“Beatles Mania Weekend Treat”

and 1 more site!
The White Lion Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Aldeburgh
Reviewed 10 April 2013 via mobile

We went with friends for the Beatles weekend, after we were very impressed with the hotel in December when we came for just a meal. However this time our expectations weren't as pleasing.

Check in on the Friday afternoon was pleasant enough, it would have been nice to be shown to our room and also our bags brought up for us.

We paid extra for a sea view.

Room 1 wasn't huge but it was nice and bright with plenty of sockets dotted around the room. Tea and Coffee facilities, bath robes, and iron with ironing board all in the room.
Sadly, the windows were absolutely filthy. I do appreciate the sea breeze,dust and seagulls but these windows had not been touched in many months. The middle window bottom had been attempted to be wiped by staff who had pushed their hand under the window, this actually made it worse. When you are selling a sea view, room presentation is critical to get guests to return. In my view Window cleaning needs to be done more regularly to enhance the hotels presentation.
We had to jam a piece of card under the tea drawer to keep it closed, this was a safety issue as it rolled out, so if you were to get up in the middle of the night you would actually knock your legs into this drawer Quite dangerous and should have been noted by staff and dealt with.
We had a dirty water glass that needed to be changed. These are minor irritations that could have been seen to prior to new guests checking in. In my opinion the room had not been checked that morning. Dust was on he small table and windowsill.
Another bug bear was I requested fresh milk from reception at the same time that I took the dirty glass down, the receptionist was friendly and apologised for the glass and arranged for the fresh milk, Great. After our walk we arrived back in our room to find fresh milk in a jug on the tea tray but this had been spilt over the tray and left???? I cleaned this up later that evening, but surely the staff member should have been taught about presentation, guest satisfaction and cleaned this up immediately? It seems little things that don't seem important are overlooked let this hotel down.
The bathroom itself was spacious, clean and tidy no fault there.

The Beatles evening itself was fantastic. The band was brilliant, friendly and one member did walk around the guests during the evening which was a nice personal touch.

A 4-course Dinner was part of the package and you were seated in a banquet style. Our friends and also myself had phoned the hotel prior to the evening to tell them we were actually a foursome and required to sit together, we had both been assured separately this would be arranged. On the evening we did have to remind staff 3 times that we had come with friends and requested to be sat with them, this was arranged without any problems however had we not checked earlier that afternoon this might have been a issue.
The set menu included calamari as the starter to which I don't eat. The restaurant staff were very helpful, polite and offered me an alternative without any problems. Strawberry sorbet followed then chicken and a berry mousse, coffee and chocolates. The food was fine not great but considering the amount of people it was hot and enjoyable. Mass catering came to mind.
We danced all night and had a super evening.
There was no noise from other rooms so the night was uneventful.

In the morning breakfast is served efficiently with great staff who take your order. The cooked breakfast was lovely and you could have ordered more if you so wished.

Check out is 11am so a little early esp for a Saturday morning after a very late night.
There was only 1 person on the reception so there was a queue to check out. This again needs to be addressed as there was 4 other guests and myself checking out at the same time.

It was lovely to see the hotel manager actually on the shop floor, I did express my little niggles regarding the dirty windows, the tea tray sticking out and spilt milk but praised him on a good evening and his staff. I did give him my room number and did wonder if he would send someone up to check tea tray and milk spillage. Sadly not as when we arrived back in our room the spillage was still there!

Overall, I was abit disappointed this visit after such a fantastic experience last time we came. My expectations were high on staying here. The staff are friendly and seem to enjoy their job, nothing is too much trouble so I can't fault them. There are just a few areas that need addressing.
The White Lion has some great evenings planned this summer which many we wish to attend.

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank Tricia P
WLAldeburgh, General Manager at The White Lion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2013

Firstly thank you for your review, however I am sorry you felt the need to post on tripadvisor after we had spoken on the evening of the beatles and the following morning in the foyer, and after which you seemed satisfied I had listened and taken on board any issues you brought to my attention.

In regards to the windows, I did explain to you that we have experiened some extreme weather conditions over the last 4 weeks, and it has been unsafe for our contractors to clean the windows during this time. As I mentioned when we spoke, we clean the whole hotel every month inside and out, and weekly on the ground floor public areas. I can assure you though that the windows have not been left for months, it was unfortunate due to the poor weather recently.

Moving on to the drawer, I personally went to room 1, and it seems that during the cleaning process of the bedroom the unit had been moved slightly and may of not been sliding open at that time of checking the rooms that morning. I did move the unit back a fraction and this has now resolved the issue. Again, if this could of been brought to my attention when you checked into the room on arrival,either myself or our housekeeing team would of ensured it was corrected immediately. The glass was not dirty, however a lime scale mark, again this has been noted by the housekeeper to check for.

Your point about the seating arrangements is very strange, as you asked the team on 3 occasions about sitting with your friends,and of every occasion you were informed yes. Your comment about the fact there may of been an issue is invalid as there clearly no need for you to be concerned.

Check out at 11am is standard across many hotels, however as stated clearly in the guest folder we do offer a late check out service if requested.
In regards to the queue for check out, this is never really a problem, however there were a number of check outs at the same time, and the style of our operation in to have a reception desk rather than a counter to enhance the guest experience as a relaxed, no barriers and less formal feel which is more often comended than seen as negative.
As we are a small hotel with character, we do not have the space for a huge reception desk that one would expect to see at airports and city locations.

I note your comments in regards to talking to me, Thank you for your kind words. I was under the impression from our conversation that the spillage of milk you had dealt with yourself for which I apologised and informed the restaurant manager about straight away in reagrds to training.

All this aside, I am pleased you enjoyed the night, the band and found the staff attentive and helpful with customer service at the fore front of what they do. I am also thrilled you enjoyed the meal which was to your liking.

Best Wishes

Reviewed 9 April 2013

I was whisked away for a weekend by my husband, as a birthday surprise. We have been to Aldeburgh several times but this was the first time staying there. The hotel is lovely, recently refurbished in beautiful colours, fabrics and finishes. The seaview room was large, airy and apart from a couple of squeaky floorboards, perfect.

An added bonus is the parking that is unrestricted outside the hotel which allowed us to park right outside and not to have to keep moving the car as most of the rest of the town has short term parking only.

We ate in the hotel restaurant on Saturday evening; the staff were attentive and informed although perhaps a few too many younger staff vs a more mature setting - not a complaint, merely an observation and, certainly, there wasn't a sullen teenage face amongst them.

Given the chance, we will go back!

Room Tip: There are a few stairs so make sure you ask for one on a level floor if you have access problems.
1  Thank Lisa D

Thank you for your comments I am pleased you enjoyed yoru stay with us. We do have a young team, who do extremely well as you pointed out. Please stay in touch and we look forward to seeing you again soon. Best Wishes

Reviewed 8 April 2013

The hotel was clean and staff friendly and polite. The room had all the bits and bobs you expect. The shower over the bath was fixed in the ceiling , therefore not adjustable which I feel, should be, so it reaches the needs of the guests.In the corridor two curtains had come off the hooks which seemed to take a while to be rehung.
On the food side, the evening menu was the same every night,got a bit boring, although what we had was good.
fab being on the sea front, easy walks into the shops.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 493AmandaB493

Thank you for your recent feedback. I am pleased you have enjoyed your time with us. In terms of the menu we have on offer in the brasserie, this is a seasonal menu which has over 60 dishes from starters to desserts. We also offer a value for money prix-fixe menu that changes daily again with a choice of 3 starters, 3 mains and 3 desserts. If you could contact me on 01728 452720 I would be happy to discuss this in more detail. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon. Best Wishes

Reviewed 7 April 2013

Have just returned from a weekend break feeling devastated at the service we received but having had an enjoyable break at the White Lion. Let me explain....We booked the Beatles night with friends and decided to make a weekend of it, our friends returning home after the Beatles evening and us staying on an extra night. Check in was a bit of a disaster. Having booked in January and requesting rooms close by, we found that our friends were in room 1 and we were at the other end of the building in room 17. Not a massive problem, if somewhat slightly inconvenient, and the staff needed reminding that we were sharing a table at dinner although this was also explained when we booked in January. The Beatles were fab and my only criticism of the evening is that the dance floor is the size of a postage stamp and there's not enough room for everyone. You could not fault the food.

Our room was clean and tidy, and warm and cosy, although for a hotel of that cost (£365) we were surprised to find a piece of paper wedging the window shut and the ceiling flaking in the bathroom. The windows could have done with a clean too..inland view into a courtyard, so no sea breeze excuse there really! But we hadn't gone for the view, or to stare at the bathroom ceiling...the bed was comfy and clean, and the room relatively quiet. Breakfast was excellent, pleasant waiting staff and nothing too much trouble - and nice that it wasn't a buffet but you could have anything or everything from the menu in any combination! I was really looking forward to dinner on the Saturday night, included in the package price, just me and the other half and a bottle of wine, but when I went to ask about it I was told that it was not included in our particular package. Now, I was sure that it was, but the receptionist looked it up and said it wasn't - and as i had no evidence to the contrary, just my thought - we didn't argue and walked up the high street in the evening and ate elsewhere. When we came to check out I noticed that they had put dinner on Saturday evening on the bill. When I questioned it I was told that it was included in the package price.... They subsequently removed the cost from the bill but the damage was done. We were looking forward to a romantic dinner and instead we had to trawl the high street for food...one restaurant couldn't fit us in, one was closing early due to lack of custom and we finally got in at the Regatta, which turned out to be amazing, but that's not the point!

Would we go back? Now that's the question. The hotel was homely and welcoming, if slightly overpriced. The manager was friendly and the staff were accommodating. But...I could have cried when I knew I had booked a romantic dinner for two and was told that I hadn't, only to find it later on the bill...So, we had a good time....but we COULD have had a PERFECT time!

Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank jonnywizznbee
Reviewed 6 April 2013

This was the first time we had stayed at the White lion what great place to stay We had a sea facing room which was very nice the staff were very polite and could not do enough for you food was excellent also one night we stayed they had a beatles night which was excellent would liked to have stayed on the six of July for the sixties night but are fully booked will be staying there again in the future from Freda and Norman packer

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Wow, thank you for your feedback. I am thrilled we made your special occasion perfect. We look forward to sharing this special day with you next year? Stay in touch and see you soon. Best Wishes

Reviewed 5 April 2013

Once again enjoyed our stay.Staff always friendly and helpful, food excellent.Hotel creates a good ambience.Special thanks to night porter.Look forward to visiting again soon.

Colin and Monica Paul

Bedford

Room Tip: Advise sea view.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your card that you sent to me, it was appreciated. We do hope to see you again soon. Please get in touch when you come back so I can persoanlly welcome you. Best Wishes

Reviewed 4 April 2013

My Wife and I have just returned from a very pleasant 2 night stay in celebration of our 30th wedding anniversary.

We stayed in Room No. 1 with very nice sea views - albeight of a very choppy sea indeed during our stay in early April! We were even greeted with snow when we were loading the car on the morning of our departure.

Our initial arrivial and booking-in was smoothly handled by a very pleasant and polite receptionist. We had one evening meal in the Hotel that was very nice indeed. My Wife took up the offer of 2 courses for a fixed price. I plumped for items form the main menu. Both of us were very satisfied. Once again, all staff connected with the Restaraunt were very polite and helpful.

We will return at some point in the future.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

It was a pleasure to meet you during your stay and we all look forward to welcoming you again soon. Stay in touch, Best Wishes

Also consider these accommodations in or near Aldeburgh
The Brudenell Hotel
Thorpeness Golf Club & Hotel
Randolph Hotel
Randolph Hotel
#1 of 4 in Southwold

Been to The White Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!