“Good. Maybe over-priced.”

The White Lion Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Aldeburgh
“Good. Maybe over-priced.”
Reviewed 15 April 2012 via mobile

Two night weekend whilst bird watching at Minsmere. Staff very friendly, breakfasts good. I decided to eat dinner elsewhere, but the brasserie looked good and was busy both nights.
I would stay here again.

Stayed April 2012
WLAldeburgh, General Manager at The White Lion Hotel, responded to this review, 21 April 2012
I am pleased that you enjoyed time with us and your breakfast with us too. The Brasserie for lunch and dinner is very popular for locals aswell as our residents. The room prices do move up and down with demand and of course the type of room. The website is the best place to find our latest offers and packages, so ensure you are on our mailing list. stay in toucn and see you again soon. Best Wishes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (567)
London
Reviewed 15 April 2012

I was really looking forward to staying here and I'd booked a two night stay in a superior sea view room as a birthday surprise for my husband.

I spoke to the hotel a number of times via email and phone as I was concerned that there were not many room photos on the website and I wanted to make sure I could see exactely what the room was like before I booked it.
I am particularly fussy about bathrooms and I wanted the bathroom that has been completely refurbished (brown with white tiles, as shown on the website). I emailed, asking if the room she'd suggested was on the website and did it have the same bathroom as shown in the photo? The receptionist replied, saying yes, all rooms and bathrooms have been fully refurbished and all photos are on the website. She said room 14 is their best room, so I was delighted and said ok, please request this room for us.

I was so disappointed when I arrived in the room. It was nothing like the photos and it wasn't modern. You could see it had been refurbished in areas and overall it was ok decor wise but traditionally furnished and not what I was expecting. The room chairs had been re upholstered and new curtains, but it did still have the old mahogany furniture and needed a re-paint around the windows for example. Lots of cold air coming in from the large window, so would get cold in the winter I expect, although they do provide a seperate heater.
There was a tiny TV with hardly any channels, seemed to be a DVD built into TV but we didn't use it. Bathrobes were provided as stated but no slippers.(no big deal though!)
The bathroom was horrible and had old fashioned marble swirly patterns on the tiles, exposed pipes and had the original bath/loo/sink/bidet that needed replacing. It had been regrouted by the look of it though and the shower looked new and had different new/modern tiles behind it.
So if it has been refurbished, it has been done in a half hearted way.
If this is their best room, why won't they show a photo on the website?
I get the impression they want you to think it's modern and new throughout, so only show the other rooms it would seem.

On a positive note though, a nice sea view from the room. We had a peep next door at the other superior room (12A) and our one did look nicer than that!
We also looked at room 1 and 4 at the other end of the corridor. They were standard sea and inland rooms. They were much smaller and although cheaply furnished, were like the ones shown on the web and had modern furnishings with the nice bathroom. (I would have preferred the sea view room one of these really).

Sorry to go on (if you are still here!) but one last thing..keep an eye on the room prices as they seem to go up and down. I'd looked at the late rate on the website and rang to book. The receptionist emailed me confirmation with the same rate for both nights but the total added to £20 more than rate shown. I rang straight back and she said, Oh I see what you mean..it must be VAT? I'll get the head receptionist to call you tomorrow. She never did call back so I called her two days later. She said it's dearer for the Friday night so that's why it's £20 more. I replied that it's not what I'd been sent on my confirmation or what I saw on the website, but I wasn't prepared to argue over £20 as I was looking forward to staying with them. So I paid the total they had asked for.

At check-out when asked if everything was ok, I was telling the receptionist all of these concerns mentioned above and the general manager walked by just as she was saying, sorry about that...but was everything else ok? Now if I was the general manager, my ears would have pricked up and I'd have spoken to that guest immediately.

The other thing was, they knew it was a birthday so it would have been a nice touch if they'd had left a card in the room or say a Happy Birthday, but nothing! Dosen't cost them anything.

I will add photos of superior sea view room 14 for you all to see and you may love it, but it just wasn't to my taste or standard sadly.

Room Tip: Sea View room is nicer but if you want modern, go for standard sea view
1 Thank Londontraveller008
Ibiza, Spain
Reviewed 15 April 2012

I took my two children to the The White Lion (11 and 9) for the Easter weekend. Very good breakfast, we also had some friends joined us and we ate in the private dining room. The service and food were excellent and I have to say that the bill was very reasonable too! We will definitely be back, especially when the weather is warmer - I can't think of anywhere I'd rather be!

Room Tip: Go for a sea view room
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Great to read you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope that you will come back and see us soon. Best Wishes
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 April 2012

We have just returned from a two-night Easter break at The White Lion and can thoroughly recommend this lovely hotel/restaurant. Peter and all his team were exceptionally welcoming, friendly and helpful. Accommodation and food both of a high standard. It is expensive for Suffolk but worth it overall, we felt. We would definitely stay again if we return to this part of the world.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are worth the extra money.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you! I am pleased to read you enjoyed Easter with us. I do hope to see return back to the White Lion very soon. Best Wishes
norfolk
Reviewed 9 April 2012

From the minute we walked in to the time we left we had excellent sevice.
The hotel is in an excellent location, it is clean and well maintained.The food was delicious and there was always service with a smile.We were travelling as a family group and we were made to feel very welcome and the children were well atteneded to.The manager is always present and runs a very efficent hotel.Our room was towards the back of the hotel, and was very quiet in the vening which was ideal for the children.
This hotel gives 5* service,and we are looking forward to coming back next year,hopefully to stay in a larger sea view room.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for the feedback. I am pleased that you had a great time. The team and I work hard to make the White Lion hotel our guests home whilst they are with us. Stay in touch. Best Wishes
Croydon, London
Reviewed 9 April 2012

We stayed for 2 nights in this hotel in early April. Without exception all the staff were very friendly and efficient and we were greeted each time we were passing the reception area. We had requested a quiet, top floor, sea view room and that is exactly what we were given (Room 38). This room was nicely decorated and spotless and the bathroom was modern with the usual toiletries. There was a tea/coffee/biscuit tray which was a nice touch. We were able to control the level of heating which was helpful as the weather was changeable over the days we visited. We only had breakfast at the hotel as we were visiting family nearby and this was excellent and served quickly and with pleasant efficiency. This hotel has got 'customer service with a smile' down to a fine art which is refreshing to see. Well done!

Room Tip: Room 38 was quiet and at the end of the corridor so no noise from passing guests!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your kind words. It was a pleasure to meet you during your stay. Best Wishes
norwich
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Sadly we only booked a one night stay. Could not fault the experience in any way. The service and staff were exemplary, as were the standards of hotel fittings and furnishings throughout.
Food in restaurant also reached the same high standards.
I have stayed in many hotels in U.K. and overseas and The White Lion has to be at the top of my favourite places to visit again.
Lovely postion on sea front.
The hotel has undergone a total refurbishment which is classy and comfortable, but keeping a relaxed atmosphere.
We stayed in early March with friends and will definately visit again, a tonic.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
WLAldeburgh, General Manager at The White Lion Hotel, responded to this review, 10 April 2012
Thank you for your great feedback. It is much appreciated. It was a pleasure to meet you during your stay with us. I do hope t see you back at the White Lion again very soon. Best Wishes
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aldeburgh
The Brudenell Hotel
Satis House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Yoxford
Thorpeness Golf Club & Hotel
Salthouse Harbour Hotel

Been to The White Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!