!". After standing and waiting for it to be cleaned the lady turned around and looked me up and down before physically snorting. It was unbelievable! The food was actually pretty ok if a little on the dear side for what it was, which was fish and mash, hummous salad, and the tiniest portion of potted shrimps known to man...you could have counted less than ten of them, but this is aldeburgh I guess, so they think they can get away with it. The (terribly fashionable) bulk purchase salt and pepper plastic containers on the tables just lent to the "we'll charge what we want and do what we want" ambience of AM cafe, it was laughable. The (French?) waitress who served us the food was wonderful, really full of smiles, attentive, friendly, efficient, and we had no hesitation in giving her a tip, although I did say to her that I hoped she got it and not the "lady" out front.
On exiting we were made to feel totally in the way of the front of house/shop lady again and she actually leaned around us in an irritated manner as we were leaving to continue talking to her friends about something or other. No "goodbye" or "thanks", just haughty ignorance. In fact the front area of AM cafe felt like a "women who wear body warmers" club, where the people who own it or work there can enjoy the "I own/run a posh cafe" feeling all day and look down their noses at the riff raff like me who dare to pay their wages.
I sometimes wonder if places like the AM cafe have stopped trying to cater for the customer and instead impose some arrogant ideal of what you as a customer should be thankful for on entering it's hallowed turf, although to my mind it was honestly not anything to write home about, I'd be suprised if it wins any awards in the local paper, and the service (French waitress excepted) was stunningly rude. Not for us.

• Visited January 2011