“Nice hotel”

and 1 more site!
The White Lion Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Aldeburgh
Reviewed 26 July 2014

This is an old but nice hotel with a kind personnel.
The hotel is located just in front of the sea and is near of many pubs.
The breakfast and dinner was nice with a lot of choices ans good service.

A little bit expensive

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
WLAldeburgh, General Manager at The White Lion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Dear Montana

Our hotel is in fact the OLDEST hotel in Aldeburgh. Thank you for your kind comments.

There are newer reviews for The White Lion Hotel

Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

My husband booked this as "one of my 40 presents when I turned 40" (I know how spoilt I am) and it happened to co-inside with Mothering Sunday. This was the perfect opportunity to continue my celebrations with our lovely young daughters.

We often visit Aldeburgh as this is one of the nicest coasts to our hometown of Cambridge, however we had only visited once before one wind swept winters night having had a really poor experience at out usual Hotel The Wentworth just up the road.

We were pleasantly surprised at how friendly they were to us so when my husband saw them running an incredible deal where you received afternoon tea and a three course a la carte meal plus a bottle of delicious (not cheap) wine and Breakfast he booked straight away!

We had a sea view family room which was a little tired but suited our needs, it was a nice touch to have towelling robes.

The staff didn't disappoint second time around and where incredibly polite, welcoming and accommodating (another one of my presents was to make my own Gin at Adnams in Southwold and I needed to be there by 2pm) the staff kindly and without question arranged for us to have our afternoon tea much earlier so we could enjoy it without eating too close to dinner and I was in Southwold on time!

The evening meal was extremely tasty and I really appreciated the kitchen adding a lovely birthday message to my dessert plate.

Breakfast was delicious although rather unusual to order absolutely everything from the waitress (juices, cereal etc)!

We then needed to do some serious walking to build up an appetite to eat again as we were booked in for Mothering Sunday lunch! The beach is the perfect backdrop and just wonderful to while away the morning!

Lunch was delicious and the service faultless considering it was by far the busiest day of the year we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and I was touched to receive some complimentary chocolates!

We will definitely be returning fingers crossed they continue to offer this brilliant deal!

Stayed: March 2014

Dear TeamThomas
What a lovely treat from your husband and I am pleased to read it was so well received. We look forward to welcoming you back – do keep an eye on our offers page on the website

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Good location. Comfortable stay with friendly staff. Dinner in the Bistro was excellent with attentive staff. Breakfast was a delight, as not the usual disappointing self service, with a good choice of delicious fresh food and cooked options all served with a smile.....a great start to the day.

1  Thank RAFT60

Dear RAFT
Thank you for your kind comments. I am pleased you had a comfortable stay and every moment was great.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

I stayed for one night having spent the day at Latitude Music Festival. The visit there was a taster and I wanted to spend the night in a comfortable bed in comfortable surroundings. I wasn't disappointed.

Whenever I spoke to a member of staff on the telephone before my visit, I found them to be very friendly, welcoming and accommodating. This was matched in every way by the staff I met on arrival.

I arrived about 8.30pm and although I didn't want dinner, it was a little early for room service but the receptionist kindly arranged for me to have a sandwich (tasty and well presented) and a glass of chilled wine served in my room. It was perfect.

This level of service was also reflected when breakfast arrived in my room the following morning. Everyone was charming and helpful.

I booked a double room with sea view and was a little disappointed by its size. It was a small room but for me, perfect. I spent a very relaxing and quiet night. I wasn't aware of any of the usual hotel noises.

Although I didn't experience the food in the restaurant, whilst having coffee in the bar the following morning, I heard guests comment very positively on the meal they had in restaurant the night before.

I will definitely return. It's a very good hotel in a lovely location. It gave me everything I had hoped for.

Room Tip: Double room, sea view is a little small but sunny and bright. Very quiet with little of the usual...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Margaret P

Dear Margaret
Thank you for your glowing review, I do hope you enjoyed Latitude. I am pleased to read every member of the team looked after you very well and you had a perfect stay.

We hope to see you again soon

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Great location, friendly staff, downstairs accomodation attractive and restaurant resonably priced.
Breakfast good, good menu for dinner, however meal was warm rather than hot.
Bedroom was small and average decor for the price. Car park small and double parking required with car keys having to be left in reception.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
WLAldeburgh, General Manager at The White Lion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Dear Gillian
Many thanks for taking the time to share your experience with us; I am pleased to read you enjoyed your stay. Aldeburgh is lucky to have free parking and The White Lion is fortunate to have parking bays in front of the hotel as well as the car park at the rear of the hotel.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

We booked the twin room with sea view for a one night stay as a treat and it was well worth it. The room was excellent, very spacious and with a perfect vista of the beach. Although we didn't eat in the restaurant that evening, the menu looked very tempting and we would certainly consider having dinner there in the future. Breakfast was good, with a decent selection of choices, and attentive service, in the bar area which is well presented in a contemporary style.

Overall, the staff were friendly and helpful, and having stayed once at the White Lion we would definitely return.

Room Tip: We were on the second floor which was high enough to be nice and peaceful.

Dear guest
I am pleased to read you enjoyed your stay with us, our a la carte breakfast and that you were well looked after by the team. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Very nice hotel in a lovely location ideal for walking and nearby birdwatching at Minsmere
Very friendly and helpful staff . Breakfast included was excellent good choice and the food in the restaurant in the evening was better than most hotels

Dear guest
Many thanks for taking your time to share your experience with us. I am pleased to read you enjoyed our unique location in the centre of Aldeburgh and the stunning new menu, our Head Chef Ben works very hard to ensure the Bar & Brasserie is of a high standard. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Peter

Also consider these accommodations in or near Aldeburgh
The Brudenell Hotel
Salthouse Harbour Hotel
Randolph Hotel
Randolph Hotel
#1 of 4 in Southwold

Been to The White Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!