“Shopping break” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Aldeburgh Market

Aldeburgh Market
Ranked #5 of 30 Restaurants in Aldeburgh
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
“Shopping break”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

I visited the market for breakfast in March. Thought that the staff were not that bothered and that is a same

London, United Kingdom
“Overpriced, unfriendly and arrogant!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

This eaterie is uncomfortable and cramped.
The menu is expensive and too quirky for its own good.
The owners arrogant and unfriendly.
The owners think they can get away with tripe simply because the place is located in upmarket Aldeburgh!
Another example of a business in this over-hyped town which thinks its God's Gift to the public!
Best avoided. A bit like much of Aldeburgh really!

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Sarafox, Owner at Aldeburgh Market, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
This review refers to a visit made last July, I wonder why it was not posted until last week? Surely more up to date opinion is required by readers of this site.

Although I respect the right of any customer to criticise a restaurant, and we cannot hope to please everyone, I do not agree with any of the comments made about my restaurant., or my home town of Aldeburgh.

I responded to this review a few days ago, but without explanation my review was posted and then removed. I hope this one will not be. If the reviewer has the right to say what he thinks, surely the restaurant has the right to refute it.
Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
“Fresh ingredients”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

Popped in for a quick bowl of soup for lunch. Lovely homemade bread and soup. Good value. Great service.

• Visited April 2014
Witham, United Kingdom
“Bank Holiday Meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

Although a regular visitor to Aldeburgh this is the first time at AM.We had the Poached Smoked Haddock which was really delicious.Although we had not booked they managed to fit us in,the service was good and staff seemed very efficient.Will certainly visit on our next trip but will make sure to book.Would recommend to anyone.

• Visited April 2014
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“A really great restaurant ”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

I was recommended another restaurant in Aldeburgh but I couldn't find it on TripAdvisor and the reviews I could find weren't great. So I booked The Market based on reviews on Trip Advisor and I wasn't disappointed.

We went on Easter Sunday and I was advised, correctly that you need to book if you want to eat in Aldeburgh as it gets busy. So I phoned up the night before but couldn't get through. I left a message and on Sunday morning the restaurant phoned me back and we got a table booked for 4 for 1pm.

Once we arrived in Aldeburgh it took us a while to find the restaurant as 3G didn't function on my phone and my Google maps put the address 170 at the far end of the high street, whereas in reality the restaurant is bang in the centre of the high street. Also the entrance if the restaurant is actually through the green grocers/fish shop so it's not obviously a restaurant at first glance.

So we arrived a bit after 1pm but once we got there we were warmly greeted and very glad we had booked as people were being turned away. It's a small restaurant.

The description on Trip Advisor says 'vegetarian'. We didn't see any meat dishes but I would describe it as a fish restaurant rather than vegetarian.

The food is really great. Very tasty. Very well presented and reasonably priced. For a family of 4 with a main course and pudding we paid approx £20 a head - we didn't have any alcoholic drinks - just soft drinks and tap water.

The service was really good - polite, friendly and very efficient.

Being Aldeburgh you could spent a lot of money eating there. You can of course go the chippy (which looked great and had big queues) which is a low cost option (but being Aldeburgh pricier than normal) but if you want a nice sit down meal without going over board money wise this is a great choice. I recommend it. Trip advisor is right on this one - it's a goody.

2 Thank flowersingingman