“Christmas party night”

and 1 more site!
The White Lion Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Aldeburgh
Reviewed 22 December 2013

A fantastic stay the Christmas party night was the best in 30 years like I say Fantastic from booking up to checking out 10/10. It's nice to go to a bar and talk to a barman that has local brewery experience summed up and recommended some good drink (not all to my pallat but I really needed a week) Believe me I am not easily pleased.

• Stayed: December 2013
WLAldeburgh, General Manager at The White Lion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2014

Thank you for your kind review. I am pleased you enjoyed the party night with us. We do love Christmas at the White Lion. The team work extremely hard to ensure all of our guests during the festive season have a great time celebrating! Hope to see you this year too. Happy New Year and Best Wishes

Reviewed 21 December 2013

For the third year in a row the White Lion impressed us with another brilliant Santa Sunday. Fabulous food, amazing service and great entertainment for the whole family. It always starts our Christmas celebrations off perfectly - and we can't wait to do it all again next year!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Wow, thank you very much for your kind words. The whole team work hard to ensure Santa Sundays are a success. As I have mentioned before on here, they are very special and magical to kids and big kids! From the face painting, magic show at the tables, the kids show and of course the visit from Santa. not forgetting the gift for every child, finished off with a kids disco! Happy New Year and hope to see you at the next one. Best Wishes

Reviewed 19 December 2013

Had a lovely stay. The room was comfortable, the restaurant and bar excellent, and the location overlooking the beach is fantastic. The staff are friendly and helpful as well. I'd definitely recommend to others.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your review. I am delighted to read you enjoyed your time with us. We are very fortunate to be situated on the wonderful east Anglian coast, and even more so the amazing beautiful unspoilt seaside town of Aldeburgh. I will share your thoughts with the team. Best Wishes and Happy New Year!

Reviewed 18 December 2013

We had a brilliant time at the Santa Sunday. It is our third year attending this and all of the children (and adults) in our party had a extremely enjoyable time. The menu on the day was absolutely brilliant with a huge choice of beautifully presented dishes. The really wonderful thing about the White Lion apart from the decor, choice and quality of food is the service. From the moment you are greeted as you arrive to the moment you leave, nothing is to much trouble. The relaxed atmosphere is created by the staff and it is a wonderful thing to be part of it!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Santa Sunday is a fantastic way to prepare for Christmas with the family. The kids ( and big kids!! ) enjoy themselves in the magic from the moment they arrive to when the big man comes himself. We hope to welcome you back this year too. Best Wishes & Happy New Year.

Reviewed 17 December 2013

Comparing my view of the White Lion with those of the many reviewers who felt close to ecstatic, I’m compelled to conclude that they are, perhaps, appraising their own emotional experience rather than what the White Lion is and does. It really is not near-perfect as so many seem to think, but reasonably competent and with some flaws. Incidentally, I had been hoping to experience perfection as our visit marked a significant event for my wife, so to be misled by fellow Tripadvisors was a disappointment. Try to keep it sober, please, in future.

Parking at the front on the street was easy, uncontrolled and free, whilst the hotel’s car-park at the rear was crowded and awkward. The building is of some age – late Victorian would be my guess – and beautifully situated across the minor coast-road from fishermen’s huts and shingle beach. That led to the first disappointment. Whoever is responsible for the décor might have taken a leaf from the Holiday Inn design guide of the 1990s. All character has been stripped out, to be replaced by an incoherent and dated – sometimes minimalist, eclectic – scheme of decoration. It is, I suppose, an achievement of sorts to take an old building in Suffolk and impose on it a sense that one could be in any branch of any minor chain anywhere in the world.

There is perhaps a clue in that the WL is, in fact, part of a chain, the seven-establishment ‘TA Collection’, all concentrated in this part of the world. They also own the Brudenell, meaning that they own two of the three larger hotels in Aldeburgh. If I had known that at the time of booking I would probably have gone to the Wentworth, as monopolies, actual or nascent, rob customers of choice and should be resisted.

Our room was on the third floor, thoughtfully offered in response to our aghast expressions when the receptionist said there was a disco until midnight. The room was very quiet indeed, had a sea view from the third floor, was of a comfortable size with a bathroom that was adequate. The bed was admirably firm and comfortable, though the pillows were somewhat lumpen. All was well cleaned, except for the window, which had not been painted for several years (maybe ten?) and showed it. Opening the window was easy, but the wrong sash-weights had been used so that it promptly closed again, a problem resolved temporarily by wedging a water-bottle into the gap. (The housekeepers had no better solution as they left the arrangement intact.) Opening the window disclosed worm-holes and probable rot – a proper survey would not come amiss.

The restaurant menu offered mild amusement to the language snob: where French was used it sometimes misapplied accents or ignored them altogether and spellings were variable. My favourites were the Pre-Fix Menu (prix fixe?), ‘gratan’ (gratin?) and a wine called Vognier (Viognier?); there were others. I’m all for using French or any other language when it expresses something better than does the English equivalent, but please, please, get it right! Maybe I could offer a proof-reading service….?

The wine-list was brief but fine, all sourced from Adnams, so unlikely to house any turkeys, and (for a restaurant) not at unreasonable prices.

‘Hot’ chocolate was lukewarm at best. Breakfast was an exercise in miniaturisation. My quite tasty kipper was so small as to have been torn untimely from the bosom of its doubtless still-grieving family. Bacon came in similarly small rashers (two) and ‘tomatoes’ on the menu translated into half a tomato on the plate. The ‘scrambled eggs’ went back entirely as they did not resemble anything I have ever eaten of that description: floppy semi-solid slices of some matter between yellow and pink in colour that tasted vaguely eggy. The last time I was served anything like it was in a Trust House motel in Swansea 40 years ago; enquiry revealed on that occasion that it came out of a packet and was revived with water. Whether that was the case here I do not know. I was asked how I would like my roast beef cooked. Surely it comes off the joint as it is? No. It is roasted rare, then sliced and the slices are 'cooked' to my preference. Cooked? How? Not by roasting, obviously – so why ‘roast beef’? By that time I felt I was trying the patience of the excellent waitress too far and so did not pursue the matter. A steak was a bit tough and served in a fussy fashion, with an inconvenient small sieve full of chips that kept on falling off the wooden plank (why?) on which it was served.

Staff were mainly young, enthusiastic, charming and keen to please. Someone is keeping them happy – well done.

Perfect? No, but average, or perhaps slightly below, for what they were charging.

Critical reviews, I notice, often attract a response from management that they are grateful to have shortcomings pointed out and will deal with them immediately. Not good enough – many of the flaws reported in such reviews are matters for routine housekeeping or kitchen inspections, ought to have been caught at that stage and should never have come to customers’ notice.

Would I go back? Frankly, no.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank RetiredBrit
WLAldeburgh, General Manager at The White Lion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2013

Thank you for your review. I noticed you are a frequent reviewer. It would of been more beneficial to ask to speak with myself or a member of the management team whilst you stayed with us so we could of talked through your personal thoughts of the hotel. I do feel most of your review is based on your own opinion of the hotel décor and ambience. Should you wish to discuss this further pleased do call me 01728 452720 and I would be more than happy to talk with you. Thank you for bringing to my attention the spelling mistake on the set menu for that evening. I have addressed this with our restaurant manager. We do take feedback very seriously here at the White Lion, and through comments such as some of yours it will help us to improve the experience for future guests. Happy New Year. Best Wishes

Reviewed 16 December 2013

My wife Margaret and I have been regular visitors to the "White Lion Hotel" in Aldeburgh in recent years, and we have nothing but praise for the entire organisation.
Nothing is too much trouble, the rooms and the cuisine are first-class, and the Manager and Staff are a world apart from "the norm".
This year, like last, I convened a family party of about a dozen for "Santa's Party" on Sunday 15th. December, and my wife and I stayed over for two nights.
Everything was first-class, from the sincere welcome we received, through the fantastic children's party, to the qualtiy of the food. The individual members of staff were friendly, generous and extremely helpful, making all of us feel very special. The occasion could not have been bettered.
See you again soon!
Best wishes.
Jeffrey and Margaret Stansfield and Family.
Northowram, Halifax, West Yorkshire.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Mr Stansfield, it is always pleasure a have you with us. The Santa Sunday event is the perfect afternoon for a family reunion. One of the most magical events of the year! I am pleased you enjoyed all enjoyed it. Hope to see you more in 2014. Happy New Year to all of your family! Best Wishes

Reviewed 16 December 2013

We have stayed a few times now and last weekend we took our works Christmas party there. 27 of us stayed and a great time was had by all. The staff were very helpfull and made sure everyone was looked after and counted us all back in safely from our midnight paddle ! Would defiantly recommend this hotel for a romantic weekend away, a holiday with the kids or for a great social weekend .

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Sarah W

Thank you so much for your great review. I am pleased you enjoyed your time with us. The staff work extremely hard to ensure all of our guests are happy. It was a pleasure to meet you during your stay. I look forward to welcoming you back in 2014. Happy New Year...

Also consider these accommodations in or near Aldeburgh
The Brudenell Hotel
Thorpeness Golf Club & Hotel
Randolph Hotel
Randolph Hotel
#1 of 4 in Southwold

Been to The White Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!