“Mr Nigel Sandford”

The White Lion Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Aldeburgh
“Mr Nigel Sandford”
Reviewed 4 January 2013 via mobile

We visited this hotel at New Year 2012 and enjoyed it very much so I booked again for new year 2013 arriving on the 3rd, what a difference a year makes!. Our meal the first evening was poor, poor, poor, service was so slow and the food was of average quality, nothing like our last visit, when the food was excellent, the coffee was undrinkable. Next morning my wife ordered scrambled egg on toast, the eggs were cold, I had coffee which I figured must be better this time, it wasn't. We went out for the day putting the clean label on the door and handing the key to reception, the room was not serviced, at all, even the beds weren't made, we were told housekeeping had gone home. This morning I ordered haddock and poached egg, The egg was served absolutely stone cold. What ever has happened to this hotel I don't know, I'm so disappointed. Perhaps the Manager should concentrate on the fundamentals of hotel management before he continues his prodigious email marketing.

Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (559)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 January 2013

We booked a special offer short break at the White Lion just before Christmas for the weekend of 28th/29th December which included one dinner and also afternoon tea. The staff were all very helpful and friendly, in particular the restaurant manager who returned my wife's handbag when she left it in the restaurant on Friday night! The room was very warm and comforable with a good size bathroom and very quiet even though it faced the main road. We really enjoyed our break and will definitely return later this year as it is a great hotel in a fantastic area.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
WLAldeburgh, General Manager at The White Lion Hotel, responded to this review, 17 January 2013
Thank you for your comments after your recent stay with us. Do stay in touch and I look forward to welcoming you back with us very soon. Best Wishes and Happy New Year.
Suffolk uk
Reviewed 3 January 2013

We have just returned from a special break offer at the White Lion, the room rate included a superb afternoon tea, three course dinner from the a la carte menu, bottle of wine and of course a great breakfast. Superb value for money.
All the staff and management were very attentive and helpful, and always had a nice smile for their guests. We paid a small supplement for a sea view room, which was great looking over the beach and fisherman huts. We visit Aldeburgh many times every year, as we love the town and surrounding area, but this is the first time at the White Lion, ......we will be returning.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback, Much appreciated. I do hope to see more of you throughout the year, stay in touch. Best Wishes for 2013
United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 January 2013

Didn't intend to have a full meal but it looked so good we did! Arrived coats taken, a seaview table cleaned and set up for us. Nothing too much trouble. Food fabulous, service impeccable. Shame the sister hotel The Brudenell couldn't match the service oh well their loss was the White Lions gain

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank Tricia P
Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. I have shared this with the team who were delighted to read what you had said. They all work very hard to ensure allof guests are welcomed and feel at home. I do hope to see more of you in 2013. Best Wishes
Norwich
Reviewed 2 January 2013

Experienced our first 'New Year' at a hotel we already love. Great efforts all round by the staff to make us really get into the spirit of New Year, which was greeted by a piper who serenaded the launching of sky lanterns over the North Sea at 01:00 hrs.
So good was our stay that we booked to stay for Christmas 2013 - maybe we'll see you there dear reader.

• Stayed December 2012
Thank you so much for your comments. I am pleased to read that we met your expectations once again. We aim to please! Hope to see you more of you this year. Best Wishes
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 January 2013

Whilst the hotel was nice and clean, we were disappointed considering the good reviews we'd seen/had. The reception and restaurant staff seemed inexperienced, rushed, a little robotic, and, at one point in the restaurant, rude. For an evening meal the prices were reasonable, but the service and atmosphere was a bit too fussy and stuffy for us. The menu was quite traditional and didn't really offer anything exciting. My ox cheek main tasted nice, but I was suprised to find some chicken mixed with it! Admittedly I didn't complain about this, as I'd nearly finished, and the meal itself was nice, but I found it a bit worrying. At breakfast my orange juice was thrown into my class by a waitress with a carafe, spilling it onto the table; then my pot of tea was quickly poured into my cup before it had brewed. As I say, fussy and (probably as a consequence) rushed service. However, the breakfast itself was excellent, nice local stuff (kippers, local bacon/sausages) and generous too.
The room was nice, but the walls paper thin, I could hear a mobile phone vibrating in the next room very clearly! My paper didn't arrive in the morning as requested, and there were no spare blankets in the room.
We didn't have a terrible time, far from it, but I think the fact that Aldeburgh is so nice is the only reason we'd rate our stay as high as 'average'. Disappointing.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Kalkan, Turkey
Reviewed 2 January 2013

The attentiveness of the staff and the Manager made our stay feel marvellous, however the New Years Eve food was far too much and dragged on for too long!!! We had canapés at our table instead of the normal "mingeling' and being offered a selection. We were sitting on our bots for a long drawn out dinner for three hours with four strangers with not even a hint of background music.
The dinner was very adventurous and didn't make the grade. Generally a good atmosphere though.
Music was delivered by way of a disco!!
Piper, Fireworks and lanterns all very New Year and well done.
The food the following night was not so good. I had been lusting after "fish and chips" but my lusting was lacking!!! Soggy batter, frozen chips Yak. Not what I expected. Didn't complain,,,,, couldn't be bothered.
Breakfast the next day wasn't so good either :-( waited for 50 mins and our friend had eggs like bricks,,,,,soggy underdone toast. Oh Hells bells hate moaning, but the price we paid for three days they should get it right. Not risking eating here again.
Room, view etc can't fault. It would have been great to have had the full package.

Room Tip: Room 14 has a wonderful view