The White Lion Hotel
  • Breakfast included
Eaton House B&B(Aldeburgh)
  • Restaurant
1,562 results
All reviewssea viewsea frontafternoon teafishold buildingbreakfast was excellentevening meallovely hotelwithout exceptionstayed for one nightcomfortable roomstaff were excellentkippersweekend breakfirst classshingle beachsecond visit
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I booked the White Lion for a weekend break, based on internet reviews as a first time visitor to Aldeburgh. I was a little nervous when I received a call from them a couple of weeks before our stay to let me know that there was going to be a wedding party taking place - but had a chat with them hotel and they just gave me the details and I felt much more reassured. After all, not many places would take the trouble to give advanced warning, and they kindly agreed to my request for a slightly later check out to thank me for my "understanding".
In any case, I needn't have worried. The White Lion seems to combine personal touches without being fussy or intrusive, but still retains the character of the building and location. Fantastic spot, overlooking the beach, smart decor without pretending to be something it isn't, small but well equipped room and bathroom. All very comfortable and welcoming. In the end, the wedding noise was minimal, I've stayed in much noisier places without any prior warning or apology!
Not a cheap option but not unreasonable either in my opinion. Would definitely return and recommend to others looking for a quiet bolt hole.

Room Tip: Seafront rooms cost a bit more but worth it - hey, you're by the sea so pay the extra for the view!
Reviewed 29 June 2014

This lovely seafront hotel is beautifully presented and the staff were not only efficient but also delightful, personable and friendly. The bar and restaurant are pleasantly appointed and there is a very interesting selection of artwork in both (and elsewhere in the building too). Dining in the hotel was relaxing and most of the dishes we sampled were very good. The River Deben mussels were the best mussels I've ever tasted. Sleeping was problematic but that was due to the seagulls - we couldn't blame the White Lion!

Room Tip: Check room accessibility because the lift does not serve all parts of the hotel. Ask for a sea view room if you don't want to look at a wall.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 June 2014

lovely hotel fantastic food, wonderful service. weather was kind o us, room 2 has a fire exit sign in it which is lit 24hrs so staff very kindly got us a room change for one with sea view, brilliant two days and nights, would stay again.

Room Tip: aviod room 2 if you need a dark room in which to sleep.
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Had an excellent three nights in the White Lion, lovely room, superb breakfast and very friendly and attentive staff. Good ales and evening meal was good value. My only really slight gripe was the pillows were hard.

Room Tip: Room 24 sea view and good al round room
1  Thank Wych
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Location, food and service excellent.
We stayed in Superior Sea View (12A) fantastic views but getting to the point where it needs a refubishment and smartening up - the great location makes up for this.
The staff were very good and 'switched on'.