“Wonderful start to 2012”

and 1 more site!
The White Lion Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Aldeburgh
Reviewed 30 May 2012

We stayed in the White Lion Hotel on New Years Day 2012 and were very impressed with the excellent location of this fine Hotel. We were lucky enough to get free parking outside the hotel, as this area gets very busy, but the hotel does also have some parking behind. We stayed in one of the budget rooms which was more than adequate for our requirements. As we stayed on a Sunday night, dinner had to be a roast and it did not disappoint. The meal was served in a true gastro style and I must say was delicious. We are frequent visitors to Aldeburgh and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chris J
WLAldeburgh, General Manager at The White Lion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2012

Happy New Year! Hope 2012 is going well for you. Hope to welcome you back for this new year. Stay in touch. Best Wishes

Write a ReviewReviews (1,519)

Reviewed 29 May 2012

My wife and I wanted to go somewhere special for our anniversary night, We could not have made a better choice! We had a lovely room, a sumptuous dinner and a wonderful breakfast. The food was freshly cooked and served with a smile! The staff were efficient and friendly, and seemed to have a knack of making us feel very special. I will definitely recommend the White Lion.

1  Thank Keith M

Thank you so much for your kind words, as always it is a real pleasure to have you stay with us. See you back here very soon. Best Wishes

Reviewed 28 May 2012

Overall the hotel is very nice there are a few minor issues which i believe they should attend to the first being the entrance door, yes door. As the bag carrier in the family I found trying to navigate 2 weekend bags through a swing door then a single door which are basically on top of each other quite amusing although after the third attempt I won through!. The second and again being picky is the 'refurbished bathroom'. we stayed in room 14, very nice, but the shower had had some modern tiles applied over old mother of pearl tiles which really didnt go, and creaky floor boards throughout the room isnt our thing
The resturant is good and the staff there where excellent although on the Staurday evening and Sunday breakfast it did appear under staffed but must say nothing was compromised. all in all I would recommend this and the location is perfect.

1  Thank 276Alan_W_12
WLAldeburgh, General Manager at The White Lion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2012

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback. I am pleased you enjoyed your time with us.
I do hope you will return soon. Best Wishes

Reviewed 24 May 2012

We have used the hotel before although I think it has been updated. The room was pleasant dinner very good indeed as was my breakfast my wife had very little for breakfast and cannot comment.The staff very helpful but I think the clothing for the men boarded on scruffy but perhaps you should put this view down to my old fashioned ideas. When next in Aldeburgh we
expect to stay again

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review. I am pleased to read you enjoyed your time with us. I do hope you will come back and see us soon. Best Wishes

Reviewed 22 May 2012

booked this at the last minute and stayed just 1 night over Easter weekend.
Was a lovely hotel,great staff,friendly and helpful.
We were really pleased because we were able to take our little dog with us.Sadly the weather was miserable. But we had a lovely evening,having dinner at the hotel,which was faultless with great service.
Breakfast in the morning was just as good.
I thought it was a bit expensive origionally,but the room,food and service was really good.
We had a room at the back of the hotel (overlooking carpark) which was fine,but im sure the front seaview rooms would be worth the extra.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
WLAldeburgh, General Manager at The White Lion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2012

Thank you for your feedback, it is much appreciated, I am very pleased to read you enjoyed your time with us. I look forward to welcoming you back again very soon. Best Wishes.

Reviewed 22 May 2012

in Aldeburgh. but when I stayed there, last summer, I ordered oysters to start followed by dover sole. Chef said the oysters were not fit to serve and because it was busy they had run out of dover sole. This during their fish festival week.
After complaining to the Hotel Manager, he took my name and room number, and did nothing what so ever.
To be fair the room was ok as was breakfast, the location lovely.
They sell dover sole from the sheds directly opposite the hotel. I took some home a day later.

Room Tip: Get sea view
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank forestAndorra

Thank you for your comments. Firstly I am a little suprised it has taken you so long to post a reply about your visit from last sumnmer. I do recall this conversation, and I am sure I replied as requested. In terms of the Oysters it is not often we have a quality issue with our seafood being so close to some wonderful produce from both the land and sea, however when we do, our head chef will not send any from the kitchen he is not happy with in terms of quality. I am sure you will see the importance of that , especailly when it comes to seafood. If he had not taken the remaining oysters off the menu that evening, I would no doubt be reading a review from you about the quality. As for the Dover Sole, this was a special on that day and like most venues, the specials are limited to numbers based on what chef has prepped for that evening. I would welcome you to email me directly on generalmanager@whitelion.co.uk .Best Wishes

Reviewed 20 May 2012

We just got home after two lovely nights at The White Lion. We pciked it on a whim having failed miserably to find an affordable weekend in Amsterdam - and we're very glad we did. The hotel is lovely, the staff are terrific and Aldeburgh itself is a gorgeous place, totally unspoilt. We wanted soemwhere to relax, and relax we did. On arrival we had a wander and stopped for a drink in The Cross Keys, great pub, great beer and friendly staff; we ate in the hotel the first night and it was scrummy. Saturday we spent at Minsmere, the RSPB Reserve not far away - we saw Marsh Harriers and Avocets and even heard the mysterious and quite rare Bittern... and a Cuckoo!! Saturday evening, we ate at The Lighthouse on the High Street - highly recommended, the food was superb and the staff were utterly brilliant. I can honestly say that for a first visit, we were blown away - the only things we could possibly complain about was a) the weather ( abit grey) and b) we had to go home. We have resolved to return and spend mor time in this very beautiful part of England.
One thing to be aware of - we booked online via a popular bookings site at a room rate of £95 per night... or so we thought. When we checked out the rate they had sent to the hotel was £145. It was obviously too late to sort it out, and it wasn't the hotel's fault - so be sure to check your online confirmation is correct (we didn't :-( ). But even that annoying surprise couldn't take the shine of a wonderful weekend.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for finding the time to leave feedback with tripadvisor. I am thrilled to read you enjoyed your experience with us at the White Lion, It was a pleasure to meet you during your stay. Hope to see you return very soon. Best Wishes

Also consider these accommodations in or near Aldeburgh
The Brudenell Hotel
Thorpeness Golf Club & Hotel
The Ship at Dunwich
The Ship at Dunwich
#1 of 1 in Dunwich

Been to The White Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!